Total 6 day MZ elk gear weight: 66.4lbs - is that crazy?

S.Clancy

WKR
I just ran through my list for an AZ rifle deer hunt (solo) this fall. I am right in line you weight wise (and packing water) except I am bringing 7 lbs of spotter +tripod. So if you aren't bringing that stuff you could prob cut 7 lbs.

I am more of a minimalist. I just did a 5 day scouting trip with enough food for 6. Carried 3 liters of water (no shortage of streams). Stayed at 30lbs with the only comfort item being a 1lb chair from REI.
There is no way in hell I would walk around with that much weight on purpose.

Depending on where you go down here in southern Colorado, there’s water all over this year. So far on all the outings I’ve been on, I’ve found water, even at 12k.

If you're set on a spot, and it sounds like you are, I'd pack in water early and cache it. Get your legs and lungs going, look at the country, get excited, maybe place some cameras, all that.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Not crazy when you are counting worn items like boots, rifle, binos, and carrying 7lt of water. I usually only count my, I know the other stuff is weight but for me at least worn weight is a little different than pack weight.

Also depending where I am hunting I carry far less water

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably too late to make changes for this trip but for future adjustments.
-Try to get your food to 1lb per day. Split and repackage a mountain house into two meals, that will also cut down on water.
-what pants, are the suspenders necessary? If you’re wearing 24oz pants plus 4oz suspenders in September you might consider a lighter pant as that weight pulls itself down.
-kelty cosmic is a great all around compromise bag but if you got the money you can save a pound here.
-chugach rain gear is heavy, even the newest version. Might be able to leave the pants behind.
-tarp. 26 is heavy. Including six stakes and stuff sack you can be 16-18oz for a silnylon 8x10
-crocs? Not sure if southern Colorado warrants those at 14.5. If just wanting a camp shoe some cheap flip flops will be fine and lighter
-merino base layers 22.6oz. I use kuiu peloton 97 top and bottom for a total of 10.9oz. The bottoms would primarily be for around camp and maybe the morning hours.
-Gerry puffy. These are great and it’s going to cost a couple hundred dollars to shave 3-5oz but it’s a place to cut some.
-Nalgene are bricks, 1liter bottles from the gas station are 1.4oz
-pack rain fly. Use a plastic bag to line the inside of your pack.

I hope not, but it was last year. All the water we found was down low and quite literally trickling streams. We were even making mini “dams” to be able to fill from.

We burned quite a bit a time descending/ascending for water every other day.

Current plan is full platypus, Nalgene, and 3 squeeze bags. If we’re able to find water up high, I don’t think carrying the empty squeeze bags & half empty platypus is a terrible plan b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had the same issue in my unit, 6 miles one way to the truck for water or a tiny wallow my filter clogged on in 1/2 bag

OP
ChurchAl

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
66c57301d7d133c13c224daaafbd3219.jpg

Saw some recent activity so I figure I should circle back. It rained all day, nearly everyday on our trip. It hailed some. The temperatures ranged from 30-80 degrees.

After 6 days, I tagged my first bull!

The good news here is we ended up carrying virtually no water; we used a sheet of tyvek and some garbage bags to collect the rain water at night.

I am really glad that I had the full set of rain gear, as my buddy didn’t fair as well with his lightweight set. If it isn’t in the forecast, I’ll probably just bring the jacket.

A few changes I have made for this year are upgrading my puffy, tarp, baselayers, pants, and leaving behind the Nalgene/crocks and some other unnecessarily heavy items based on everyone’s suggestions above.

If I haven’t used something in 2 years of backpacking, I probably don’t need it - excluding first aid

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited: