15x binos or spotter?

Current setup:
Leica Geovid Pro 10x32
Maven CS.1 15-45x65

I’m looking to upgrade/add a set of 15x binos or upgrade my spotter. Looking to use them for both PRS and hunting.

15x binos- Swaro SLC, Maven B5, Zeiss Conquest HD, Meopta Meostar

Spotter- Kowa 553 or Swaro ATC

I do not plan on doing any sheep hunting or stuff that requires high power spotter so initially I think a set of 15x56 binos would be the better choice. Which binos would be best? Ive been researching for a few weeks and seems the subjective rating lf the B5 is near as good as the SLC and Meopta while being cheaper.

I very much regret only buying 10x42s when I purchased binos. For people like myself that prefers to sit still more than walk when hunting, the 15x would have been perfect. Much prefer this over a spotting scope.

I would add some 15’s. Just know they are big and heavy. I have the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44, some Leupold Santiam 15s, and the Kowa 553 spotter. If I am taking a spotter I leave my 15s at home. If I take my 15’s, I leave my Kowa spotter and Binos at home.

The glass on the Kowa and Swaro are sixes. The Swaro has a massive FOV.

I very much regret only buying 10x42s when I purchased binos. For people like myself that prefers to sit still more than walk when hunting, the 15x would have been perfect. Much prefer this over a spotting scope.
I hunt PA mainly so 8x or 10x is best here for archery…but would use 15x for 10-12 rifle matches a year.

I would add some 15’s. Just know they are big and heavy. I have the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44, some Leupold Santiam 15s, and the Kowa 553 spotter. If I am taking a spotter I leave my 15s at home. If I take my 15’s, I leave my Kowa spotter and Binos at home.

The glass on the Kowa and Swaro are sixes. The Swaro has a massive FOV.
Have a recommendation on 15x binos or experience?

FWIW, I got a used pair of Bushnell 15X56 Forge binocs for $350 to see my hits at the range out to 500 yards. No problems seeing .223 splashes on steel at 500 and 17HMR at 300. I`m sure they would be fine for heavier caliber rifles on out well past 500. Don`t hunt anything that you would use them for, but they are sizeable. No problem, though, on a little tripod.

FWIW, I got a used pair of Bushnell 15X56 Forge binocs for $350 to see my hits at the range out to 500 yards. No problems seeing .223 splashes on steel at 500 and 17HMR at 300. I`m sure they would be fine for heavier caliber rifles on out well past 500. Don`t hunt anything that you would use them for, but they are sizeable. No problem, though, on a little tripod.
Yeah looking for more of an alpha glass solution; been disappointed by subpar optics. Looking more for long term solution.

Get some Sig Sauer Zulu 6HD 16's. I have the Maven 15's which are amazing on a tripod, but as soon as I got the Zulus those stay packed away. Sold my spotter too.

Seriously give them a shot - they're truly game changers. Cabelas/Sportsmans have 30 day return policies if you don't like them.

I'm considering switching to the monocular style rangefinder just because the Zulus are so much better than hand-holding any binos.

Yeah looking for more of an alpha glass solution; been disappointed by subpar optics. Looking more for long term solution.
Understood. Like most things, you can spend as much as you can stand. Have to say that the Forges came recommended and the reviews were good when I did my research. They certainly haven`t proven to be " subpar", at least for my purpose and in my experience.

Get some Sig Sauer Zulu 6HD 16's. I have the Maven 15's which are amazing on a tripod, but as soon as I got the Zulus those stay packed away. Sold my spotter too.

Seriously give them a shot - they're truly game changers. Cabelas/Sportsmans have 30 day return policies if you don't like them.

I'm considering switching to the monocular style rangefinder just because the Zulus are so much better than hand-holding any binos.
Will have to get my hands on them and test them out, Europtic is about an hour away so maybe they will have some in stock.

I'd do SLC 15s or Mavens...can also get the Maven 18s if you go big binos. I had the 18s and loved them, optically amazing and the difference is very small for the $ when you jump from those mavens to the swaros, mainly edge clarity and color differences. Maven colors pop more to me, the swaros are more neutral. Sold them though and my maven B2 in favor of keeping my Kowa 77 and getting top tier 10x42s. Spotter can do all the things binos can do and more, when you need the zoom it's there, same can't be said about the 18s or 15s. Instead I've challenged myself this spring/summer to actually learn how to GLASS with a spotter. So, have been practicing both eyes open glassing with the spotter with the goal of being able to comfortably glass with it for as long as I need. So far it is game changing.

But, you mentioned either big binos or the baby spotter, if it were between those I'd go binos for sure.

I’ll add them to the list…Would love to have a set that is good at that price range.
Understood. Like most things, you can spend as much as you can stand. Have to say that the Forges came recommended and the reviews were good when I did my research. They certainly haven`t proven to be " subpar", at least for my purpose and in my experience

I'd do SLC 15s or Mavens...can also get the Maven 18s if you go big binos. I had the 18s and loved them, optically amazing and the difference is very small for the $ when you jump from those mavens to the swaros, mainly edge clarity and color differences. Maven colors pop more to me, the swaros are more neutral. Sold them though and my maven B2 in favor of keeping my Kowa 77 and getting top tier 10x42s. Spotter can do all the things binos can do and more, when you need the zoom it's there, same can't be said about the 18s or 15s. Instead I've challenged myself this spring/summer to actually learn how to GLASS with a spotter. So, have been practicing both eyes open glassing with the spotter with the goal of being able to comfortably glass with it for as long as I need. So far it is game changing.

But, you mentioned either big binos or the baby spotter, if it were between those I'd go binos for sure.
I ordered a set of the mavens for the rental they run so i can get my hands on them.

I have a pair of Meopta 15x56s and I've been happy with them. It's a lot of bino for the money. You can score an open box or something similar from the Cameraland guys if you pay attention.

I’ll add them to the list…Would love to have a set that is good at that price range.
I don`t believe Bushnell still makes that model. New, they were an 800-900 dollar binocular, if memory serves. When I was looking, they were not uncommon on the used market at around $350. Mine have certainly been more than worth it.

Bang for your buck Chinese Bushnell Forge 15x56 for $300 used. Next bang fir your buck Athlon Cronus UHD Gen 2 15x56 $385 used with factory hard case. Next bang for your buck in the higher price point are the new updated 2023 and improved Japan Burris Signature HD 15x56 (the green ones with $969 MSRP with $799.99 typical street price) via past sale recently on Amazon couple weeks ago as low as $533 that I posted the unbelievably cheap deals on earlier and they're pretty much neck and neck with my $1399 Leupold BX5 Santiams 15x56s which I have two of.

I'd rather buy a SIG ZULU 10 before I buy another Maven B5 since I already own both brands and models and the New ZULU 10s are next level clearer than the B5s according to my eyes. Plus ZULU 10s 15x56 way cheaper as low as $1100 on eBay brand new or even less if you know who to buy from outside of eBay. Warranty pretty much no questions asked and they sent a prepaid FedEx return shipping label to warranty my ZULU 9 within 8 days total time got a brand new replacement that cost $650 MSRP more than what I actually sent them.

I'd sure like to know if the eyecups on those 15s (B5's???) don't extend far enough to get proper eye placement without glasses which is a serious problem I have with my Maven B5 18x56s I even have to unscrew the removable eye cups all the way literally teeter totter on the last half threads on both sides and still not quite enough extension for me.

It's a huge shameful and unacceptable design flaw IMHO on Maven's part. Hopefully the 15s have WAY SHORTER eye relief compared to my 18s.

The SIG ZULU 10 10x56 which is a cousin of the Mavens and Razor UHDs have it even worst because their eyecups don't seem to be totally unscrewable like the B5s.

Back