Bivy question

hunterman_78

Lil-Rokslider
How many of you guys run a bivy if you are using a tarp? I don’t just curious if I need to get a bivy since I’ll be using either a super or mega tarp. Thanks

How many of you guys run a bivy if you are using a tarp? I don’t just curious if I need to get a bivy since I’ll be using either a super or mega tarp. Thanks

I’m interested in this as well, but you’ll probably want to specify where and when you’ll be using the tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92xj

WKR
I run a bearpaw cuben fiber bivy with my mega tarp as well as my flat tarp. 7 ounce bivy, xtherm pad, ee quilt.

I run a borah gear snowyside eVent bivy with my 8x10 flat tarp or Supertarp. Keeps everything bundled and clean, bugs and critters out, and boosts temp a hair. As a bonus it can be used stand alone since it’s eVent material. Wouldn’t tarp camp without it.

The enlightened Equipment bivy is a good option. It isn’t full protection but it kept me dry in the rain under a tarp.

29125bc4f3820a1b4d4fcdcb49491feb.jpg

Beendare

WKR
FWIW,

I ran a tarp and a bivy many years ago. I ran into a couple issues with that setup.
My bivy would hold moisture next to my bag.

If I didn't run the bivy it was fine on nice days but on days of sideways rain and sleet.....hard to keep your bag from getting wet.

You can still run into problems with bugs...and mice and critters running over your bag and face in the middle of the night. No big deal but it can be an annoyance.

Finally I dumped the tarp and bivy for a Made in USA Tarptent that solved all of my problems ;full floor and bug mesh/ all in 2# 4 oz....lighter than my tarp and bivy....

Not quite the same feel of a tarp/bivy....or just a bivy on nice nights looking at the stars.....BUT I've had enough of those nice nights turn into pounding storms that I abandoned that setup.YMMV

I use a bivy about 90% of the time. A 6 oz. wt. penalty to keep my quilt/pad clean, dry, and contained is well worth it to me.

snowplow

WKR
Yes if its rainy. More for cleanlyness as stated above not more rain protection. But if not wet out l use tyvek because l think its a bit more enjoyable.

Check out the Borah Snowyside eVent bivy.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

snowplow

WKR
I have two that I use, a Ti Goat Kestrel and a Borah Gear that has bug netting about 2/3 up from the bottom to the head (can’t remember the model). Both weigh 6 oz.

How does the borah compare to the tiGoat?

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
I stopped using my Kestrel bivy because I always get moisture between the sleeping bag and the bivy. Anyone else get this?

I have had condensation build up between the top of my quilt and my bivy but it's only happened when I've crawled into the sack with very damp/wet clothes on, and the condensation mostly accumulated down in the lower foot box area. I'll occasionally sleep in my damp clothes, in order to dry them out throughout the night, and that's pretty much the only time when that has happened. It's never presented a problem really because I would still be dry and warm when I woke up the next morning.

snowplow

WKR
Never had that happened yet but the Bora snowyside bivy does have a zip-up invent down there. Just figured I'd mention it in case that was helpful to someone.

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
I get condensation every time even when I'm bone dry. The Kestrel is a more breathable bivy too. Go figure. I still carry it in some situations for a emerg shelter. Thanks guys.

When I used the BD beta light or mountain lt shelters a ground sheet was all I used.

Beendare

WKR
I stopped using my Kestrel bivy because I always get moisture between the sleeping bag and the bivy. Anyone else get this?
^Yep.

Everyones different....I'm one of those guys that gives off a lot of moisture when I sleep.....and don't like mice scampering over my face...so I gave up bivy's