150 grain .308 enuff?

Keep your shots under 300 yards, maybe up to 400 for perfect broadside shots and you’ll be fine. Wouldn’t take it out farther on elk though.

Did you get a chance to try other loads in the XPR? My 300 WSM XPR loves everything Federal, is good with Remington, and really didn't like the Hornady or Win loads. This is probably not at all helpful with the current ammo environment but I'm curious about your experience. I love the 300 WSM for elk.

I’ve really only shot Winchester. I shot some good ol’ Power points in it with marginal results. I bought some 180 grain Nosler Trophy Grade Accubonds for it, just haven’t had a chance to try them out. I’m hesitant to do so until they become more available/less expensive since I’ve only got the one box.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the WSM a lot. I’ve got a one shot kill with it on my first ever elk hunt. 233 yard shot from a very wobbly/anxious kneeling shot off of one trekking pole. Went 50 yds and was dead.

At this point it’s an availability issue. If I could find some Federal Premium NPs for it, I’d give them a go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That all makes a lot of sense. I bet those noslers will shoot really well. My XPR loves the 180 grain federal Trophy Bonded Tip. I think everyone is very justified in saying your 308 load will be extremely deadly on broadside shots out to your comfort level of 300 to 400 yards. I personally like to go faster and heavier because extremely small variables in my shooting technique, or the environmental conditions, or an elk's subtle movement, or actual presentation vs what I perceived it to be can easily turn a perfect boilermaker shot into one that's a little far forward or a little far back. If that happens at 400 yards, I want the extra authority and penetration I would get from a 300 Magnum velocities pushing 180 grain controlled expansion bullets. There are absolutely people in this thread more deadly with their 308 at 400 yards than I am with my 300, so this becomes a very personal decision for ya.

.308 has been around for a very long time with good reason. Just like in archery, shoot as heavy as you can with trajectory that is acceptable to you. Go gettem!

The old saying of a well placed shot is the best shot holds true. I have a few friends that hunt elk with a 243 because they’re so confident in their placement (and they rifle hunt the woods for elk). If you’re confident with your 308, by all means use it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've shot a couple elk with 150's out of an old Belgian made Browning BLR and it did the trick! They weren't anywhere near 400 yard shots though.

You might also try Norma Bondstrike in 180 gr with your 300 WSM. They actually make 308 and 300 WSM and seem to be available from a few different places. I haven't shot it at game yet, but the people that have seem to report it has similar results as the Nosler AccuBond in 180 that seems to be unobtanium.

Back