#12 Annoying Debate Topic for fun: MOA vs. MIL --my take

Hmm.....on a moa style turret are usually in 1/4"@100yrd increments ...you can get them in 1/8" but it's a little unnecessary....so 4 click for one inch at 100yrds ....where with mil it would take 2 or 3 clicks (2.54 click to be exact) so in reality the moa is more fine tunable
My post that you quoted was about reticles, not turrets. The point was that a 1 MOA subtension is perfectly useable on higher mag scopes with thinner reticles.

BULLBLASTER

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with you on those points. Once you dial, all you need to do is figure out where on the reticle was the impact and then use that as the POI (assuming it wasn't you that made a bad shot).

MIL becomes easier during situations around the actual shot process you discussed.
I guess i am the oddball that has gone and truely tried mil and then returned to moa. In a few thousand rounds, i couldnt make mils be any “better” for me. I also much prefer sfp reticles to ffp, ive been down that road a few times trying and thousands of rounds and a couple years later came back. An moa nxs is my ideal optic and works very well.

Last edited:
OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I guess i am the oddball that has gone and truely tried mil and then returned to moa. In a few thousand rounds, i couldnt make mils be any “better” for me. I also much prefer sfp reticles to ffp, ive been down that road a few times trying and thousands of rounds and a couple years later came back. An moa nxs is my ideal optic and works very well.
The choice is always tradeoffs. Styles of shooting, different brains, and all sorts of considerations will result in different choices. Good explanation, cause some guys need to hear from you as well.

repins05

WKR
Like already mentioned In several threads…

Here in Oregon, every hunter I have talked with and have been around since I was 12 years old judge distance in yards. This includes archery and rifle.

I am sure there are hunters that shoot with mil here in Oregon but I don’t know any. Perhaps this will change with the emergence of long range shooting. It is not happening anytime soon. I shoot both but moa only when hunting.

You can do you but when you get invited to a hunting camp talking mil is going to be a foreign language. It will literally be a language barrier and could be a detriment to your hunting ability in a group scenario.

Here in Oregon, every hunter I have talked with and have been around since I was 12 years old judge distance in yards. This includes archery and rifle.
I don't understand what this has to do with anything. We're talking about two angular measurements, not linear ones.
You can do you but when you get invited to a hunting camp talking mil is going to be a foreign language. It will literally be a language barrier and could be a detriment to your hunting ability in a group scenario.
Man if I go to anything except a coues deer camp I mostly expect that people won't know what MOA is either.

repins05

WKR
I don't understand what this has to do with anything. We're talking about two angular measurements, not linear ones.

Man if I go to anything except a coues deer camp I mostly expect that people won't know what MOA is either.
Could be a regional thing for hunting.

when shooting mils it seems people talk meters versus yards.

when shooting mils it seems people talk versus yards.
MIL and MOA are both angular measurements. You can just use yards for your range number with either form of measurement, there's no difference there. In fact I think MIL is even more important for people who think that they "think in inches/feet/yards" because hopefully it will get them to stop doing that and instead start using their scopes correctly.

repins05

WKR
MIL and MOA are both angular measurements. You can just use yards for your range number with either form of measurement, there's no difference there. In fact I think MIL is even more important for people who think that they "think in inches/feet/yards" because hopefully it will get them to stop doing that and instead start using their scopes correctly.
I see why you don’t understand what my post implied. I am moving on. Lol.

I see why you don’t understand what my post implied. I am moving on. Lol.
I don't know what's inside your mind, man. You could actually elaborate on what your post implied instead of playing "guess what I meant". All I know is you're the one who brought up yards and meters. It's not my fault for pointing out that people who talk MIL = Meters and MOA = Yards generally don't understand how a riflescope works. Those people (you may not be one, again I'm not inside your head) would benefit from using a MIL scope because constantly equating angular units with linear ones is a terrible system for using a scope. I don't think that's controversial to say. Enjoy your day though, go 49ers.

SDHNTR

WKR
I speak both languages, but the one universal is dudes who speak in mils and meters are far more annoying. They make more noise about it instead of just getting the job done. Mostly tactikooks who couldn’t hunt their way out of a wet paper bag.

Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
I went with mil. It is more intuitive if you understand how an angle of radians is derived. I can see sticking with MOA if that is what you are used to. If you have never seen this SNL skit poking fun at our units of measurement, it is definitely worth a watch.