2023 Cold Bow Challenge Q&A Thread

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
No pressure but the Cold Bow is nearing the drawing contestants cutoff of 100 shooters

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

cjdewese

WKR
Got a good shot in today. Felt good from the drawback to a steady hold and a nice relaxed release. Dead DeerDay 2 CBC.jpg

KBC

WKR
I think if I’m understanding you, you’re missing one of the critical rules of the CBC. You have to pick one max yardage and shoot that. Are you changing yardages every day?

The Cold Bow Challenge is uniform across the board, so it's easier for other shooters to relate to your setup and daily condition changes, but mostly so the rules can be administered equally.

You'll need to pick a Maximum Effective Range and declare it in your first post. Then, ALL 5 shots will be the same so they can be compared as a group.

I think your current way is excellent practice but doesn't meet the challenge criteria, unfortunately. As you have shot at 47 and 44 yards, you'll need to restart at your MER

Although I’ve shot two different distances, I thought I was pretty clear that they were both at my max range in those situations. One uphill and one downhill. I can go back to the 70 yards on a flat field I did last year but I don’t think it’s an accurate indication of actual hunting situations. In perfect flat conditions I’m shooting way further than if I’m on the side of a steep hill.

Edit: line of sight both shots have been within about half a yard, angle compensation shaves a few yards off the second one.

If I have to restart, I won’t be able to do it until at least Sunday, I’m teaching archery on Saturday and was going to take shot 5 before that started.
I guess this is too much to keep track of so if I fail to meet it, delete my post and give the spot to someone else. It’s not fair to hold it until I can start again on Sunday.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Although I’ve shot two different distances, I thought I was pretty clear that they were both at my max range in those situations. One uphill and one downhill. I can go back to the 70 yards on a flat field I did last year but I don’t think it’s an accurate indication of actual hunting situations. In perfect flat conditions I’m shooting way further than if I’m on the side of a steep hill.

Edit: line of sight both shots have been within about half a yard, angle compensation shaves a few yards off the second one.

If I have to restart, I won’t be able to do it until at least Sunday, I’m teaching archery on Saturday and was going to take shot 5 before that started.
I guess this is too much to keep track of so if I fail to meet it, delete my post and give the spot to someone else. It’s not fair to hold it until I can start again on Sunday.
I understand what your doing and once again agree this is excellent practice, but that's not how the Cold Bow Challenge is designed.

The purpose is to show case how changing daily conditions and lack of practice even over a period as short as 5 days will affect your shooting. This is obviously amplified as the distance grows which is why Maximum Effective Range is specified.

This is a personal reinforcement of our own boundaries but also a learning tool for those perhaps less experienced watching from the side lines to see what changing conditions can do down range to even very good archers. That's why we ask contestants to list the shooting conditions at the time of the shot.

KBC

WKR
I think I’m doing pretty good showcasing changing daily conditions but if I don’t meet it, then I can’t hold a spot from someone else. If there isn’t 100 by the time I can restart on Sunday I’ll start over, if there’s 100 then I’m out.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

too much to process in my little mind

Tell us this:

1) How many arrows have you shot over how many days?

2) at what distance was each arrow fired?

this will help us decide if you need to restart totally, or pick up where you left off.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well…

the good news is that I just climbed back up to 50% with my 4th arrow.

But the bad news is that I’m at 50% :cry::cry:

Post #4 on the CBC if you wanna see

TX_Diver

WKR
Well…

the good news is that I just climbed back up to 50% with my 4th arrow.

But the bad news is that I’m at 50% :cry::cry:

Post #4 on the CBC if you wanna see

The edit feature is gone on the thread FYI.

I'm 4/8 so far... We'll see how I finish this up this evening! It's finally warm and not windy!!

KBC

WKR
too much to process in my little mind

Tell us this:

1) How many arrows have you shot over how many days?

2) at what distance was each arrow fired?

this will help us decide if you need to restart totally, or pick up where you left off.

I’ve shot two different shots, each at my MER in those situations. I don’t see where it says you need to make the same shot 5 days in a row.

I’ve wasted enough of everyone’s time on this, if I’m good to continue, I will keep taking shots in different situations at my MER in each of those situations. If I’m not good to continue, delete my post and give the spot to someone else. I can’t restart until Sunday.
Thanks!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve shot two different shots, each at my MER in those situations. I don’t see where it says you need to make the same shot 5 days in a row.

I’ve wasted enough of everyone’s time on this, if I’m good to continue, I will keep taking shots in different situations at my MER in each of those situations. If I’m not good to continue, delete my post and give the spot to someone else. I can’t restart until Sunday.
Thanks!
Hey Rokslide brother, I don’t wanna split hairs with you but in 7 years, everyone has understood that MER is a fixed distance:

2) Call the range that you think is your REALISTIC maximum effective range (MER). You must shoot your personal MER, …

3) With no warm up shots, shoot one arrow at your MER (you do NOT have to shoot 5 days consecutively, but there is NO PRACTICE between shooting days.)

We’re not kicking you out, but since your arrows (if I understand) were not shot at same distance, you’d need to restart the challenge.

We’re happy to leave your post up until you get back from the weekend, as you made the entry deadline. Not trying to run you off and hope you stay.

Let us know

Thanks!

@robby denning and @realunlucky the locking of the thread has made edit's impossible. Till the thread is at least editable I'm just gonna post my days 5/3 here and wait.

Day 5 with wheels was a win. Learned a ton through this challenge about how to make a good shot after a long hold (timed it out of curiosity and from draw to execution with a 30 Mississippi count, total time was 1 minute) I'm honestly feeling like I've improved enough with this that I'd like to retest the same sequence with wheels ten yards further out after this is done.

IMG_3229.jpg

Day 3 with Trad was... not a win. No lessons to be learned here except that trad is hard, and harder when you don't practice daily.
IMG_3230.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning and @realunlucky the locking of the thread has made edit's impossible. Till the thread is at least editable I'm just gonna post my days 5/3 here and wait.

Day 5 with wheels was a win. Learned a ton through this challenge about how to make a good shot after a long hold (timed it out of curiosity and from draw to execution with a 30 Mississippi count, total time was 1 minute) I'm honestly feeling like I've improved enough with this that I'd like to retest the same sequence with wheels ten yards further out after this is done.

View attachment 550034

Day 3 with Trad was... not a win. No lessons to be learned here except that trad is hard, and harder when you don't practice daily.
View attachment 550035
OOOPS! It's back open.

copy paste all this over there. You might have to re-upload your photo.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, more than several shooters are done on day five. Wish I was! I hate this challenge!!!!

This is where the scrolling fun begins.

Go check out everyone's posts now.

i didn't calculate it, but to page 4, seems the normal is people (including this one) overestimating their MER.

and its' fun to read the comments (and a few excuses lol)

A couple notables...

page 1, the arrow sticking in the table leg cracked me up @TX_Diver

and page 2, @CM you got a great group going for a 70 MER. Only one arrow to go (no pressure hahahha)

and page 4, @ResearchinStuff had to restart the challenge after a squirrel walked out on the range--who could resist that?

I like the ballons guys are shooting. Great idea!

Can't wait to check out the rest of the entries.

KBC

WKR
Hey Rokslide brother, I don’t wanna split hairs with you but in 7 years, everyone has understood that MER is a fixed distance:
2) Call the range that you think is your REALISTIC maximum effective range (MER). You must shoot your personal MER, …

3) With no warm up shots, shoot one arrow at your MER (you do NOT have to shoot 5 days consecutively, but there is NO PRACTICE between shooting days.)

We’re not kicking you out, but since your arrows (if I understand) were not shot at same distance, you’d need to restart the challenge.

We’re happy to leave your post up until you get back from the weekend, as you made the entry deadline. Not trying to run you off and hope you stay.

Let us know

Thanks!
I appreciate the offer to leave it up but good luck to whoever takes my spot.

CM

WKR
Wow, more than several shooters are done on day five. Wish I was! I hate this challenge!!!!

This is where the scrolling fun begins.

Go check out everyone's posts now.

i didn't calculate it, but to page 4, seems the normal is people (including this one) overestimating their MER.

and its' fun to read the comments (and a few excuses lol)

A couple notables...

page 1, the arrow sticking in the table leg cracked me up @TX_Diver

and page 2, @CM you got a great group going for a 70 MER. Only one arrow to go (no pressure hahahha)

and page 4, @ResearchinStuff had to restart the challenge after a squirrel walked out on the range--who could resist that?

I like the ballons guys are shooting. Great idea!

Can't wait to check out the rest of the entries.
@robby denning , I don't need any more pressure :ROFLMAO: Usually at this point of the Cold Bow Challenge I am just trying to salvage a little dignity :ROFLMAO:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
@CM
de94dcc9bd4c50dd81c4c13a1271ed1c.jpg