2020 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
Both of my local archery ranges are shut down but I am going to start bring a target and my bow to work next week so I can do the CBC again further since I put all 5 days on the vitals. They might not have been perfect shots but I want to see how far it takes to fail.

Very cool challenge! Had a lot of fun doing it, makes me remember why I need to practice before hunting season.... it’s fun though my kid, 4, loves getting out and walking the 3D course with me with his toy bow.

I am a new member but defiantly not new to the site. I have gotten a lot of my information from here. Anytime before I buy something or want to buy something I seem to find a thread on it with good, and bad advice, haha.
I am looking forward to the forum.

People need to calm down. I've got 2 shots left. I'm not trying to shoot every day. I'm trying to do it at random intervals. Unfortunately police officers have been deemed "essential", so my department has translated that as you will work overtime every shift. Could I shoot daily, probably yes. I realize it's 1 arrow. I also understand that I'm not the only person in the contest working long hours. Do I want to, no. If you are impatient don't worry, I got a PM that says we have 7 days to complete the challenge or we're disqualified. I'll finish on my off days. You'll get your prize soon enough.

Last edited:

colersu22

WKR
People need to calm down. I've got 2 shots left. I'm not trying to shoot every day. I'm trying to do it at random intervals. Unfortunately police officers have been deemed "essential", so my department has translated that as you will work overtime every shift. Could I shoot daily, probably yes. I realize it's 1 arrow. I also understand that I'm not the only person in the contest working long hours. Do I want to, no. If you are impatient don't worry, I got a PM that says we have 7 days to complete the challenge or we're disqualified. I'll finish on my off days. You'll get your prize soon enough.

I agree, normally it is about 6 weeks for everyone to finish and it has only been 2 weeks since the start. Some people are busy with work and family so extra time is not a big deal.

I don’t think anyone is trying to push other people to finish up- it was just friendly banter. Finish when you can and make those shots count when you take them!

Jimbob

WKR
Well, this challenge sure has humbled me and lit a fire to regain my archery proficiency.

I believe my inconsistency was a combination of skill and gear (bow out of tune) so I'm addressing both. Come July my goal is to have a minimum legit 60 yd mer.

New arrows, new broadheads, new rest, new bow (probably), and I'm still debating going to a hinge release.

It would be cool if people did this challenge again in the summer when dialed in then did a comparison of their pictures from spring to summer.

Ucsdryder

WKR
But seriously hurry up. It takes 5 mins from your day lol
Hope nobody thinks my comment is in trying to get this over. To me it's the essence of the challenge. I understand not shooting 45 yards in a stiff wind, but question yourself, if you honestly would pass that shot with a b&c or even Pope and Young animal in front of you then pass the shot. However I know few people who would pass an animal that is within there "range". But most of those guys haven't challenged themselves to shoot in real world conditions at their "range".

That's the point of this challenge. If you chose a MER that didn't humble you, either you are extremely realistic about your hunting ranges (and I commend you for that as most aren't) or you didn't challenge yourself enough. In my opinion.

Yep. I have to drive 20 minutes each way to shoot Broadheads.

snopro176

WKR
Well, this challenge sure has humbled me and lit a fire to regain my archery proficiency.

I believe my inconsistency was a combination of skill and gear (bow out of tune) so I'm addressing both. Come July my goal is to have a minimum legit 60 yd mer.

New arrows, new broadheads, new rest, new bow (probably), and I'm still debating going to a hinge release.

It would be cool if people did this challenge again in the summer when dialed in then did a comparison of their pictures from spring to summer.

I agree, a follow up picture before season would be cool and a list of improvements you made.

And I think for anyone looking to make the best of the equipment they own, if you're not working on your own equipment with a bow press and such, I'd strongly advise making that a priority for the future Without a doubt its been the biggest improvement I've made to my shooting ability and thats not so much making the bow shoot bare shaft tune at crazy distances or anything, but rather make it fit ME and how I want it to feel. Being able to dial in the draw length to an 1/8 inch, adjust how hard I want the back wall to feel, creep tune and torque tune those misses you get in less than ideal circumstances, all of it has made a world of difference. Just my .02

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
I agree, a follow up picture before season would be cool and a list of improvements you made.

And I think for anyone looking to make the best of the equipment they own, if you're not working on your own equipment with a bow press and such, I'd strongly advise making that a priority for the future Without a doubt its been the biggest improvement I've made to my shooting ability and thats not so much making the bow shoot bare shaft tune at crazy distances or anything, but rather make it fit ME and how I want it to feel. Being able to dial in the draw length to an 1/8 inch, adjust how hard I want the back wall to feel, creep tune and torque tune those misses you get in less than ideal circumstances, all of it has made a world of difference. Just my .02

Agree 100%, learning how your bow works and being able to adjust it is crucial. I have been out in the shop shooting through paper, shooting bare shafts, tweaking timing and yokes, adjusting rest, moved d-loop etc. it showed that my bow was out of tune and my broadheads were not flying consistently during the challenge.

Also, (as we all know) changing equipment is not a magic fix. Perfect practice is what's needed. I just want my gear to match me perfectly and be able to do what I ask of it.

I have found for me the cheap part of Archery is the bow.

It's everything to build your arrows and tune your bow is where you spend the money.

Luckily I have found I can offset that cost by owning a lot more bows.

For all you trad guys out there... man I can tell I need to shoot at least a dozen arrows a day to stay consistent with my release. Idk how I kept my shots as decent as they were in the challenge (did a cold shot a few days after the challenge at same range and missed the target all together) due to terrible collapse in bow arm and probably anchor as well. Going through the shot in my head several times prior to the cold shots must have helped me maintain somewhat decent tension through the shot. I’m committing To at least a dozen “good” arrows in my garage a day going forward. Plan to shoot a few before hunting as well. Happy shooting all!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, don’t put those bows away yet. I just got off the phone with @Phil Mendoza of No Limits Archery and he’s going to start a series next week on different shot scenarios to practice.

It’s a different concept than the CBC, it’s more of a challenge to prepare yourself for a CBC.

He’ll start posting the videos in the sub forum in archery forum here https://www.rokslide.com/forums/forums/alpha-bowhunting.125/

He’ll start posting on Monday 4/27.

He’s giving away two Hoyt bows and some grab bags. He’ll just be drawing from the comments on the YouTube channel. For those of you guys are following him on Instagram, you can participate that way too.

Just wanted to let you all know this is coming down the pipeline.

Give us one more reason to practice while we got this time on our hands.

Sounds like he’s trying to get Aron Snyder involved too, so if it all works out you should see him in some of the videos as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TravisIN

WKR
Hey guys, don’t put those bows away yet. I just got off the phone with @Phil Mendoza of No Limits Archery and he’s going to start a series next week on different shot scenarios to practice.

It’s a different concept than the CBC, it’s more of a challenge to prepare yourself for a CBC.

He’ll start posting the videos in the sub forum in archery forum here https://www.rokslide.com/forums/forums/alpha-bowhunting.125/

He’ll start posting on Monday 4/27.

He’s giving away two Hoyt bows and some grab bags. He’ll just be drawing from the comments on the YouTube channel. For those of you guys are following him on Instagram, you can participate that way too.

Just wanted to let you all know this is coming down the pipeline.

Give us one more reason to practice while we got this time on our hands.

Sounds like he’s trying to get Aron Snyder involved too, so if it all works out you should see him in some of the videos as well.

Sounds awesome! I’m in as long as it’s more than one arrow a day

Sounds awesome! I’m in as long as it’s more than one arrow a day

I agree. First couple practice seasons after the CBC did not go great. Rushed shots, didn’t focus on process or good back tension etc. shot my recurve at 40 today (cold shot but with field tip) and this was the result. I figured out I need to draw and anchor a couple times and go through process before I fire an arrow... they are definitely not always like thiS, but I’m getting more consistent with my first arrows. No pressure on either makes a diffence too.
5D95CA1B-D6AC-42A5-AC59-4EF805D4AB01.jpeg