Review of Zen bivy lite

josiahv

FNG
I'm a fan as well. I've never slept well in mummy bags (except for my old Montbell super spiral hugger), and, while I enjoy my simpler EE quilt for its weight, nothing beats the Zenbivy for comfort. Best sleep in the backcountry I've had. My 10 degree ZB keeps me warm into the teens with a baselayer and much lower with additional clothing layers.

GoatPackr

WKR
Does Zen Bivy come to any of the Sportsman shows? I'd really like to check out their options. Looking at their web page it looks like a lot of options.
Or are they available in stores someplace?

Kris

Dobermann

WKR
Does Zen Bivy come to any of the Sportsman shows? I'd really like to check out their options. Looking at their web page it looks like a lot of options.
Or are they available in stores someplace?

Kris
The site can be overwhelming at first.

All you really need is the 'Light Bed', so ignore the other styles. Then choose 25 or 10 degrees (F), and fast footbox or convertible, and you're done.

Or get both the 25 and 10 degree option so you're not carrying the extra weight when you don't need to.

Or, get really daring and go with a 25 degree fast footbox and 10 degree convertible, figuring that you might need the convertible if temps get hot.

Overview of the system is here, including a quick gif that shows the difference in the footbox design: https://zenbivy.com/pages/light-bed

GoatPackr

WKR
The site can be overwhelming at first.

All you really need is the 'Light Bed', so ignore the other styles. Then choose 25 or 10 degrees (F), and fast footbox or convertible, and you're done.

Or get both the 25 and 10 degree option so you're not carrying the extra weight when you don't need to.

Or, get really daring and go with a 25 degree fast footbox and 10 degree convertible, figuring that you might need the convertible if temps get hot.

Overview of the system is here, including a quick gif that shows the difference in the footbox design: https://zenbivy.com/pages/light-bed
Thanks for the pointers. I'm more concerned with bulk size than weight. The goats will pack it for me so it's more about space in the panniers.

Kris

Hows the fiddle factor.
I had a ugq quilt that was a very nice peice but I didn’t like the fiddling with it.
Still would get drafts occasionally.
It’s hard to beat just slipping in a bag even though it’s not as comfortable.
That’s why I’m considering a semi rectangular bag or possibly this.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hows the fiddle factor.
I had a ugq quilt that was a very nice peice but I didn’t like the fiddling with it.
Still would get drafts occasionally.
It’s hard to beat just slipping in a bag even though it’s not as comfortable.
That’s why I’m considering a semi rectangular bag or possibly this.

There’s no fiddling. Set up the footbox, clip the quilt into the sheet, done. Leave it set up from then on.

cjdewese

WKR
There’s no fiddling. Set up the footbox, clip the quilt into the sheet, done. Leave it set up from then on.
Yep, I even pack mine all connected. Inflate my pad, slip into the sheet and I am all set up. I roll a lot when I sleep and I have had 0 issues getting caught up in it at all.

Waxy

FNG
I've gone kinda off the deep end for all out comfort when it comes to camping, but I'm mostly on an ADV bike, not carrying it on my back.

The ZenBivy is AWESOME. For me anyway, it's night and day more comfortable than a bag, especially a mummy bag. The system and the fabric are the closest thing to being home in your bed that you'll find when camping. With the ZenBivy compression sack and strap system, it packs down to a very manageable size, and the weight is on par with most high end sleeping systems.

I've paired my ZenBivy with a Big Agnes Boundary Deluxe pad in the 30" wide long version. Again, it is AWESOME. I sleep on my back most of the time, and on my side as well. I can lay on my back, arms comfortably at my side, and be fully on the pad, which is the key part, and tucked in beautifully. The only sacrifice for that comfort is the rolled up pad is about 1" longer, maybe 1" bigger in diameter, and a few ounces heavier. 100% worth it for me. I sleep like I'm at home, and that's priceless.

Waxy

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
Damnit just bought my lite system 6 months ago. Still love it but wish they had this ultra lite when I ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.5x284

WKR
Damnit just bought my lite system 6 months ago. Still love it but wish they had this ultra lite when I ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can just order the current fast sheet and it's basically the same setup. The main weight savings is the sheet they now use for the ultra lite more like the previous Fast sheet.

You can just order the current fast sheet and it's basically the same setup. The main weight savings is the sheet they now use for the ultra lite more like the previous Fast sheet.

The new shell fabric and 900fp down will save a handful of ounces as well.

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the Zenbivy as well- both 10 and 25 degree quilts. I love it. No more mummy bags for this kid.