2019 Idaho Mule Deer OTC in Salmon-Challis NF

Two of us will be there with our backpacks trekking in on Oct 9, was curious if anyone else had advice or interested in coordinating. Wolf tags in hand and also willing to tag down on a cougar. Hoping for a quality hunt and at least seeing some nice critters without being bombarded by other hunters or motorbikes. Thanks -

What's your plan for clothes and sleeping bags? You are probably already watching the weather. Heard from some friends it snowed down low in the Salmon valley today.

OP
menhaden_man
Yeah it’s snowing above 2k elevation today in eastern WA. We’re good for temps into the teens, any worse we’ll provably puss out and get a hotel and case of beer.

OP
menhaden_man
Trust me, no booze comes with us... but once we notch tags all bets are off 🍻!

Trails.idaho.gov to see whether you’ll be away for ORV traffic...

I'm still a bit new to Idaho and their ORV laws. Are ORVs allowed only on those highlighted designated trails or are they allowed off trail as well? Excluding motorized hunting rule units of course.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still a bit new to Idaho and their ORV laws. Are ORVs allowed only on those highlighted designated trails or are they allowed off trail as well? Excluding motorized hunting rule units of course.
“Off Trail” like wherever you dammed well feel like driving your ORV, up/down any hill you see fit to take your rig and tear up the place? I dunno. I’ve never seen a gate or sign that said “quad runners go buck wild in this area...drive wherever you feel like. We built these trails to minimize the impact to the landscape but if you see a buck up yonder or don’t feel like hiking have at her. Wanna see if your SXS can hit 80 through the sagebrush...git her done!! It’s all good.”
But just because I haven’t seen such a sign doesn’t mean they don’t exist so prolly check with the local office where you plan to hunt.

“Off Trail” like wherever you dammed well feel like driving your ORV, up/down any hill you see fit to take your rig and tear up the place? I dunno. I’ve never seen a gate or sign that said “quad runners go buck wild in this area...drive wherever you feel like. We built these trails to minimize the impact to the landscape but if you see a buck up yonder or don’t feel like hiking have at her. Wanna see if your SXS can hit 80 through the sagebrush...git her done!! It’s all good.”
But just because I haven’t seen such a sign doesn’t mean they don’t exist so prolly check with the local office where you plan to hunt.

Well the reason I ask is that I want to avoid motorized travel as much as possible. I'm that guy that walks absolutely everywhere, but I day hunt DIY from my vehicle. From what I read, especially in central and southern ID it's hard to avoid. If I had it my way I would restrict ORV travel to hunters over the age of 70 and handicapped individuals.

sounds like you need to review the MVUM for where youre headed.

Thank you, same map as on IDFG Hunt Planner, as well as the Salmon-Challis National Forest Map I have. I think I know the answer to my own question now, thank you all!

Two of us will be there with our backpacks trekking in on Oct 9, was curious if anyone else had advice or interested in coordinating. Wolf tags in hand and also willing to tag down on a cougar. Hoping for a quality hunt and at least seeing some nice critters without being bombarded by other hunters or motorbikes. Thanks -

Interested, how did you do? Planning a trip next year for this area. Going to church.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk