<$1k 60mm Spotter for Digiscoping

Crews

FNG
I have a very narrow use case for using a spotter. Tripod mounted in a fixed position, deer hunting. I use digiscoping for taking pictures and videos of culls, target bucks outside of shooting range, etc to send to other lease members.

I’ve tried it with quality 15x56…. Decent but not enough zoom. Athlon Ares 65mm had disappointing image quality to me. Finally, tried it with a big Zeiss 85mm that I got for a steal… awesome results but angled eyepiece wasn’t ideal and I needed a wheelbarrow to tote it around.

So, I am wanting a 60mm something that’s easy to carry, doesn’t cost a fortune, and is somewhere between Swaro and disappointment.

Top contenders right now are a 12-40 Gold Ring HD, Kowa 602 brand new, or maybe a deal on a Kowa 664

Am I on the right track? Will a 602 leave me wishing I had tried harder to get a 664? Does the Gold Ring HD hang in there with Kowa?

Thanks y’all!

I've got a 65 Vortex Razor with Magview digiscoping attachment for sale right now that would perfectly fit your bill.

Marshfly

WKR
With the way reviews of the new Vortex are coming out I would be hard pressed to buy anything but the new 13-39x56 Razor HD right now if I had $1k to spend on a spotter.

OP
C

Crews

FNG
I agree, that new mini Vortex probably needs to be added to the list. But man, I have always viewed Vortex products as a warranty with a complimentary optic. Wish I could see one in person.

Vanguard Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Full disclosure, I am, well, Vanguard, lol. BUT just putting it out there that we recently stared bundling our optics to offer some more value, and we do have a couple scope kits that come with a tripod, scope, and digiscope adapter. Again, not trying to push a sale or anything, necessarily, but raise some awareness that it's something we're doing nowadays. Either way, there are some fine options mentioned here as well, and I hope you find your right fit.

Optics bundles: https://www.vanguardworld.com/colle...pe-bundles-bundle-and-save-on-vanguard-optics

LaHunter

WKR
taking photos of deer (whitetail), I am assuming most are taken during low light conditions. I have no experience with a small objective spotter, but I have a good bit of experience with a Swaro 65mm objective spotter in various lighting conditions. I would not go smaller than 60-65mm objective if you want quality digiscoping photos in low light. How far are you actually carrying the spotter to get photos of the deer? All things being equal (same spotter model), the larger objective is going to allow you to get better photos in low light conditions. No free lunches with optics.

OP
C

Crews

FNG
It’s certainly not an impossible task to take a bigger optic like an 85mm along, but it’s generally just not worth the effort because this capability is a “nice to have”; doesn’t make or break the hunt. I’m narrowing down on 60-65mm range just based on the assumption it’s going to meet my budget.

I have a very narrow use case for using a spotter. Tripod mounted in a fixed position, deer hunting. I use digiscoping for taking pictures and videos of culls, target bucks outside of shooting range, etc to send to other lease members.

I’ve tried it with quality 15x56…. Decent but not enough zoom. Athlon Ares 65mm had disappointing image quality to me. Finally, tried it with a big Zeiss 85mm that I got for a steal… awesome results but angled eyepiece wasn’t ideal and I needed a wheelbarrow to tote it around.

So, I am wanting a 60mm something that’s easy to carry, doesn’t cost a fortune, and is somewhere between Swaro and disappointment.

Top contenders right now are a 12-40 Gold Ring HD, Kowa 602 brand new, or maybe a deal on a Kowa 664

Am I on the right track? Will a 602 leave me wishing I had tried harder to get a 664? Does the Gold Ring HD hang in there with Kowa?

Thanks y’all!
I would take the Kowa 663 sitting at cameraland for 1100 all day.