2020 - Where to apply in Idaho?

Hey all,
WA resident here and I just finished up another year with a nice little meat buck. Looking at going across the state line next year for a second chance at buck in Idaho. Any thoughts appreciated on units guys enjoy hunting. I have done zero scouting in Idaho so far. Want to apply for a special draw tag, but still hunt if unsuccessful in the lottery. Willing to put in the miles on the ground to have a chance at a good buck. I like hunting the mountains, but I prefer hunting in Sagebrush (eastern Washington style).

Any thoughts appreciated!
This is a great community, Thanks again.

Attachments

• 2019 Mule deer buck.jpg
    2019 Mule deer buck.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 118
Nonresident odds are going to be minuscule anywhere good.

As far as OTC units, do your research on factors important to you—deer pop, hunter pop, terrain, etc.

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
The IDFG website has a hunt planner, up to date harvest stats, draw odds, and nice interactive maps.
You really need to determine the general area (whitetail or mulies) and use the info on their website. Spend as much time as you can scouting, so you have multiple areas within a unit to hunt.
It's worth mentioning that we have been overwhelmed with non-resident hunters. IDFG responded by lowering non resident tag allocation and increasing the price of tags. Therefore, you need to get after your research and scouting.

Last edited:
This post is the exact reason Idaho residents are getting sick of us Washington guys. If you’re one state away, there’s no reason you can’t open the regs and take a few weekend trips over and get a feel for the areas you want to hunt yourself. Bust open the regs and google earth, and put in your work like the rest of us. People will be much more likely to help after you’ve put forth a little effort. Rant over.

87TT

WKR
The IDFG website has a hunt planner, up to date harvest stats, draw odds, and nice interactive maps.
You really need to determine the general area (whitetail or mulies) and use the info on their website. Spend as much time as you can scouting, so you have multiple areas within a unit to hunt.
It's worth mentioning that we have been overwhelmed with non-resident hunters. IDFG responded by lowering non resident tag allocation and increasing the price of tags. Therefore, you need to get after your research and scouting

They haven't changed anything......…..yet. Proposed for 2021 and only quotas for each Elk zone.

Do some scouting late summer and/or shortly before the season. I'd also speak with biologists and research what the hunts are like on the fish and game website. Figure out if you want to wade through more hunters and be in areas with more deer or be in low density deer areas with fewer hunters; generally Idaho residents know where there's more deer and there's a relationship between deer and hunter numbers. Check out the state website for lots of data and information. Ultimately, you'll want to pick a couple units and learn them.