2013 Meat Pole

Thanks guys. We managed to get it on video as well, my buddy was able to get an arrow in one as well. I posted it in the video central section.... SD Pronghorn. Thanks Again

SD Spot and Stalk

After many trials and tribulations with another buck I decided to test my wits against this critter. The first time I drew on him he was 120 yards and I decided to try and cut that distance in half as I owe it to myself and to the animal. Many cactus spikes later I was in a more comfortable position pressed againt the flat terrain. Hard to get a good picture that shows his overall length of horn and cutters because they go in whichever direction! Lots of character! Surpassed my goal of taking a 70" goat in SD this year! The herds have looked a lot better that is for sure.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Does this mean you were planning to shoot at the antelope at 120 yards?

Joe

I set up an ambush.....I drew when he was much closer but he was pestering does and by the time he offered the shot opportunity he was at that point. I couldn't and wouldn't take that shot. Gotta know your own limitations right?

Does this mean you were planning to shoot at the antelope at 120 yards?

Joe

You'd be surprised at how many people do... I can count how many I have seen posted on Facebook this season claiming shots over 100 yards...

Possible? Yes... Very...

Ethical...? Not a chance, especially on a Pronghorn with how much they are moving and how fast they are. I have had them jump the string at 30 and less.

Again, nice buck Jared.

You'd be surprised at how many people do... I can count how many I have seen posted on Facebook this season claiming shots over 100 yards...

Possible? Yes... Very...

Ethical...? Not a chance, especially on a Pronghorn with how much they are moving and how fast they are. I have had them jump the string at 30 and less.

Again, nice buck Jared.

with even the fastest bow... a wary antelope could spin twice and do a jig by the time the arrow gets 120 yards. It does not matter if you are the best shooter in the world and have perfect conditions, you cannot control the animal. Antelope are small and fast, seriously something wrong with people willing to take 100+ yard shots at them.

Joe

I agree with you guys! That's why I felt much more comfortable with my 62 yard shot. To some, they will think that is too far as well. To each their own.

Sweet lope Jared! I know how they can push you mentally. Hard not to start flingin arrows @ 100 yards when they keep pestering you @80& 90. They have a sixth sense on how far were willing to shoot. And they will test you as hard as possible!

Ill add one. Start to finish took about 4 hours. Good time though! My dad came with on the bonsai tag. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379301207.046779.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379301228.979594.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379301235.738270.jpg

Nice animals everyone!!

Yea the guys that Just fling arrows at Pronghorns are inconsiderate of these beautiful creatures. If you can't get close enough guys should hunt waterholes. My shots at waterholes have been 9 yards-20 yards. This years buck was at 13 yards. Pretty cool being that close to these wiley creatures. Bowhunting to me is about being close.

Last edited:
Back