2 Weight Fly Rod Recommendations

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Any recommendations on a 10’-12’ 2 weight rod? I’d like to keep it under $250.

My main thought is that it will be used for blue lining primarily. I really want that extra 1-3’ of rod to be able to bow and arrow cast further and manage the line a little better on roll cast in small streams. For reference, typical stream use would be say 10-15 wide in North Georgia. Maybe gets used in TN or NC once or twice a year.

I’m sure it will see some bluegill as well, but pretty content with my 4 wt on those guys so the rods functionality targeting them isn’t as big of a deal.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I own more fly rods than I can count. Unless you are high stick euro nymphing, get an 8 1/2' 3wt. No one make a rod that I know of that hits all 3, $250, 2wt & 10'.

Maybe a shorter 3wt (7 1/2) so you don't need to bow cast?

I've never heard the term "blue lining" so I had to look it up just now. The rod you describe brings to mind competition czech nymphing. Maybe look at ebay?

Macintosh

WKR
I do some fishing like that, all the way at the north end if the same mtn range. I use a 6.5’ 2 weight. Its still too long sometimes but mostly I can cast—I just like having to “cast” as opposed to dip the line in. you do lose out on mending so I get wanting a longer rod. Id think you might need to build yourself a niche rig like that, or settle for something like a 9’ rod, maybe a 3 weight, or pay a bit more. Something like a TFO stealth is close to your price?? I see they have a 10’ 2 weight.

WCB

WKR
I agree with others above....I fish some here in MN. But mostly MT when I'm there. Small streams 10-15' wide brush or steep tall grass banks. I just run a 4wt 9'6" and never in any of my trips have I wanted a longer rod. I am going to get a 2wt but probably get a 6' or 7'6" 3wt.

I broke a 9'6" 4wt right above the handle and cut a good section out and epoxied it back into the handle. I want to say it is like 8'3" and have used that for small water 15' and smaller...down to 5' wide stuff and I like it. Obviously the action is off a bit because of me patching it together but it solidified wanting a shorter rod for small water not bigger.

fishslap

WKR
I have the TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse Series 7’3” 2 wt. I use it for small stream brookies, browns, and cutts. I have 3wt and 4wt fly rods also and the 4wt gets the most use for trout in general. I never use my 3wt anymore.IMG_0665.jpeg

Yoder

WKR
I have a cheap Maxcatch Farglory 3wt Nymph rod. You can choose between 9ft,10,10'6 and 11ft depending on what pieces of the rod you decide to use. I've had mine for over a year and it works great. For just under $100 it's pretty sensitive and casts well. It's still strong enough to land decent sized trout. My biggest was a 21in rainbow in pretty fast water and it handled it pretty well.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I leave it to you whether that is the right rod for the job or not, but the closest I can think of to what you say you want would be a Redington Hydrogen if you can still find one--I know there is an 11 foot 3 weight at least and they weren't too expensive.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Hardy Flyweight that's a 6' 2 wt that I use for blue lining. I love that little guy. Most of what I fish in those situations is heavy in veg. A 10'+ rod would be bit more of a chore. But Redington has this one below. I wouldn't hesitate for the price. I have several cheap Redingtons and they are a joy.

I fish a lot of little blue lines.
Always fishing dries.
I have two 3wts, one 2wt and one 4wt.
The 2wt is an Echo, 8' 3pc. It gets fished a fair amount however my favorite is my old Loomis GL3 8' 3wt. Just a really nice casting rod and a pleasure to fight a fish up to 18" is my PB on that rod.
In my opinion, anything over 8' is a liability, especially if you have to hike in to some of the streams.

TaperPin

WKR
I also hadn’t heard the term blue lining and had to look it up (small creeks shown on maps as a simple thin line). I love fishing the smallest of creeks, and have crept up on hands and knees to many 2’ wide slow creeks in the middle of sagebrush country with great results. I haven’t fished really brushy areas simply because retreaving flies looses its appeal quickly.

Redds flyshop has a video for small creeks and at 8:50 shows a bow and arrow cast - I hadn’t seen that before, even though everyone in Wyoming fishes little streams. I’ll have to give it a try, but to be honest, old habits die hard and it will be hard to give up a fast action rod good for wind for one with a super flexible tip. It will be fun to find another way kids can cast short distances for brookies.

I picked up a 12’ 2 wt. euro nymph rig for rivers with a lot of easy to catch stockers that hug the bottom, but I’m on the fence if it’s worth using on small streams - it just seems more natural to be able to make quick accurate casts to all the pockets with a 9’ rod. Euro nymph casts, at least my casts, are anything but accurate. Lol

One of those little Japanese rods looks interesting - would be easy to add as an extra rod to experiment with. I wish a friend would buy one so I could just borrow it. Lol

LCguy

FNG
I would suggest Tenkara for blue lines, honestly. The DragonTAIL Mizuchi would be my vote for a Tenkara beginner rod. Can fish at three different lengths and isn't super stiff or super soft so it's easy to learn how to cast.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Tenkara is so dumb. Its like the ultimate manbun activity. Check me out bro, I'm so unique I fish Japanese style with no reel.

I know only one person who uses tankara and hes a left leaning band teacher with a manbun and cankles. He wears socks with tevas and jean shorts.

LCguy

FNG
I mean, it's like anything else, it has its place. I'm not saying ONLY fish tenkara but for blue lines or backpacking trips it certainly has advantages over western style rods.

Q child

WKR
Tenkara is so dumb. Its like the ultimate manbun activity. Check me out bro, I'm so unique I fish Japanese style with no reel.

I know only one person who uses tankara and hes a left leaning band teacher with a manbun and cankles. He wears socks with tevas and jean shorts.
What?

IdahoBeav

WKR
Check me out bro, I'm so unique I fish Japanese style with no reel.
I've never tried tenkara, but there is a lot of fishing where a reel is not needed, and 90% of freshwater fly fisherman are over-reeled. The market plays into this, though. They make fancy tricked out reels that are only used to store excessive backing. There is no reason for a 10 lb disc drag on a 3-4 wt reel.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've never tried tenkara, but there is a lot of fishing where a reel is not needed, and 90% of freshwater fly fisherman are over-reeled. The market plays into this, though. They make fancy tricked out reels that are only used to store excessive backing. There is no reason for a 10 lb disc drag on a 3-4 wt reel.
I agree with that 100%.

OP
B

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider

I’d say both of these are accurate, hence why I use the cheapest freshwater reels money can buy but also won’t use a tenkara.