15 degree sleeping bag enough?

Ive extended use of 15* bag by pairing with custom down pants/booties from goosefeet. The pants i had made I believe are 0 degree/6 oz… they are so warm had to take them off in bag and ive just layed them next to me so far in temps ranging in teens. The downside to this as a multi function option is I wouldn’t take those pants outa tent be it fragile for being on any natural surface glassing etc…so there is a possibility of carrying two pairs of down pants, although my use they are a sleep system aid and stay with bag anyway. The booties are a almost non existent (weight) luxury in the mountains. Good luck!

Poser

WKR
I added a sea to summit reactor extreme sleeping bag liner to my kit when I caught it on sale for cheap to try out. Its pretty small and anecdotally added probably a comfortable 15F to my bag -- while also allowing me to not get my bag all sweaty/nasty.

When we get into Oct and beyond, I use the reactor with a 20 degree quilt and tend to stay toasty.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I'll often bring booties when the mercury starts to dip, but I want puffy pants that will double for glassing as well (my puffy pants only weigh 2 oz more (8 oz total) and are half zip)

Last edited:
I used to climb mountains in winter and have spent many nights without a sleeping bag. There are many things that can help your comfort and safety for a cold night away from camp.

for instance:
1. my favorite climbing pack (Cold Cold World) acted as half of a bivy sack. I could put my feet in the empty pack and it would cover up to my waste.
2. the pack used a foam pad that was removable and could insulate from the ground.
3. i could pull my arms inside the puffy parka and it was warmer than wearing with my arms in the sleeves.
4. stay hydrated, your body regulates temperature better when hydrated.
5. fuel your body, carry calorie dense foods. Cold consumes a lot of energy.

When you are weight conscious, consider alternate uses for every piece of gear.

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I added a sea to summit reactor extreme sleeping bag liner to my kit when I caught it on sale for cheap to try out. Its pretty small and anecdotally added probably a comfortable 15F to my bag -- while also allowing me to not get my bag all sweaty/nasty.
I just ordered this. Hoping it will be my solution, along with puffy layers, to get my 20 degree bag as warm as I need it!

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I also hunt 2nd season and just use a 20 degree bag with a 33 degree comfort rating. I just sleep with my puffy pants and jacket on to compensate for the lighter bag. I’ve also used the reactor liner and that seems to help too. I’ve been comfortable in single digits this way.

The tent makes a difference, 2 guys in a small backpacking tent keeps a lot of heat too.

eamyrick

WKR
Keeping all of this in mind. I’ll also be hunting 2nd at 9-10k in CO. I’m ordering some SG puffy pants and will wear my down jacket in my 15 degree bag. I also have a Seek stove and goretex bivy.

eamyrick

WKR
I used to climb mountains in winter and have spent many nights without a sleeping bag. There are many things that can help your comfort and safety for a cold night away from camp.

for instance:
1. my favorite climbing pack (Cold Cold World) acted as half of a bivy sack. I could put my feet in the empty pack and it would cover up to my waste.
2. the pack used a foam pad that was removable and could insulate from the ground.
3. i could pull my arms inside the puffy parka and it was warmer than wearing with my arms in the sleeves.
4. stay hydrated, your body regulates temperature better when hydrated.
5. fuel your body, carry calorie dense foods. Cold consumes a lot of energy.

When you are weight conscious, consider alternate uses for every piece of gear.
Solid posts. I think we all get to gear specific. This makes a lot of sense.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
It will vary a little of course, but +10-15 degrees from the advertised rating is the rule of thumb for comfort range on most bags. There may have been an ISO test temperature range on the tag when you bought the bag. That will generally have a comfort range on it which is more helpful.

Personally, I take a 0 degree bag if its going to be in the mid 20's.
This is good advice as I learned the hard way. Got 3 bags. I take my 0 degg if its in the twenties (make sure to bring puffy clothes if it gets a touch colder), 20 degree if its in 40s, and I have a 30 deg quilt for summer scouting/backpacking.

rclouse79

WKR
Headed to Colorado for second season in a few weeks. We are planning on setting up a basecamp but may also spike out if we get into some animals and don't want to trek back to camp. I'm planning on bringing a heavy 0-degree bag for basecamp and I have a 15-degree Feathered Friends bag that is going to go into my pack. Will the 15-degree bag be sufficient or should I look at adding a synthetic quilt to my bag as well? Would be looking at a 40-degree EE Revelation Apex or a MLD Spirit 38-degree quilt. Or would I be better off looking at a sleeping bag liner?
You can supplement your bag with puffy pants and jacket. I personal like to err on the side of too warm.

Braaap

WKR
I have an Ether Light XT......3.2 R value. I generally sleep hot if that makes any difference.
I would be more concerned with your pad at a 3.2 R value. I have an X therm (6 or 7 R I think) and a neoair x lite (4.2 R value). The neoair sleeps way colder for me than the Xtherm. I generally sleep hot too.

Adding the apex quilt is a nice option because you can throw it over yourself if you are sitting on cold day as well. If you are taking a bag, over quilt, and puffy pants it will start to be too much stuff so I would pick one or the other.

Lando

WKR
Good choices on the exped and Apex quilt. I agree with others that you should be comfortable with puffy clothes, a 20 degree bag, apex quilt and a good r-value pad.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Adding the apex quilt is a nice option because you can throw it over yourself if you are sitting on cold day as well. If you are taking a bag, over quilt, and puffy pants it will start to be too much stuff so I would pick one or the other.
Not worried that much about weight. Bag will have tent, sleeping bags, pad, puffy gear, kill kit, first aid kit, water filters, 2 days food (more will be at base camp), tripod for glassing, clean socks and underwear, rain gear and maybe a soft-shell jacket. I haven't loaded my pack to get an accurate weight but guessing it will be in the 20-30 range with water.

Clothing worn will be Kuiu Base Layers Pants, Kuiu Hybrid Axis Pants, First Lite Base layer shirt, Pro merino 200, Peloton 97 or Strongfleece 260 and an orange vest. Will have different orange hats with me as well, depending on how warm it is and warm to cold weather gloves.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I would be more concerned with your pad at a 3.2 R value. I have an X therm (6 or 7 R I think) and a neoair x lite (4.2 R value). The neoair sleeps way colder for me than the Xtherm. I generally sleep hot too.
I have a Exped 7R Ultra on its way, so will have a summer pad and a winter pad for future hunts. Will be bringing the Exped.

Mike 338

WKR
Is it enough? Nope. But you don't need to throw money at that little problem if you don't want to. You most likely have another bag or have a friend with an old bag you can borrow. Take 'em both and unzip the second one and lay it over you like a blanket. You'll have the warmest sleep system in camp.

For my 0.02, I went out first rifle last year. Base camped at 11.5k ft.

15f rated mountain hardwear bag wasn’t enough, but I suspect temps were close or below 15 at night. Hot water nalgene helped, and I’m packing a puffy vest to wear this year. I was cold, but not enough to quit or go to the hospital.

If I was going out second rifle, I’d have a 0f bag or equivalent layers