10mm non hard cast bear defense ammo.

LoggerDan

WKR
Y Glock eats the BB. It smears lead. My bullets hit the steel. I give it a few swipes after a magazine load. I shoot it again. Again, my bullets strike the target. Pretty easy.

My 20 shoots. Stock trigger, stock barrel, stock spring stock rod. This thing has been all over prince of wales, Afognak, the kenai and the Olympic peninsula.

im not really understanding the huge fuss about leading. Sure it happens. But we are talking about a self defense load for animals, not for Edc for social threats. I’m not sure why buying a barrel is considered a necessity to shoot a certain type of ammo. I don’t see how a new barrel will level the playing field in a bear defense situation. I don’t. I don’t think breaking down an easy to disassemble handgun after a magazines worth of extremely expensive ammo at the range hard or a inconvenience. When I shoot this gun, everything is u hurried until it’s actually time to shoot. I am not practicing combat reloads with very expensive BB ammo. A few quick strokes of the bore really isn’t a bad thing.

Any you factory guys are getting acceptable accuracy?

I thought the traditional rifling that is used in the aftermarket barrels was the larger draw. Along with more cartridge support?

I've honestly not attempted to shoot any BB through any barrel. I tried some locally cast 200 grain coated bullets with a pretty decent shape to them. I was not at all impressed with the accuracy.

I find most conventional jacket bullets, ie those Trophy Bonded and Hornady XTP much more accurate than the Berry's plated, or the cast type bullets.

LoggerDan

WKR
They aren’t the most Accurate I’ve ever shot out of my Glock, but I hit steel every time. If it’s a bear gun, it’s going to be at spitting distance. Presumably you are carrying a rifle as well.

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know how effective this will be, but I alternate 200gr Underwood coated hard cast and 180gr Sig FMJ (still pretty hot stuff for factory ammo) in my magazines, with the thinking that each jacketed round that follows a hard cast round will scour the barrel of any lead.
I do something similar in my glock 20 with factory barrel mixed bag of Buffalo bore 220 lead and Buffalo bore 190 mono metal. Recoil on both loads is manageable but the 220 is a little softer. Just shot up last falls magazine and replaced it with fresh ammo for spring bear that was not a cheap magazine!

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
Any you factory guys are getting acceptable accuracy?

I thought the traditional rifling that is used in the aftermarket barrels was the larger draw. Along with more cartridge support?

I've honestly not attempted to shoot any BB through any barrel. I tried some locally cast 200 grain coated bullets with a pretty decent shape to them. I was not at all impressed with the accuracy.

I find most conventional jacket bullets, ie those Trophy Bonded and Hornady XTP much more accurate than the Berry's plated, or the cast type bullets.
My 20 is pretty accurate with the factory barrel but I definitely shoot my 17 much better with fmjs. I have not tested with lead ammo. Either way the 20 is plenty accurate for a close range bear encounter if that shot misses it won’t be the guns fault.

I shot a bunch of 200gr Underwood hard cast doing some rapidfire drills and hammered my 8" steel plate consistently while moving back and forth around 15 to 18 yards. I was actually really surprised how well the G20 handled on follow up shots, with two hand grip. The Underwood definitely has more hammer to it than my FMJ and other hollow point rounds. It seems to be just as accurate but I didn't shoot groups or anything. I shot some single hand mag dumps into a pond mud bank trying to test for ammo failure with one handed operation, no fails there.

Beendare

WKR
I ran 350rds of underwood/ Double Tap 200g hard cast through my stock G20 checking it every 50rds. Its shows some leading ( discoloration on the chamber end of the barrel) at about the 300rds mark.
I shot most of it out with some FMJ…then cleaned it of course.

Assuming you clean the gun every once in awhile, I don’t see leading as a issue with the ammo I used.

I’ve had too many bad experiences on charging critters with expanding ammo…..hard cast for me.

TheGDog

WKR
For out in the field G29 w/ magazine loaded alternating with Xtreme Penetrators and (Barnes XPB's or Hornady Handgun Hunter's). Have to lead-free out here.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
G40 MOS, I use Underwood 220 HC. I think we can all follow Phil Shoemaker's lead here and say that a heavy for caliber non-expanding hard lead bullet is arguably the best anecdotal protection against a bear/cat/sasquatch. The round is accurate enough and is controllable enough to put rounds quickly on target where I need them
If I am in the east, and my biggest threat while hunting public land is two legged hairless meth heads, then the 10mm gets Underwood 180gr XTP HP.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Both my 29 and 20 are set with underwood extreme penetrator. Surprisingly the 29 handles damn near as well as the 20 so it gets carried the most.

TheGDog

WKR
Both my 29 and 20 are set with underwood extreme penetrator. Surprisingly the 29 handles damn near as well as the 20 so it gets carried the most.
As long as you slap on the Pearce Magazine base plate finger extension, it's smaller size no longer is an issue in terms of grip and the pinky hanging off.

I am interested in the Swift A Frame. The partition sits very far forward, limiting expansion. I suspect it gets better penetration than a traditional HP with some expansion that hard cast bullets don't provide, while feeding more reliably. Have any of you read of any penetration tests with these?

mcseal2

WKR
Only thing I have to add is that I had 2 10mm pistols that had occasional jams with hardcast Underwood 200gr coated ammo, Buffalo Bore 220’s, and Double Tap 230’s I think was the last one I tried. The Underwoods performed best as far as limiting jams.

My Sig 220 Hunter has fed hardcast perfect so far. The 2 I had some issues with were a Sig 1911 Tacops and a Glock 20.

The Buffalo Bore 190gr dangerous game load has not jammed in any of my 10mm’s yet. I’ve shot several boxes, over 100 through each gun by now.

If anyone is having issues with hardcast you might try the Buffalo Bore 190’s. They are shaped a bit different with less of a sharp edge where the flat front ends. They may feed better but cause less tissue damage by their appearance. Thats just my observation with nothing backing it.

My 220 shoots identical with the Federal 200gr Fusion and the Underwood 200gr hardcast. I like that so I can carry a Fusion in the chamber if I want to try to get a deer with it, back it up with hardcast.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sorry for the crappy pics, I didn’t feel like going out to my boat to grab my 10mm to take pics of the bullets in it. I can post more pics tomorrow if anybody is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_5782.jpeg
    IMG_5782.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5781.jpeg
    IMG_5781.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 15