2023 ANTELOPE MEAT POLE

My first antelope hunt in the books. We saw bigger bucks for sure, but my goal was a fun, well executed stalk on a decent buck. This guy was in a spot that gave me enough terrain and cactus (and a couple cattle) to make a good stalk. I shot him at 328 yards with a 6.5 cm 139 Scenar. It was a really fun hunt and hopefully not my last time chasing antelope!
8ca99e041def186ae4b0727e9492f08d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Buddy and I got it done on Oct. 9 in MT.
His was 520 yds. and is just under 15”..
Mine was 340 yds. and 13.75”..
They sure are fun to hunt!

Attachments

• 2BEF47DC-C24E-4BBC-A7EF-7267ED167C91.jpeg
    2BEF47DC-C24E-4BBC-A7EF-7267ED167C91.jpeg
    503.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 533F3567-8425-41C1-886F-8ACF9AF41F0F.jpeg
    533F3567-8425-41C1-886F-8ACF9AF41F0F.jpeg
    426.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

The Guide

WKR
My little man got his first antelope today. Been watching this group of antelope since the start of the season. Finally moved off private onto public this afternoon. We crawled up the fence line and got to 440 yards before we were pinned down in the open. We did a series of dry firing to calm nerves (I think I was more jittery than him) and get ready for the shot. We had been practicing on steel all summer at extended ranges so he was comfortable with the shot. He had to stop and put the rifle on safety several times due to the buck turning several times while feeding to get a broadside shot.

At the crack of the shot, the buck dropped his head and took 2 wobbly steps forward. During our practicing we had drilled to watch for impact, work the bolt, and take a second shot if it is available. He had already worked the bolt, chambering another round, and was back on the buck. He told me he was back on the buck and I told him to send it. At the shot, the buck collapsed. High fives and hugs were shared before he ran back to the truck to get his sister and the game sled. When we approached the buck we found that his first and second shot we inches apart.

Tikka 6.5 PRC (I got from @NSI ) in a KRG Bravo Chassis with a Trijicon Credo 2.5x15 in Unknown Munitions Tikka rings with the Unknown Munitions Tikka rail bubble level on a Harris bipod shooting Barnes 127 grain LRX loaded ammo with an @Unknown Munitions Molinator shooting bag.

Jay

20231014_144255.jpg

Last edited:
10-06-23 first day hunting 3: 15 p.m. looked all day at antelope nothing interesting, met my hunting buddy at a small corral we use as a location point, he asks me where I was going to next told him straight out an old fence line towards a power line and sit down until it got too dark to shoot, been stomping around the prairie all day and was going to take a break got where I wanted to go set up towards the power line and decided to call the boss lady back east and see how she and the lab was doing, While talking to her at about 300 yards two smallish bucks was messing around, I look down the line and at 620 some yards here comes Mr. Antelope could tell this was a good goat even at that distance, told her I had to hang up and would call her back in a bit. Set up the rifle Remington 700 LSS on the pack for a rest got into position and waited the Antelope closed the distance to 415 yards and I decided I would kill him. One shot DRT 300 Win. Mag. 180gr. Hornady SST hand load out of Ken Watters pet loads Manuel. He was exactly what I was looking for height, mass good cutters nice turn in and ivory tips. His head was left with Winterland taxidermy in Sheridan Wyoming for a Euro mount. Good luck to those still hunting. Had a steak out of him last night fine eating.

Last edited:
IMG_0793.jpeg
Finally connected on my first buck with the fresh snow on the ground here in MT. 283yd shot, only made it about 59 yds before he tipped over. Crazy critters!
Gun: Browning Hells Canyon Speed
Caliber: 30-06
Bullet: 180gr Barnes TTSX
Powder: 46.7gr IMR 4064

Attachments

• IMG_0784.jpeg
    IMG_0784.jpeg
    317.6 KB · Views: 60
Taken October 21st in southwest Montana. First ever antelope tag for me. Don’t know much about them but super fun hunt. Any guesses on what he scored?
Awesome first buck, congrats! Crazy critters for sure. Scoring speed goats can get funky depending on if the third mass measurement falls below the cutter, it gets a little more nuanced between B&C and SCI. That said, your bucks cutters appear to sit pretty high with could swing him a few extra inches. I would guess him in the low 70s if not right around 70". Thanks for sharing!