2024 Elk Hunt Gear

Take snacks you actually enjoy eating. I found on my first backcountry hunt 3 years ago, that I wanted to pack food that met weight and calorie goals but I prioritized taste third. I now do the opposite, within reason. When you are sitting out there glassing for hours on end, or during times the going gets tough, its really nice to be able to snack on something tasty. I've found that simple change makes a huge different in my attitude and ability to keep going when you start to lose emotional steam.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
Not a must have and It will cost you a pound of weight, but having a good place to sit is really important to me being in my 60's. I have the REI Flexlite Air chair and I'm happy with it. Saline nose spray is a must for me anymore, especially with all the fires anymore in early September. Really helps getting all the smoke boogers out of your nose so you can sleep at night.

Fortboy22

FNG
In my opinion, there's a lot that you can do without on a backcountry hunt, but also a lot of small things that can make the experience more enjoyable. Outside of all the normal necessities, a couple "must have extras" for me; duck tape or gear tape, bow repair tool, boot gaiters, lightweight puffy layer, extra elk call or two, Sawyer mini water filter to keep in your pack, and small battery bank (maybe small solar panel to recharge, especially if your phone is your GPS/map). There's probably a million more, but these are the first things that pop into my head outside of some items already listed.

Elk97

WKR
Most everything has been mentioned but I didn't see wind checker. I carry two of the little bottles (smoke in a bottle). Several mouth reeds and bugle, cow call. Sidearm if in griz country.

Kill kit, and a good pack to haul meat. Regular backpack won't cut it. There's a lot of great packs out.

Gapmaster

WKR
There’s a recent thread on here right now. ‘feedback on backcountry elk loadout”. Read it. Then search all the other threads similar to yours. Ignore the smartass comments and really think about the information that’s there. Tons of experience and knowledge on your question already readily available. That search option on this site is invaluable.

gringo76

FNG
Here are some elk hunt gear list.

Clothes, Boots (danner pronghorns 400g) + maybe sneakers - I've heard sneakers can be useful if you're trying to quietly stalk. Merino Wool Socks - 2-3 pairs. Boxer briefs - a few pairs. Firstlite aerowool 3/4 pant. Need outer pants, maybe Nomad All season on amazon. Firstlite aerowool quarter zip top or Firstlite chama hoody.

Still need light rain jacket - looking at columbia watertight II. Hat - baseball or beanie. Gloves. Bow/arrows. Lifestraw. Water purification tabs. Binos. First aid kit. Knives. GPS on phone + batteries. Calls. Headlamp/flashlight. Range finder. Orange marking tape and License/tags.

bz_711

WKR
In Backpack
Phone / Compass / Calls
Radio / ZOLEO
Tags / Wallet / Release
Water / Food / water filter (purifiers)
Knives / Sharpener / Game Bags
Walking sticks
Glock (bearspray?)
Rain Gear
Jacket or vest / Puffy / Socks
Rope / duct tape / zip ties
Headlamps / batteries / charger&cord
flint / lighter / first aid / pain relief
chapstick / wipes
Small tripod
first aid / poncho / emergency blanket
latex gloves / cut-proof glove
bow kit (allens,D-loop,peeptube,fieldtip)
gloves / stocking hat
rangefinder (battery)
trash bags / tyvek

Couple things I wouldnt leave without:

1. A gravity water filter system (MSR Drom "dirty" 10L, inline sawyer mini, "clean" 3L camelback)

2. Nalgene for mixed drinks (energy powders, pedialyte at the end fo the day)

3. Solid plan to dry out boots

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
I second the chapstick or carmex. When it is super dry, I used it in my nose to keep it somewhat moist and reduce nosebleeds.