Cabela's Instinct Outfitter 12x16

treillw

WKR
Thinking about getting this tent to use for family car camping and a possible base camp if only packed in a few miles.

At 12x16, I worry about it being too large to fit at a lot of campgrounds. I could also see it being difficult to find a flat spot this big in some locations. I guess that is part of the price you pay with a large tent. Can anybody with this tent or one of a similar size speak to this?

I like the size because it would be nice for my wife and I and our future kids to be able to use it with cots and still have enough room to move around comfortably.

The $1000 price tag is a little tough to stomach. Do they ever go on sale, or anybody know any other good tricks to picking one up?

Thanks!

LaHunter

WKR
I have the smaller size of this tent (10X12 I think). they are good tents and would probably work well for your purposes. I spent a week in mine in WY in October of 2016. Handled really high winds and super cold temps with my wood burning stove well. I set it up solo with no problems.
Cabela's will run sales on their tents couple times / year.

I have the smaller 10x10 Outfitter. I love this tent, used it a couple of times in high wind and rain and just real comfortable. I got mine on sale last summer so yeah Cabela’s runs sales on them. I’ve had no problems finding a big enough area to set it up.

TXCO

WKR
I bought the instinct guide 6 person tent earlier this year. I chose it over the original alaskan geo guide because I could get the aluminum poles instead of fiberglass which dropped the weight down to 26 pounds so I could easily take it on a horse or in a plane. Aluminum and not fiberglass poles were pretty important to me. The instinct outfitter version is a bit beefier with a stove jack for the same square footage but an extra ~25 pounds. I like the pole design of the outfitter and original geo a little more than the instinct but there are plenty of guy lines to help out. The research I did didnt seem to make too much of a difference though. I really like it and think its going to be a great 4 season tent. You really have plenty of space to weather the storms in it. Im sure on a cold morning I'll wish it had a stove jack though.

Cdpp880

WKR
I have the 10x14 and really like it!!! Haven’t had it in any crazy weather but believe it could take a lot very well built.

Cdpp880

WKR
A few pics

Attachments

• D0C69D09-FD43-47F0-B0E8-624D28A458BF.jpg
    D0C69D09-FD43-47F0-B0E8-624D28A458BF.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 346FE2E6-E18B-426A-9092-893CD9258FBC.jpg
    346FE2E6-E18B-426A-9092-893CD9258FBC.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 53

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
I have the guide series 6 and 8. Very good for the price. Got the new outfitter 8 last year. Also very good. We use cots in the 8s with no problem. The amount of wind they will take is ridiculous . Southeast Wyoming last sept. I had 60+ mph on the anonometer. It did fine.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I have the guide series 6 and 8. Very good for the price. Got the new outfitter 8 last year. Also very good. We use cots in the 8s with no problem. The amount of wind they will take is ridiculous . Southeast Wyoming last sept. I had 60+ mph on the anonometer. It did fine.

How many cots can you fit in the New outfitter 8?