<$1000, <14 ounces, 10X max magnification scope - Options?

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
My other rifles are in MOA currently and the system I am most familiar with which is the primary reason. Would be nice to make the jump to MIL, but my hunt family is also MOA so that is why I am inclined to go that direction. But hey, maybe this is the time to make the jump….

Last edited:
OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
Another question for group - exposed vs non-exposed turrets. The options discussed so far have caps and curious if there are better options out there by either a different scope? Or purchasable turret caps on the models mentioned? While still keeping weight low.

CBAKER11

FNG
Another question for group - exposed vs non-exposed turrets. The options discussed so far have caps and curious if there are better options out there by either a different scope? Or purchasable turret caps on the models mentioned? While still keeping weight low.
If you're wanting to stay below 14 ounces I would stick with capped turrets. I don't know of any reliable exposed turret scopes at that weight. If you're willing to buy a scope in the 20oz range you can find some reliable exposed turret scopes. Kenton industries makes speed turrets for the scopes you mentioned but I don't have any experience with them.

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
If you're wanting to stay below 14 ounces I would stick with capped turrets. I don't know of any reliable exposed turret scopes at that weight. If you're willing to buy a scope in the 20oz range you can find some reliable exposed turret scopes. Kenton industries makes speed turrets for the scopes you mentioned but I don't have any experience with them.
Thank you. That’s good to know that when going to exposed turrets there’s generally compromise on weight bump up… sure makes one think about saving up for a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x in that case.

CBAKER11

FNG
Thank you. That’s good to know that when going to exposed turrets there’s generally compromise on weight bump up… sure makes one think about saving up for a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x in that case.

For sure. SHV 3-10x42 with the MOAR reticle is a good compromise for the price. Loosing the exposed turrets, zero stop, and parallax adjustment of the nxs. I don't see the need for parallax adjustment in a 10x scope. Scope seems to be just as reliable and the turrets are repeatable and finger adjustable, just have to take a second to remove the cap. Zero stop isn't really necessary unless your dialing multiple revolutions. You can get a pretty decent deal on scopeslist.com( sister company of eurooptic) if you sign up for the price drop alert. They'll reach out and give you a better price most of the time. Doug at cameraland could probably help you out with one of these as well.

Liftman101

Lil-Rokslider
You might want to look at a the older model Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x42. Built in the Low plant. You didn't see much about them but the glass is much better than a VX-3i or HD. They are available used for around $600-700 although slightly heavier than your request at 15.37 ounces.

I love the Swarovskis as well. A Z3 3-10x42 at 12.9 ounces is a great scope and even the Z3 4-12x50 with the BRH reticle is amazing in low light and only weighs 14.67 ounces

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
To close out the thread, I ultimately ordered the 2.5-10 Nightforce NXS. Ultimately after all the back and forth and research the best decision for me was to save a little bit longer and buy once. I also am taking the plunge into MIL.

To close out the thread, I ultimately ordered the 2.5-10 Nightforce NXS. Ultimately after all the back and forth and research the best decision for me was to save a little bit longer and buy once. I also am taking the plunge into MIL.
Well, I didn’t see that coming, haha

I like mine, it’s a nice scope, you’ll be really happy with it

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
Well, I didn’t see that coming, haha

I like mine, it’s a nice scope, you’ll be really happy with it
Yeah… I thought I knew what I wanted from original posting, but after reading through advice on here and other threads I think the Nightforce is just the right amount of weight compromise to meet all other needs. Thank you all again for the advice, helped guide me a lot.