Solo and a 3 person Tent?

Jakerex

WKR
The past few years I used a big Agnes fly creek 2 tent and absolutely hated the front entrance. Looking for a change, I decided to find a big Agnes tiger wall UL2 for my new tent because it’s pretty light, has four walls and a floor, is self standing, and has side entrances including two vestibules.

So, my eBay tent came along today and I just bought it…..but it wasn’t exactly what I had in mind (bought it anyway). I bought a big Agnes tiger wall UL3. It was a very good price and in the short amount of time I had to make the decision, I thought “well chit, for the little extra weight (it’s 2lb 15oz with everything, compared to the 2 person tiger wall that is 2lb 5oz), why not have a larger tent to put stuff inside it, have more room to spread out, have larger vestibule areas, etc.

Now I’m second guessing my purchase. Is it dumb to have a 3 person tent for solo hunting / camping? Any downsides besides a little extra weight? I don’t do winter camping other than second season CO (yeah I know that could be winter), but do do camping throughout the rest of the year.

Hopefully some day my daughter comes hunting and camping with me, so that’s a good excuse to have a slightly bigger tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Heck no, extra room is always great, not like it’s AK and we get stuck in tents too much in Co, but if weather sucks way nicer to have more room!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a Copper Spur UL4, and I've taken it with me on solo packing hunts a few times. I consider the UL4 to be a 2-person tent. There's no way even three are fitting in there.......comfortably.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I have a Copper Spur UL4, and I've taken it with me on solo packing hunts a few times. I consider the UL4 to be a 2-person tent. There's no way even three are fitting in there.......comfortably.

Yeah. I’ve always considered a 2-person tent to be a 1 person tent, a 3-person tent to be a 1-person and a kid tent, and a 4-person tent to be a 2-person tent.

With that said, I camped in a tent with a hunting buddy once…..never again. Snoring, farting, moving around, getting out to pee, etc. I sleep solo in my own tent. Only difference would be with a wife and or kid.

1brad

FNG
3 person tent is really a one person tent plus a little extra storage space. No problem at all.

Mcnasty

FNG
I have had the tigerwall3 for a couple of years now and have still have the same debate you have. IMO its great for 2 and good weight to space. Its much lighter than my old clip flashlight so it almost always comes before the smaller heavier 2 man even for just solo. That said it is heavy for 1 as compared to newer technology, trekking pole, and or floorless shelters like the 6moon Deschutes or the Duston xmid. If you are not pressed for cask consider one of these. lastly you can ditch the body of the tiger wall 3 to further reduce weight if you have the footprint and are not worried about bugs.

Run the weight numbers to see what you are saving. I looked at one person tent weight vs cimarron tipi and they were a few ounces apart - so I went cimarron. I think

I too think about the weight so I actually got a single
Shelter (silex) which is right around 1 lbs. So that’s my day trip backup in case of weather or when I want to run super lightweight

EcoastDG

FNG
I use either a Marmot Tungsten 3P (Awesome tent; especially hunting/camping with my wife) or a Stone Glacier 2p for my solo backpack hunting trips. Not much difference in weight. The main difference is the pole length. I can generally pack the SG in a side pocket. The Marmot is usually strapped to the bottom or top of my pack with no issue.
I love them both but I tend to use the SG a little more these days.

If the weight is not an issue I say use the bigger tent. I used my so cimmaron for 4 years for everything. Didn't matter if it was just me, or the 2 kids and wife and I. I did pick up a silvertip though to use for when it's just me or me and my son.

I do miss the room sometimes. The cimmaron is a palace for me with 1 person plus a stove and even a helinox chair at times

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
A 3 person tent just gives you a bit of extra room for gear and to spread out!

I have a UL2 and have used it with another buddy a few times. I use a 25” Xtherm and they are basically mashed against the wall. Needless to say this last scouting trip we just used a tarp because nobody was signing up for that again😂

Agree with the above, tent person ratings are based on sleeping only with no room for anything else. So 2p tent is really one person plus gear; 3p is really a 1.5person with gear, and a 4p tent is where you get into a true 2 person with gear.

Take the bigger tent and dont worry about the extra 3/4#

dtrkyman

WKR
If you run into crap wweather you will be glad to have the space! Shave the ounces somewhere else.

Ten Bears

WKR
I happily carried a Hilleberg Anjan 3. Few more ounces but it was a solo palace.

I road out storms with a satisfied smile on my face.