2012 Kuiu Icon 7000 - Great pack, just not for load hauling...and it SQUEAKS!

Hauled out a rear quarter of an elk and wow, was it uncomfortable. I'm not sure if the new icon pros perform better than the 2012 model but it def did not score well for load hauling. Also, the dang thing squeaks! The squeak isn't consistent but wow when it was there it was annoying and it felt like everything in the valley could hear that damn thing. I tried putting some felt on upper stay that was responsible for most of the squeaking and it seemed to help a little, but still wasn't perfect.

Anyone with an icon pro have any squeaking or pack out any meat?

Kotaman

WKR
The "Pro" is a different pack all together. I have owned every generation of KUIU packs made and could never find one that worked for me...Until now...The Icon Pro addresses several issues that all of the other packs had. The Icon PRO will handle a load and mine doesn't squeak. Can't say that for every other KUIU pack I owned. The Icon Pro is a winner.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have an Ultra that I upgraded to a pro simply by switching out the Harness and waistbelt. It is certainly not in the class of Kifaru or Stone Glacier as far as comfort with heavy loads, but it is super light and woudl work in a pinch for sure. My frame squeaks sometimes depending on how I loaded it up. I still like the pack as a lightweight summer backpacking/packrafting trips. But when it comes to hauling animals out of the field I find that with heavy loads it certainly gives up comfort to Kifaru or SG. I would rather have a 1-3 pound heavier pack if its more comfortable when heavy loads are a potential.

Hope that helps.

I was upgrading gear this past year. I hope to have an EMR II in my future, but money was tight. With the negative reviews, there were Icons available at some bargain pricing. I bit. I figured that I'd just recognize the load limitations of the frame. I packed three elk out on three consecutive days with my buddies.

The body of the five point was like a Clydesdale, way bigger than the seven point. Because it was a longer haul, I said "F" it, we'll see what happens. One load that I took was a boned hind, a boned front, backstraps and the neck meat. I used a good chunk of the 7200.

It squeaked a little, but took the load and I have to say that I was not uncomfortable, though the initial half mile was a "rigorous" elevation change. I can't complain about the performance of the pack. Now, Satan's Jenga game of a blowdown that I got sucked into trying to cut some distance to a road...

I'd still like an EMR II. If everybody could start talking smack about those so I could pick one up off the classifieds for a bargain...

Kotaman

WKR
I have an Ultra that I upgraded to a pro simply by switching out the Harness and waistbelt. It is certainly not in the class of Kifaru or Stone Glacier as far as comfort with heavy loads, but it is super light and woudl work in a pinch for sure. My frame squeaks sometimes depending on how I loaded it up. I still like the pack as a lightweight summer backpacking/packrafting trips. But when it comes to hauling animals out of the field I find that with heavy loads it certainly gives up comfort to Kifaru or SG. I would rather have a 1-3 pound heavier pack if its more comfortable when heavy loads are a potential.

Hope that helps.

I should have added some of the comments Luke made as well as I own a Kifaru T1, a Kifaru Nomad, Stone Glacier Solo, KUIU Ultra 3000 and a Mystery Ranch Metcalf along with the Icon Pro 5200...While the Icon Pro is a great pack for the value, it is no Kifaru or Stone Glacier but at half the price a very viable option for the cash conscience buyer...To be honest, this Icon Pro carries 100 lbs. pretty darn good.

Kotaman

WKR
I was upgrading gear this past year. I hope to have an EMR II in my future, but money was tight. With the negative reviews, there were Icons available at some bargain pricing. I bit. I figured that I'd just recognize the load limitations of the frame. I packed three elk out on three consecutive days with my buddies.

The body of the five point was like a Clydesdale, way bigger than the seven point. Because it was a longer haul, I said "F" it, we'll see what happens. One load that I took was a boned hind, a boned front, backstraps and the neck meat. I used a good chunk of the 7200.

It squeaked a little, but took the load and I have to say that I was not uncomfortable, though the initial half mile was a "rigorous" elevation change. I can't complain about the performance of the pack. Now, Satan's Jenga game of a blowdown that I got sucked into trying to cut some distance to a road...

I'd still like an EMR II. If everybody could start talking smack about those so I could pick one up off the classifieds for a bargain...

If I was hunting AK every year, I would own a Duplex EMR2 and never think I could ever own anything better. The size of that pack intimidates me, even though it does nicely in daypack mode, that pack is a beast.

That's an angle I hadn't thought of. I need to find my path to an EMR II.

"Well, honey, I HAVE to go to Alaska every year. I have this pack..."

luke moffat

Super Moderator

HAHA....that EMR 2 always seems to end up heavy.....and the 9 animals I have packed out thus far with it would def like to talk smack about if they could ;) Which 9 animals at this point is roughly about 1/3 what Aron has packed out with his in NWT I would bet! Either way its an investment. The Kuiu is a great pack and likely one of the best in that price range for "backpack hunting" especially at its scant weight, but I wouldn't' wanna use it year in year out for hauling 15 or so animals out of the backcountry.

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
I should have added some of the comments Luke made as well as I own a Kifaru T1, a Kifaru Nomad, Stone Glacier Solo, KUIU Ultra 3000 and a Mystery Ranch Metcalf along with the Icon Pro 5200...While the Icon Pro is a great pack for the value, it is no Kifaru or Stone Glacier but at half the price a very viable option for the cash conscience buyer...To be honest, this Icon Pro carries 100 lbs. pretty darn good.
How do you like the Kuiu Ultra? Can you give details on the pros & cons?

Kotaman

WKR
How do you like the Kuiu Ultra? Can you give details on the pros & cons?

I am not a big fan of the Ultra for anything other than a daypack, UNLESS you do what Luke did and combine it with a Icon Pro Frame.

Cons: I don't like the waistbelt and suspension nor the thin bag material or the goofy snaps.
Pros: It's light

On my out the door for a hunt in BC, so I apologize if I don't respond to any further questions...:cool:

HAHA....that EMR 2 always seems to end up heavy.....and the 9 animals I have packed out thus far with it would def like to talk smack about if they could ;) Which 9 animals at this point is roughly about 1/3 what Aron has packed out with his in NWT I would bet! Either way its an investment. The Kuiu is a great pack and likely one of the best in that price range for "backpack hunting" especially at its scant weight, but I wouldn't' wanna use it year in year out for hauling 15 or so animals out of the backcountry.

I've only got 6 so far in my pack Luke, I have some catching up to do! Maybe in a few weeks :)

The EMRII is such a nice system, on a duplex, wish I could find a moose to play dumb so I could try that on for size, haha.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Heading down to Kodiak here shortly....going for deer and goats for 4 people so hopefully I will be blessed with a chance to help haul a couple goats and deer off the mountain for my dad especially. Hopefully I can stay ahead of the Discovery channel "animal pack count" (deadliest catch style)........"and once again Aron Snyder leads the animal pack count with everyone else in a distant second....." :)