Stove options

So I’ve got a dilemma. I’m stuck between two types of stoves. This is for a 12x14 wall tent.

On one hand, the nu-way stoves seem nice. I really like the idea of the smaller footprint and the ability to have it on instantly, and likewise off instantly. No worrying about gathering wood or stoking a fire. While I’m aware that you need propane, anytime I bring the wall tent it’ll be car camping so throwing some propane in the back of the truck isn’t an issue. I’ve heard of people having issues with it heating, though. Some people have said that it doesn’t really do that good of a job, while others think it’s awesome and love it.

The old fashioned wood stove also seems nice, but keeping dry wood around camp(or bringing it with) is an additional chore. Then there’s the upkeep, stoking the fire or rebuilding it after a day of hunting.

I guess I’m looking for opinions from people who have had both. While the idea of the wood stove sure seems nice, I just know after a long day of hunting when I’ll likely be back to camp after dark, I’m not sure I’m going to want to bother with rebuilding a fire... same with the morning. The propane sounds nice in theory as well... if it’s not that efficient or won’t really heat the tent any appreciable amount then it’s a waste of time.

What would you do?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing beats wood heat and if have moderately dry wood it does not take that long to get it going strong👍

PNWGATOR

WKR
Ditto wood heat. Bought a Cylinder stove and couldn't be happier with design, performance and the service. Invest a bit of time at the start of the trip and get a good wood pile cut, split and stacked and kindling put together and building a fire at the end of the day is no biggie. Nice to go to bed with the fire going. Something magical about that. Not to mention the practical aspect of drying gear. We strategically place a pile of kindling and a few pieces of wood within arms reach for knocking the chill off in the morning. It's honestly not a big deal.