Woobie Help

I am starting my first diy sewing project. I am starting with a woobie. My primary use for it will be search and rescue, it needs to be able to get wet and be abused a little bit. I am planning on sewing another after but I need this one to last for a year or two. Right now I am going to use 5oz Apex ClimaShield, then I planning on using 1.0 oz HyperD diamond Ripstop calendered for the outside and 1.1 oz Ripstop nylon uncalendered for the inside. Are these materials durable enough to last for a while. I am only choosing these fabrics because they are cheap. I am open to suggestions on fabric and techniques. I am planning on using this as a learning project in hopes of making a quilt and a sleeping bag for our search teams rescue litter. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I used 1.1 ounce Ripstop for mine. It has proved to be very durable. Only difference is I used Calendered finishes on both layers and 3.6 ounce Apex. Great piece of gear. Only thing I'll add is to consider 3.6 oz APEX instead, as it is very warm in itself when wrapping it around you as a supplemental heat source.

I used mine this fall and winter hunting season past as a blanket in my heated base camp, as a blanket in my unheated tent on top of my pad, and as a throw while hunting when setting. I shortened the length to 80 inches, didn't include grosgrain or tie outs along the perimeter, and have the weight down to about 13 ounces. Warmest, most comfy, cozy 13 ounces I own. It really did do away with needing and extra layer that just makes you hot when being active. It fits into a 6 liter stuff sack and, I then cinch it down to about softball size. I truly dont know why more people don't utilize these things as they are extremely lightweight, warm, HANDY, and effective. Good luck and God Bless

You should make a smoking jacket too. Smoking jacket generates/ can contain at one time more mojo than any other article of clothing. But it is a luxury as opposed to the woobie. Smoking jacket is always on my packing list.
30040c4038e1ec9eb858f8ea432198a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Benjblt

WKR
I am starting my first diy sewing project. I am starting with a woobie. My primary use for it will be search and rescue, it needs to be able to get wet and be abused a little bit. I am planning on sewing another after but I need this one to last for a year or two. Right now I am going to use 5oz Apex ClimaShield, then I planning on using 1.0 oz HyperD diamond Ripstop calendered for the outside and 1.1 oz Ripstop nylon uncalendered for the inside. Are these materials durable enough to last for a while. I am only choosing these fabrics because they are cheap. I am open to suggestions on fabric and techniques. I am planning on using this as a learning project in hopes of making a quilt and a sleeping bag for our search teams rescue litter. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I was thinking of making the same exact thing you are but with 1.0 HyperD on both sides. I'd like to add some attachments at the sides though. Did you make yours yet?