2018 for First Lite...30 new pieces.

I wear the harness under the outer shell. I bow hunt only public so one little clank is a confidence killer. When climbing in a climber it keeps leg buckles and such from bumping the climber frame in set up and climbing.

Benjblt

WKR
I totally agree!

I'm not a softshell fan but this jacket is warm, windproof with very little bulk. I found myself wearing this jacket a ton last November as a layering piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan,
I just had a conversation (online chat) with First Lite costumer service regarding sizing and it appears to be contradictory to the interview you had and what I've been hearing. First I asked about the SEAK jacket and he said it would fit exactly the same. Then I asked about the base layers, specifically Aerowool. See below. Not sure what to think?

Me:
1. Would the new 150 weight Aerowool crew short sleeve fit slightly bigger than the current version? 2. How will the 200 weight Aerowool fit?

First Lite: I would say the 150 compares closely to our current aerowool offering and the 200 is close to our current 170 merino offering (the llano)

Me:
I was told that the base layers would be sized up.

First Lite:
Where did you hear that Ben?

Me:
First Lite's New Clothing For 2018 - YouTube minute 7:45 and Rokslide.

First Lite:
Gotcha
Ok there may be a bit of confusing language there.
We've found with the new line you generally want to ramian in the same size or even size down.
Generally the new line fits similarly to the 17' aerowool options

Me:
the llano fits slightly fitted. The 2017 aerowool SS was very fitted, like a muscle shirt. I sold my Large this year assuming that the new line would fit slightly larger. Sounds like that might not be the case now.

First Lite:
No worries man! I'm just trying to figure out what will work best for you
I would say you're a medium in most everything in our line
the SEAK definitely runs big to accommodate layering underneath

Our conversation went on for a bit longer.

NDGuy

WKR
Ryan,
I just had a conversation (online chat) with First Lite costumer service regarding sizing and it appears to be contradictory to the interview you had and what I've been hearing. First I asked about the SEAK jacket and he said it would fit exactly the same. Then I asked about the base layers, specifically Aerowool. See below. Not sure what to think?

Me:
1. Would the new 150 weight Aerowool crew short sleeve fit slightly bigger than the current version? 2. How will the 200 weight Aerowool fit?

First Lite: I would say the 150 compares closely to our current aerowool offering and the 200 is close to our current 170 merino offering (the llano)

Me:

First Lite:

Me:

First Lite:
Gotcha
We've found with the new line you generally want to ramian in the same size or even size down.

Me:
the llano fits slightly fitted. The 2017 aerowool SS was very fitted, like a muscle shirt. I sold my Large this year assuming that the new line would fit slightly larger. Sounds like that might not be the case now.

First Lite:

Lol looks like I still don’t know what the hell size to order from them. Hopefully they change to free shipping and a free size return process.

Benjblt

WKR
Lol looks like I still don’t know what the hell size to order from them. Hopefully they change to free shipping and a free size return process.

Free size return would be the way to go. I think that is one way for companies to set themselves apart and make themselve more attractive to customers. It sucks to have to pay return shipping.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Free size return would be the way to go. I think that is one way for companies to set themselves apart and make themselve more attractive to customers. It sucks to have to pay return shipping.
At the very least, I've never had them charge me to ship back to me the replacement size

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
At the very least, I've never had them charge me to ship back to me the replacement size

Yes but you need to pay to ship to them correct?

I've never had an issue with firstlites sizing. Is the sizing chart on the website inaccurate? Are people not measuring themselves (chest, waist, arms) correctly before buying? It was pretty straightforward to me once I took measurements.

NDGuy

WKR
I've never had an issue with firstlites sizing. Is the sizing chart on the website inaccurate? Are people not measuring themselves (chest, waist, arms) correctly before buying? It was pretty straightforward to me once I took measurements.

I think it’s just different body types.

In my case I’m short and stout, so a lot of their small or medium stuff is too tight but their large stuff is wayyyy to long for me.

Dad bod problems.

twall13

WKR
My issues with sizing have been consistency across pieces. A large wilkin fits me well but the large Chama is short in the torso and WAY wide around the midsection.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
My issues with sizing have been consistency across pieces. A large wilkin fits me well but the large Chama is short in the torso and WAY wide around the midsection.

Indeed this was an issue. But I think you are going to find that problem resolved in the 2018 line and going forward. My understanding is they spent a LOT of time with their manufacturers dialing the fit across multiple lines (aero, merino X, outer layers, etc) in order to interchange the pieces and "stack" the layers more consistently (fit-wise).

I'm very excited to place my order this year, this I know for sure!

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider

I get the impression most sizing issues are more about fit preferences. Using wilkin and chama as an example. As a possible base layer, Wilkin would be more fitted, to easily layer under, chama would be looser, to easily layer over. You could probably do medium of both and have the fit that first lite had in mind, though maybe for your preference, the wilkin would be too snug. Sounds like now first lite is gonna make them all with the same fit, and you'll now have to buy different sizes in order to properly layer. Apparently that's what more customers prefer . . .

Last edited:

Dwight.MT

FNG
Indeed this was an issue. But I think you are going to find that problem resolved in the 2018 line and going forward. My understanding is they spent a LOT of time with their manufacturers dialing the fit across multiple lines (aero, merino X, outer layers, etc) in order to interchange the pieces and "stack" the layers more consistently (fit-wise).

Glad to hear that about the FL sizing! It's taken me some trial and error to figure out how I fit into the FL sizing scheme (I'm size M in FL but size L in Sitka, KUIU, and virtually everything else). Now that I've figured that out its fine, but it does seem that a the FL sizing is more confusing to folks than other brands. Hopefully customers won't get confused or frustrated. I've done the buy/return thing a lot with KUIU and the $ starts to add up after a while. In my case it's not been so much about size exchanging, it's been more about the materials - you never really know the warmth, durability, quietness, etc of a material until you get your hands on it. I suggested to FL customer service that they do a mobile showroom type thing like KUIU did last summer, that way folks can get a feel for sizing and materials at the same time, no returns necessary.

Benjblt

WKR
Many people have issues. Just read my post two posts ago. Has very little to do with the chart when two different style of the same fabric i n the same weight for completely different.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Benjblt

WKR

Read my post above. Not the last one but a couple above that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan,

Me:

Me:

First Lite:

Me:

First Lite:
Gotcha

Me:

First Lite:

All I can say with certainty is my 2018 stuff is at least a half size smaller.

twall13

WKR
You may be partially correct but that still wouldn't solve it for me. I could possibly get away with a medium in both but as you can see from the photos below I'd still have issues. The difference in torso length and girth doesn't match up. I just snapped some quick photos to illustrate what I'm trying to describe. I promise I'm not stretching the Chama out, I could make it look much worse if I wanted. It's significantly more baggy in the midsection and, as you can see, way shorter than the wilkin. Why would the mid layer be so much shorter and wider? Am I supposed to wear the Chama over a puffy? Remember, these are both size large. Should I be wearing a medium wilkin and a small Chama? I wonder what a small Chama would do to me torso lengthwise.. Don't get me wrong, I love the Chama and wear it a lot, I'm just trying to point out my experience with the fit and where I hope they are making improvements this year.
00c697cb837ecc024aca68c7ebafaa52.jpg
de68aaad617e5f5409bcc4c6379813d3.jpg
00098d91f9734d0ea093e2a4f26321e3.jpg

Last edited: