2023 Goat on Kodiak

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
I see a five year old goat. Definitely not 3.5
Ok. Outfitter put 3 on the hunt report card as well. His goat being longer and bigger bases than mine at the same age did have me wondering. Here’s another pic he sent me. This is the 8 3/4” long goat with 5 2/8 bases, not mine. It’s the first goat in the pics in daylight in my report.

Attachments

• IMG_9062.jpeg
    IMG_9062.jpeg
    676.7 KB · Views: 40

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
Ok. Outfitter put 3 on the hunt report card as well. His goat being longer and bigger bases than mine at the same age did have me wondering. Here’s another pic he sent me. This is the 8 3/4” long goat with 5 2/8 bases, not mine. It’s the first goat in the pics in daylight in my report.
Looking at the rings, the bigger goat is at least 4.5. It's obviously older than the smaller goat.

I now agree with @Antares, your goat is likely 3.5

Last edited:

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
@Antares I'm curious. Do you see the same from the other angle? The size discrepancy between the goats has me wondering.

Goat Age.JPG

Last edited:

Antares

WKR
Pictures are hard. I still think 3.5 yo on this. What you have labeled as "4" may be a false annulus. It's hard to tell without being able to follow it all the way around the horn. It's placement is closer to the previous annulus than I would expect.

Here's a 2.5 yo from the same angle for reference. One annulus + the bottom edge = 2.5 yo.

There looks to be a second annulus there, but it's false. The age of 2.5 yo is corroborated by the tooth eruption pattern.

1697052858206.png
1697068078085.png

Last edited:

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
Ha! I don't know... starting to look like 2.5 yo from that angle...

Here's a 2.5 yo from the same angle for reference.
LOL!! I see 3.5 on this one! WTF?

Isn't the tip section to the first defined ring 2 years?

Ehhh... Whatever. 🤣 Congrats on your goats @ttmannan

Last edited:

Antares

WKR
Isn't the tip section to the first defined ring 2 years?

Yes and no. It's the second winter and marks 1.5 years of age. The age-naming convention is a little weird and I'm not explaining it well.

When I'm counting, I skip the first annulus (which is 0.5 yo; the first winter; it usually gets worn away in older goats) and starting counting with the second annulus (usually the most obvious (1.5 yo)). Count all the annuli, plus the bottom edge. So in my example above, I count 1 annulus and the bottom edge, for a final age of 2.5 yo. ADF&G would record that goat as 2 yo, because its in the second year of its life (it wouldn't have turned 3 until the following spring). Again, I like the half-year convention because it's more precise, that animal was 2.5 yo (plus minus a few months) when it died.

Here's another example. A nanny. I would call this 8.5 yo (seven annuli + the bottom edge). ADF&G would record it as 8 yo.

1697054827587.png

1697054813779.png

Last edited:

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info @Antares.

I understand it the way it is explained here. The tip section down to the first distinct annulus is 2 years, perhaps minus a month.

Screenshot_20231010_211344_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

Antares

WKR
Thanks for the info @Antares.

I understand it the way it is explained here. The tip section down to the first distinct annulus is 2 years, perhaps minus a month.

View attachment 612833

I agree with you, the image from you shared from Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance explains it well. I will edit my above post to avoid confusion.

Below is how I count and it gets me to the same age. Seven annuli + bottom edge = 8.5 yo.

1697067192122.png

Last edited:

Antares

WKR
I do not believe that low probability equates to irresponsible unless there is a chance to wound and lose an animal.

A lower probability of a good shot equates to a higher probability of a bad shot.

Bad shots result in more wounding than good shots.

Therefore, low probability shots result in a higher chance of wounding.

Where's the fault in that logic?

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up and pics. Huge congrats on your goat. I was on a Kodiak island deer hunt last nov off the south side of the island. Rugged and steep Country.

Nice work!

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
looks like an awesome hunt Congrats!!! Would you mind sharing the outfitter you went with as this is on my bucket list

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks @JoeB and @Falcon! It was a great hunt.
@JoeB, I went with Sam Rohrer as the outfitter. Rohrer Bear Camp. Great guys and a hard working crew. I'd be happy to answer any questions about them, the process, gear etc.