2021 Aaska Moose 16B Hunters

How have your previous 16b hunts gone?? My last hunt in 16b was in 2017 I saw A few nice bulls but didnt get one. This year im going back to the same area. I was wondering if anybody has hunted 16b and how your experience was.

Last edited:
OP
HornHunter21
Any feed back would be awesome as we can share experience, in 2017 i had a good time. it was my first trip to ak and didnt know what to expect. This time ill have a boat and all the gear to move around. last time i was stuck on foot. witch wasn't bad for the first week but after that it kinda sucked. This year im really going to give it my all planned for the 10th-28th so there will be plenty of time

Last edited:

AlaskaEd

WKR
I hunt 16B on and off. Last year the moose were hit pretty hard by the winter. The moose numbers were pretty low according to everyone I talked to. Haven’t heard much about this year yet, but I did help a guy fly one out from the north end on the 1st. 16B is pretty big and covers all types of moose habitat (swamps, hills, mountains, etc.), so it’s hard to say how your area will be. There has been a lot of rain and the rivers are high and the swamps are extra swampy. We had some snow in the hills/mountains a week ago or so ago, and that tends to push the moose down lower.

OP
HornHunter21
I just got back and it was the worst experience iv had in a while. Ill take credit for my part (Dyor) do my own research, but if you ever go with someone on that river make DAM sure you go with somebody capable and experianced,

Clarktar

WKR
My hunt was good. We used a transporter. Did not harvest a moose but there were two legal bulls with 1/2 mile. I'll chalk up the goose egg to the learning curve of my first moose hunt. Tried to be patient for several days and call. They weren't interested. In hindsight I should have charged in after them. Not enough elevation to gain to locate the moose so it would have been mostly still hunting. There were several bears in the area which made things exciting (they shredded my packraft). Lots of air traffic over our area but no one dropped on top of us.

All in all I was put in an area where I could be successful, but I wasn't. I'd do it again though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
HornHunter21
When it was possible for me to hunt i had a great time. I called in a few Moose 1 little bull on the first day that got my hopes up, After that it was down hill. by day 5or 6 i was by my self beacuse the "Guide" hunted late got back to camp and drank all night til 4am and didnt get back up3 days later, the helicopter came got him. for hypothermia and dehydration. On day 4 or 5 i think it was his boat got swamped and was at the bottom of the river. so for 5 days i tried to get the boat out. thats another story. after about the 5th day i had a feeling moose hunting was over for me.

Clarktar

WKR
When it was possible for me to hunt i had a great time. I called in a few Moose 1 little bull on the first day that got my hopes up, After that it was down hill. by day 5or 6 i was by my self beacuse the "Guide" hunted late got back to camp and drank all night til 4am and didnt get back up3 days later, the helicopter came got him. for hypothermia and dehydration. On day 4 or 5 i think it was his boat got swamped and was at the bottom of the river. so for 5 days i tried to get the boat out. thats another story. after about the 5th day i had a feeling moose hunting was over for me.
Whoa! Sounds like that trip provided some good fodder for campfire stories. Did you go through an outfitter or some sort of guide service to secure a guided hunt?

I'm trying to figure out some winter moose options currently.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JayC

FNG
I know this is last year‘s thread but just had a question. Going on my first moose hunt from sept 10th to the 20th. Was just curious if anybody could tell me if bulls were receptive to calls during that timeframe in the past or is it a bit early?

PA Hunter

WKR
I know this is last year‘s thread but just had a question. Going on my first moose hunt from sept 10th to the 20th. Was just curious if anybody could tell me if bulls were receptive to calls during that timeframe in the past or is it a bit early?
I was hunting out of Tok last year by September 14th I had them coming to my calls, of course this is just one person in one very little spot of Alaska.

JColony

FNG
Hunted from the 17th - 25th last year. Had them talking throughout the hunt. Ended up calling in and getting mine on the 23rd.