Can Digiscoping Make Up for the Drawbacks of a Compact Spotting Scope

MTNMT

FNG
I am in the market for a new spotting scope and I am on the fence between a Swarovski ATS/STS 65 or cutting some weight and dropping down to something like the Swarovski ATC/STC or Kowa 553/554. One of my main concerns with choosing a compact spotting scope is the reduced zoom capabilities on the compact models (you can get up to 60x on the ATS/STS 65 but only 40x on the ATC/STC).

I haven't done any digiscoping, but it seems like you could make up some this shortfall with a digiscoping adapter like a Magview or Ollin. For those of you with experience on this front, I was wondering if my suspicion is right, and if so, how much more capable digiscoping makes your spotters (i.e. maybe you got a spotter that goes out to 40x zoom but with digiscoping you can get clear picture of an elk and zoom in on the picture as if you had 80x zoom).

Appreciate the help.

I have some of my favorite video through my little Kowa 553.

I also have a Meopta 80 and at the higher zooms I tend to get mirage and imperfect focus and vibration and alignment issues that can cause video quality degradation. Prefer to video below 40x and then use the zoom in my phone to go higher if needed.

OP
M

MTNMT

FNG
Thanks Dos - Was thinking there may be some issues when you zoom your scope in further.

taskswap

WKR
I have a Magview and some other cheap knockoff I've tried as well. IMO a 5x camera zoom plus a 10x binocular (let's say) does not equal a spotting scope of any quality. I have a $80 20-60x no-name spotter that's better than this setup.

That doesn't mean I don't think they have their place! When you're digiscoping you can record video to share with friends later, take photos, and even share views with somebody standing next to you. And digiscoping adapters like the magview are pretty light and out of the way. It's the sort of thing you can carry "all the time" whether you think you need it or not. So you always have an option handy.

I guess it depends on your goals. Totally subjective, but I wouldn't say "equivalent to 80x". Maybe an extra 30% depending on the quality you're looking for? Remember, that camera lens is TINY compared to the spotter's eyepiece. It's just not collecting as much light.

OP
M

MTNMT

FNG
Makes sense. I primary goal is finding game. I probably use my spotter more than most for general glassing as I appreciate the extra zoom to pick apart terrain, but I'm usually doing that at about 25x.

Sounds like a digiscoping setup could help quite a bit if I need more than 40x to verify the size on a buck or bull.

atmat

WKR
Makes sense. I primary goal is finding game. I probably use my spotter more than most for general glassing as I appreciate the extra zoom to pick apart terrain, but I'm usually doing that at about 25x.

Sounds like a digiscoping setup could help quite a bit if I need more than 40x to verify the size on a buck or bull.
One issue with digiscoping to locate game is the sun can be tricky with reflection on your screen. So plan for that if you can.

It’s less important/easier to mitigate if you’ve already found game and are just picking it apart.

In general, I’d leave locating game to binos, going to higher mag if your eyes require it.

Marshfly

WKR
iPhone 12 Pro and Kowa 77. Digiscope pics are always significantly worse quality than what I see through the scope with my eyes.
Every review for a scope that includes digiscope images has a comment to that effect as well.
So my answer is no. Hard no.
I will say this though. The vast majority of the time you will find a more useable image about 20% down on the zoom range from max with any scope. Even on my big Kowa, I virtually never find a better image at max zoom.

Honestly I think the compact unit would be good for anything I would need in the field. I have a 65mm Swarovski, and typically it is great at first lite and late afternoon, but there is usually enough mirage effect that any other time it is not really useful.

I agree with using the phone zoom for any additional magnification while digiscoping, or even after recording or taking a photo being able to magnify the image to see what you may have not seen.

That being said I like what I have and also use it at the range, so it works for me…. But I’d gladly get one of the new ATC units if buying again today.

mdf21

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the market for a new spotting scope and I am on the fence between a Swarovski ATS/STS 65 or cutting some weight and dropping down to something like the Swarovski ATC/STC or Kowa 553/554. One of my main concerns with choosing a compact spotting scope is the reduced zoom capabilities on the compact models (you can get up to 60x on the ATS/STS 65 but only 40x on the ATC/STC).

I haven't done any digiscoping, but it seems like you could make up some this shortfall with a digiscoping adapter like a Magview or Ollin. For those of you with experience on this front, I was wondering if my suspicion is right, and if so, how much more capable digiscoping makes your spotters (i.e. maybe you got a spotter that goes out to 40x zoom but with digiscoping you can get clear picture of an elk and zoom in on the picture as if you had 80x zoom).

Appreciate the help.
I was going through the same thought process as you. I was nervous about giving up the extended zoom from an ATS/STS but I ended up going with the STC and used it on a recent mule deer hunting trip. I was surprised at how much I kept the STC on 17-20x to see more terrain and then zoom into 40x if I found something worth looking at. The field of view was still great even at higher zoom but I bet most of my glassing was done at 17x anywhere up to 1000 yards.

I've been messing around with both the magview and Ollin for this set up and I think your thought process is right and similar to mine. Even with "only" 40x, you can get closer with the phone zoom and the quality of the Swaro glass is going to help.

After wondering I was going going to miss 50x or 60x, I'm happy with my choice in the STC. Plus it's so damn packable!

Hope this helps

OP
M

MTNMT

FNG
I was going through the same thought process as you. I was nervous about giving up the extended zoom from an ATS/STS but I ended up going with the STC and used it on a recent mule deer hunting trip. I was surprised at how much I kept the STC on 17-20x to see more terrain and then zoom into 40x if I found something worth looking at. The field of view was still great even at higher zoom but I bet most of my glassing was done at 17x anywhere up to 1000 yards.

I've been messing around with both the magview and Ollin for this set up and I think your thought process is right and similar to mine. Even with "only" 40x, you can get closer with the phone zoom and the quality of the Swaro glass is going to help.

After wondering I was going going to miss 50x or 60x, I'm happy with my choice in the STC. Plus it's so damn packable!

Hope this helps

Really helpful!

I've gone to my local store a couple of times this week to get my eye behind both the ATS and ATC. While I would love to cut the weight going the ATC route, I am leaning towards the ATS because it seems to cup my eye a bit better making it easier on me to focus. Still on the fence though.

Love to take photos thru the spotter to really count age rings and/or horn curl on a ram….or points on a deer, elk, moose, caribou.

Much easier for me to have a stationary photo to evaluate than a moving animal. And yes, in BC we have all the above legality restrictions that I mentioned.

I use a Swaro ATM 20-60x65HD and my iPhone. Also have a little Nikon ED 13-30x50 HD. It is OK too but not as good as the Swaro. Gives up quite a bit if the critter is a long way off.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have some of my favorite video through my little Kowa 553.

I also have a Meopta 80 and at the higher zooms I tend to get mirage and imperfect focus and vibration and alignment issues that can cause video quality degradation. Prefer to video below 40x and then use the zoom in my phone to go higher if needed.
This^

OP, zoom is overrated IMO (Eye relief and FOV underrated)

I more than got by with 30x for years. In real hunting conditions and edges of light (common) you don’t get to use the high powers as much as you’d think

And yes, a phone zoom can make up some of the loss of X. Not perfectly… but all optics are trade-offs

Great thread, 👊 just never noticed it until now

Jlujan01

FNG
This^

OP, zoom is overrated IMO (Eye relief and FOV underrated)

I more than got by with 30x for years. In real hunting conditions and edges of light (common) you don’t get to use the high powers as much as you’d think

And yes, a phone zoom can make up some of the loss of X. Not perfectly… but all optics are trade-offs

Great thread, 👊 just never noticed it until now
Did you ever feel under gunned out at longer distances with you ATC? I’m talking 1500-3000 yards out. I saw your comparison of the ATC vs the ATS 80, but I’m wondering if at those longer distances (especially scouting) if you can wanted more?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Did you ever feel under gunned out at longer distances with you ATC? I’m talking 1500-3000 yards out. I saw your comparison of the ATC vs the ATS 80, but I’m wondering if at those longer distances (especially scouting) if you can wanted more?
Yes, there’s been a few times when I could see animals at a couple miles and I wish I could take a better look.

It’s just all about trade-offs and my ATS 80 has never fit in my day pack so it gets left behind a lot.

And that’s the trade-off with the ATC, it’s always with me, but yeah, all things being equal I wish my big glass was always at my side.
👊

Jlujan01

FNG
Yes, there’s been a few times when I could see animals at a couple miles and I wish I could take a better look.

It’s just all about trade-offs and my ATS 80 has never fit in my day pack so it gets left behind a lot.

And that’s the trade-off with the ATC, it’s always with me, but yeah, all things being equal I wish my big glass was always at my side.
👊
That is where I’m at with choosing a spotter. I have landed on a Kowa 66 but the ATC looks awesome.
Thanks Robby!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That is where I’m at with choosing a spotter. I have landed on a Kowa 66 but the ATC looks awesome.
Thanks Robby!
OK bro' keep us posted on what you decide.

& in case you missed these:

CorbLand

WKR
@robby denning can you stop posting about the ATC? Your really pushing to cost me some money.

If there is anyone in N. Utah that has an ATC and would like to meet up. I would love to compare it to the ATS65. I have been seriously contemplating selling it and getting an ATC.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning can you stop posting about the ATC? Your really pushing to cost me some money.

If there is anyone in N. Utah that has an ATC and would like to meet up. I would love to compare it to the ATS65. I have been seriously contemplating selling it and getting an ATC.
If you don't hear from anyone, I can bring mine to Expo or ship it down to you. I'll be done with it in the next few weeks

CorbLand

WKR
If you don't hear from anyone, I can bring mine to Expo or ship it down to you. I'll be done with it in the next few weeks
I don’t know that I will make it to the Expo this year.

If anything, I will hit you up when I come see the family sometime.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t know that I will make it to the Expo this year.

If anything, I will hit you up when I come see the family sometime.
OK, but I'll be done with it by early Feb, so I can send it if you want to try it. If I can't trust you, I can't trust anyone.