185 vs 210 vld for 300 win mag

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
Does a 300 win mag have enough steam to push the 210 vld? Looks like the 185 might be a little more efficient for this caliber with regards of velocity and ft lbs vs the 210.

What do you guys use or prefer for the 300 win mag?

Talk to Broz. He's got something like a cpl dozen Elk kills with the 30 cal Bergers. I think he's still using the 215 hybrid.

he posts on here or find him at longrangeonly forum

I am shooting currently the 208 Amax but plan to switch to bergers once I shoot these up.. I am getting 2800fps with just a stock savage 116.. All depends on what your looking to do with the rifle but the heavier are better for long range.

If you want my best advice as to what has worked well for us with Bergers it would be, don't sell yourself short with light for caliber bullets. From a 28" barrel we get 2900 plus with the 210's. With 215's 3000. In fact we have got 2980 from some 26" tubes with 215's at 4000 ' asl.

I switched from the 210's to the 215's a few years back. The 210's were great and we took lots of game at some really long distances, but the 215 has proven to be even that much better. You can expect the 215 to be a little faster due to its shorter bearing surface. That was close to 50 fps faster in my 300 win even with 1 gr less powder.

For me the 215 is the best thing that has happened to the 300 win in a long time. My 300 win alone has 31 one shot kills from 200 yards to 1300. Many of which were elk.

My go to load is H-1000 , 215 Berger Hybrid, and a Fed GM 215M primer. Hard to beat in my book for a long range 300 win.

Jeff

Go with Broz's advice. I did, and couldn't be happier. I'm running the 215's in my .300 win mag with H1000.

Mine are loaded EXTREMELY long, and I'm able to get 83 grains of powder in the case without pressure signs. I'm getting 3020 fps with a 25" barrel. This isn't the norm, but I can't complain.

I think it comes down to what shoots the best out of your gun. Try the 215 first and if it shoots well stay with it. My 300 wm liked the 185's so I stuck with them. I did take a sheep and grizz with the 185 berger last Sept. Preformed great.

...I was looking into a 7mm of some sort built for the 180-195 VLD...now I am back at the drawing board.

Broz, for discussion's sake, were you loading over max with the H1000 to get the 2900-3000 fps?

And Justin, just how long are you loading? Did you have a custom.chamber/throat reamed?

...and with a brake, how would any/all of you rate the recoil in a 12ish pound rifle? Say compared to a 30-06.

I would say I load to max but not over. What I mean is when I see the first sign of pressure I back off a grain or so. For the record I have never loaded as much as Justin is, but we all need to remember every rifle , chamber , brass and powder lot is different. For example I had a 26" custom barreled rifle go 2980 fps with 77 gr. Back off and work up slowly.

As for the brake on a 12 lb 300 win with 215's. The recoil with a good brake like a JP tactical compensator is very manageable. Even to spot your own hits. I have had many 12 yr old first yr hunters ( Boys and Girls) shoot mine with zero complaints.

Jeff

Thank you, sir. Good stuff. I really am at the drawing board now. Considering brass, builds, and overall costs of retooling for a new caliber....the 300 is pretty attractive.

And Justin, just how long are you loading? Did you have a custom.chamber/throat reamed?

My custom Tikka is chambered for the 230's, and the COAL I'm running is (if my memory serves) about .5" longer than factory. As Jeff mentioned, my load, and results are not typical. My loaded rounds won't even eject without sliding the bolt back passed the stop. I'm taking the rifle up to a friend soon, to have the ejection port lengthened to allow ejection of the loaded rounds.

Those speeds out of a 300 win with a 215 gr bullet are pretty impressive.

Justin Crossley-I am sure you have posted pictures of your custom tikka on here, do you have a link or can you post some pictures. I am thinking of doing a new build, and considering ditching my 700 sps for a tikka.

Last edited:
Those speeds out of a 300 win with a 215 gr bullet are pretty impressive.

Justin Crossley-I am sure you have posted pictures of your custom tikka on here, do you have a link or can you post some pictures. I am thinking of doing a new build, and considering ditching my 700 sps for a tikka.

Here is some info from when I started the project.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?16867-Which-30-cal-would-you-choose&highlight=tikka

This article also has some info about it.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...-MOA1000-Justin-Crossley&highlight=nightforce

Back