15x56 or 10x42 plus spotter

I guess my first post wasn’t very helpful. I’m gonna say depends on your budget and goals for the hunt. You hunting deer? If you’re picky on the buck you want to shoot a spotter is essential. 15s are sweet for long range glassing but can’t replace a quality 65mm spotter for evaluating a buck at distance. If your budget is $1000 or so just get some good 10s and tripod and that’ll get you somewhere. If you’ve got $4000 to spend get all 3 or 12x50 EL and a spotter and get after it. Don’t buy cheap glass just so you’re able to buy them all

I run 15x56's and an 85 mm spotter. I tend to see elk/deer/bear pretty far away, but plan it that way. Either areas 2-3 maybe 4 miles away that I can hike back to the truck and put a stalk on something, or areas that I'm not gonna kill myself crossing 4 creeks, 4 draws and gaining and dropping 1000 ft elevation in each to get to the animals.

It depends mainly on the topographical layout of the area you are hunting, and whether or not you can access this area within a certain amount of time. And I'm not at all familiar with where you are going.

I personally like to run 12x50's and a spotter.

12's are still small enough to hand hold and they are comfortable on your chest. They also provide plenty of power off of a tripod!

I like to pair 12's with a 20-60 ATX with a 65mm spotter. It is very lightweight and it has the same glass in the spotter as the glass in the EL binos.

This is an endless question that I struggle with every year.

But, I’m not exactly clear on your question. Are you saying JUST the 15x - or - 10x plus spotter? Or, 10x + 15x - or - 10x + spotter? Or neither of those?

Either way, the answer is going to be “depends”...

What are you hunting, when, weapon? Do you have all of them or do you need to acquire? What do you have? What is your budget? Backpack hunt? Guided? ATV? Primarily day hunt or is total pack weight a major consideration?

You can’t cheat the mountain

I used to run 15x and 85mm spotter in the areas I hunt in WY, MT and CO.

This year gonna try 12x and 85mm.

Whatever you choice, buy the best you can afford; let your eyes be the judge.

Pulled this from another thread.

First elk hunt coming up in Colorado with a few friends that have been before. Looking to read and learn as much as I can before October. And catch some deals on good used gear .

Based on "Never Seen an Elk" and that - get a decent set of 10x42's, tripod and mount, and go hunt. Don't worry about the spotter.

Why are you switching to 10x42s from the 12x50’s?? 10’s more versatile?

I'm currently using Swaro EL 12X50s along with either my 85mm 20-75X Zeiss or 55mm 15-45 Kowa.

Though thats about to change to 10X42s here in the next couple months but the spotters will stay the same.

Ah. Makes sense. I have a pair of 10x42 EL Ranges and have been temped by the 12x50’s in conjunction with the better range finders out now.

Like the geovids but not sure the tripod mount is as eloquent.

Cause they don't make Leica Geovids in 12X so kinda stuck with that. I like 12X a lot but somehow I feel I will still find critters to hunt in 10X. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back