Light 1-Man Tent

Benjblt

WKR
I've been looking for a quick set-up light weight tent for 1 guy. I need something at least 30" wide to fit me and my sleep system comfortably. The two I've been looking at are the Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL2 and the Mountain Hardware Ghost UL2. Surprisingly the Big Agnes is lighter then the MH. I can get the Mountain Hardwear stuff half off though and the stuff seams pretty well built. I've looked at some of the 1 man options, like the Big Agness UL1, and some of the them are big enough but for a little extra weight it seems worth it to go with the two man. I'm planning on staying in the 2-1/2lb range. Have any of you used either one of these tents or have a better suggestion? I'm not interested in something floorless really. Feel free to mention some of those options but I'd rather stay focused on enclosed shelters like the two I mention. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Definitely get the 2 man version.
The first time I set up the BA fly creek I checked the tags to make sure it was the 2 man and not the 1 man.

jmden

WKR
TarpTent Rainbow (40"x 88" floor and mine is just under 2lbs--spent many, many comfy nights in this large one person tent) or TarpTent Bowfin 1.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
TarpTent Rainbow (40"x 88" floor and mine is just under 2lbs--spent many, many comfy nights in this large one person tent) or TarpTent Bowfin 1.

These look interesting. Larger and lighter. Do they seem durable? Able to hold up to the elements? Do the edges come up enough to create a sufficient bath tub? I hunt in Oregon so sometimes it get pretty wet.

jmden

WKR
Made from 30D silnylon--best guess is that material is more durable and stronger than what MH and BA are using in the tent you mentioned. 30D silnylon in incredibly strong for it's weight. I use it in my own tent designs for that reason. It is a bit light for floor material, but I've been using that Rainbow for a number of years and with a little care pitching and a trash bag underneath if rocky, I have yet to puncture the floor or have a leak. It is not a 4-season tent, however.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Made from 30D silnylon--best guess is that material is more durable and stronger than what MH and BA are using in the tent you mentioned. 30D silnylon in incredibly strong for it's weight. I use it in my own tent designs for that reason. It is a bit light for floor material, but I've been using that Rainbow for a number of years and with a little care pitching and a trash bag underneath if rocky, I have yet to puncture the floor or have a leak. It is not a 4-season tent, however.

Cool. Great recommendations. Thanks!

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR

One more question: What is the main purpose of the liner? Is it worth buying? It seems it's used for temperature regulations but I've never understood them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Multiple options in that weight and size range from TarpTent. Make sure you look them all over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have been using the big agnes for a while. I started with the 1 man and for just a few ounces you can get the 2 man a d the extra space is definitely worth it and it is plenty big for me and everything i carry. I have had no issues with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ

WKR
Tarptent shelters are well made, I've been using an older version of the Moment for about six years.
That said I just picked up a BA Tigerwall 2. It weighs about the same as the Tarptent but with 2 vestibules and a lot more room.

I had a Fly Creek UL1, absolutely hated the front entry.

tttoadman

WKR
Six moons lunar solo. I have the LE with the heavier floor. it sets up nicely with a trek pole. The poles they sell are for the summer hikers. The bathtub floor is really high. fully enclosed with a decent vestibule that you can cook under. single wall, so you will be rubbing the water off the sides and top. I am 5-10. I wouldn't really recommend for somebody shorter than me.

three5x5s

WKR
Six moons lunar solo. I have the LE with the heavier floor. it sets up nicely with a trek pole. The poles they sell are for the summer hikers. The bathtub floor is really high. fully enclosed with a decent vestibule that you can cook under. single wall, so you will be rubbing the water off the sides and top. I am 5-10. I wouldn't really recommend for somebody shorter than me.

Why do you not recommend this tent for people shorter than 5-10???

tttoadman

WKR

Why do you not recommend this tent for people shorter than 5-10???
with a decent pad I am hitting my head and feet quite a bit on the end walls. I even have it setup up very high. Just something to be aware of. I love this guy though.

sneaky

"DADDY"
with a decent pad I am hitting my head and feet quite a bit on the end walls. I even have it setup up very high. Just something to be aware of. I love this guy though.
Did you mean to say you wouldn't recommend it for anyone taller than you?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR

This is what the MH site says about the Ghost UL2. It seems that maybe 40D Nylon Ripstop for the floor would be stronger than 30D silnylon. But that would just be for the floor.
Fabric Body: Canopy: 15D Nylon Mesh Fly: 20D Nylon Ripstop 1200mm PU/SIL Floor: 20D Nylon Ripstop 1200mm polyurethane/SIL Poles:DAC Featherlight™ NSL
Pole Type: DAC Featherlight™ NSL
Fabric Fly: 10D Nylon Ripstop 1200mm PU/SIL
Fabric Canopy: 15D Nylon Knit Mesh
Fabric Tent Floor: 40D Nylon Ripstop 1500mm PU/SIL

work765

WKR
Had the tarp tent rainbow. Sold it. Now have the lunar solo and it’s a good little tent.

I've been looking for a quick set-up light weight tent for 1 guy. I need something at least 30" wide to fit me and my sleep system comfortably. The two I've been looking at are the Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL2 and the Mountain Hardware Ghost UL2. Surprisingly the Big Agnes is lighter then the MH. I can get the Mountain Hardwear stuff half off though and the stuff seams pretty well built. I've looked at some of the 1 man options, like the Big Agness UL1, and some of the them are big enough but for a little extra weight it seems worth it to go with the two man. I'm planning on staying in the 2-1/2lb range. Have any of you used either one of these tents or have a better suggestion? I'm not interested in something floorless really. Feel free to mention some of those options but I'd rather stay focused on enclosed shelters like the two I mention. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I run a UL 3. I prefer the extra space. From a design stand point, no issues. Had it in some nasty weather.

At 50% off it kind of a no brainer

work765

WKR
Spent the weekend trying to climb mt. Whitney and my friend actually bought a big Agnes’s fly creek 2 person for the trip. Unanimously we both said it needs to be returned. Kind of an odd shape, took some tinkering to setup right, personally I’m not a huge fan of how you get into it, and vestibule area is quite small.
aa41c87f767208ce09b3083cba1a5512.jpg