paratarp question

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
making the switch from a tent to a tarp, probably a paratarp. in your opinion will i need a fully waterproof bivy or just water resistant. first trip will be early season colorado. i plan on running a ba 17 bellyache mountain bag and a q-core slx. i have an old goretex military bivy that weighs 2lbs. if i don't need waterproof i can shave over a pound by going water resistant. any comments or advise would be appreciated
thanks in advance.

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
I just place my sleeping pad on a ground tarp. Weathered a really bad rain/snow/hail storm one night with high winds and stayed completely dry. I was shocked that almost no water came in under tipi walls. A couple times I thought my stove pipe was going to pull out and get smoke/embers everywhere. Everything held up.

Maybe I was just lucky......

mcseal2

WKR
I just run a small tarp or Tyvek, sleeping pad, and bag. I have not used a bivy in the Para or Megatarp with no issue. I run a HPG Serape or Kifaru Slickbag instead of down so I'm not as worried about moisture. Had those set ups out in some pretty good rains with no issue with the shelter pitched low and tight.

FlyGuy

WKR
Im no expert, but I don't think you have to use anything. I Just put my pad down and my bag on top of that. If it looks like a BAD rain is coming, then I might use my cat hole shovel to scrape out a shallow trench along the high side perimeter of my tarp if I'm worried about runoff water coming down off of a slope or something. I've only had that be a problem for me once during a real gusher, but the water really only trailed in for about 18" and maybe 2" wide. I just made a quick trench to stop the flow and that was the end of it. You really don't get much water inside at all. I do keep some tyvek in my kill kit and if it's been raining and the ground is already wet before I get set up, then I'll put it down as a floor until things dry up inside.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I use an ultralight Borah bivy. It does a lot for the 6 Oz it weighs.
Keeps bugs out
Keeps drafts & wind out
Keeps quilt and pad clean
Protects pad
Second barrier to ensure that I stay dry
I've used my paratarp in snow, wind, rain, you name it. I definitely think the UL bivy extends its effective use.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
L

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of info i'm looking for.

Pathfinder, how do you like the borah? which material did you get? any issues with condensation?

PMcGee

WKR
I use a ti goat raven omni when using my paratarp. Just for a little extra protection. I've never had any problems with condensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brendan

WKR
I use a TiGoat Bug Bivy. Sealed on the bottom - mesh on the top. Keeps my pad and bag or quilt together while protecting the bottom and doesn't retain moisture / condensation. I did have condensation issues with a TiGoat Raven Omni but that was during archery season. Might need more protection as you get later or colder / wetter weather?

Also, I have a Paratarp and it's pretty small. If it was my only shelter, I might consider a Supertarp unless you really want minimalistic.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I have spent a lot of nights under the paratarp with a bivy. I always run one. I had a waterproof event bivy, sold it to try a lightweight borah deal, and am thinking of a borah event bivy for waterproof protection again.

The reason waterproof is good is versatility. Also I like to pitch my tarp high, and the extra protection is nice, and eventually may be needed. Along with that I enjoy a bivy keeping all my sleeping gear together. I roll a lot at night.

FYI I had just as much condensation in my Ul borah as I did in my event bugaboo II bivy. As far as my future with the paratarp, shoulder season I'll bring a waterproof bivy, summer I'll run the UL borah.

mcseal2

WKR
I agree that the Paratarp is pretty small. It's definitely big enough for one guy and his gear but I generally prefer the extra room of the Mega for the fairly small weight increase. I mostly run it unless I'm concerned with footprint size. I got the Para for spiking out for a night or two away from my base camp, and liked it enough I got the Mega later. If I was to only own one the Super splits the difference and would do everything I need.

I have never used a Paratarp but I've spent a fair amount of nights under smaller, floorless shelters and I almost always use a UL bivy with my pad and quilt inside. I've been using a Borah Gear and Ti Goat Kestrel for several years now (both right at 6 oz.), and have no complaints. The only issues I've ever had with condensation have been when I've crawled inside with wet socks on, but that was to be expected, the water has to go somewhere as the socks dry out.

Lawnboi

WKR
As far as size goes. I really like the para size. If you plan on pitching it only tight to the ground, all the time I'd get bigger. I'm only 5'6 so I fit with it pitched tight, though it is a little small. The biggest plus is that you don't need a huge area to pitch, some of those tarps/tipis require some pre planned camping sites.

The magic of the paratarp is in the versatility in pitching

The para/bivy is one of my favorite solo shelters.

OP
L

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
that's all very helpful, thank you. do most people run the pole kit if you don't use trekking poles?

FlyGuy

WKR
I have the Super, but I typically use the pole kit if I'm near the truck just b/c it's fast and easy. I use my trekking poles if I'm spiking for a single night. If I'll be in that spot longer than a night and I want my trekking poles with me during the day, then I'll find some stiff deadfall limbs and cut to size.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk