2024 Mystery Ranch Hunting Packs

S.Clancy

WKR
That is the smartest thing they could have done. The Metcalf is by far their best bag configuration, but it is a weird size, big enough where it is not really a day pack, small enough where most guys can't get more than a weekend-ish out of it. It is also a no brainer to cut some weight off that frame and offer bigger bag sizes. I really like MR, their frames just do not fit me or I would prob buy one of those new Metcalfs

1javelin

FNG
They need to work on getting the waist belt to remain on the waist, and add attachments with adjustments for the frame/belt attachment so someone can roll the back of the belt over the hips more to grab the rear of the bone.

X

My favorite design is the terraplane which is a metcalf with two external rear pockets.

i would like to see one of those new frames in the wild.

tony

WKR
Sportsman's Warehouse has the terraframes at the cheapest I've seen them
I picked up a 65 for $285.00
Gear Fools off off you tube has a shop, and sells MR. They really hammered them in their review. Which while an honest unbiased opinion, boy I bet that pissed MR off.

Wonder if the new bags will fit the current GL frame?

OP
L

lavashine

FNG
i would like to see one of those new frames in the wild.
No kidding - we saw the K4 for a year online and I caught one in the wild in that time... I haven't seen or heard anything about this new frame otherwise. Who is testing MR's new stuff?

Sportsman's Warehouse has the terraframes at the cheapest I've seen them
I picked up a 65 for $285.00
Gear Fools off off you tube has a shop, and sells MR. They really hammered them in their review. Which while an honest unbiased opinion, boy I bet that pissed MR off.

Wonder if the new bags will fit the current GL frame?
That’s a great deal. I run a terraframe 80 and have a pintler for lighter trips. Definitely the cheapest way to get the guidelight MT frame.

reading the description of the frame, it sounds like they made some prett substantial changes and switched up their buckles again. It mentions G hooks, narrow webbing and some other hardware. I imagine they will make something like an adaptor so they are compatible.

Last edited:

tony

WKR
Hopefully, but then again they will want to sell you a new pack.
Noticed the move to a one piece waist belt on the new frame.

Yeah, wonder who and how they tested these?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Once they left backwards compatibility in the dust on me, I was pretty well done with them.

Those weight numbers look good for MR, hoping they keep developing stuff like this with their hunting line.

tony

WKR
Once they left backwards compatibility in the dust on me, I was pretty well done with them.

Those weight numbers look good for MR, hoping they keep developing stuff like this with their hunting line.
Yeah, my uses are mostly backpacking, I'll pick up the pintler next time camo fire has them on clearance.
I have a strong feeling those new bags won't mate to the GL frame

TheTone

WKR
Hopefully, but then again they will want to sell you a new pack.
Noticed the move to a one piece waist belt on the new frame.

Yeah, wonder who and how they tested these?
I think they had a one piece belt on the original guide lights before going back to a multi piece belt on the current guide lite MT frame.

I’m kinda interested in these; I’ve always liked MR packs since buying a nice frame in 2008 and a few others over the years

Looking through the catalog posted in the OP, it looks like they are discontinuing every hunting pack that they have now? Interesting. I'd say that confirms that the new frame will not work with the old bags, at least without a mod.

Are they getting out of making hunting packs?

I looked through the catalog. Looked like lots of man bags, briefcase/purse combo, hand bags ect.

I think 2 pages out of the entire 24 page catalog had “backpacking “ type packs. But even those had strange descriptions referencing big cities.

Now that I clicked on the link, I’m wondering if that was even a real link to mystery ranch?

The whole thing is full of super hipsters, travel bags ect.

looking through it all I could think of is they need Budlight beer holders on all the bags😂

Hopefully that link was to mystery ranch and not a scam to a website virus or something.

BDRam16

WKR
Now that I clicked on the link, I’m wondering if that was even a real link to mystery ranch?

The whole thing is full of super hipsters, travel bags ect.

looking through it all I could think of is they need Budlight beer holders on all the bags😂

Hopefully that link was to mystery ranch and not a scam to a website virus or something.
You clicked on the wrong catalog lol. There’s 24 pages of hunting in the one labeled “HUNT” haha

BDRam16

WKR
Ran a Metcalf for two seasons so far. Looks like they TRIED to address my main issue but did a poor job of it. The pack needs a higher load shelf like the Stone Glacier. It says they moved the mounting point up, but the way it uses the extra material of the bag will still result in it riding low. That’s my main complaint because it constantly feels like you have to hike the whole pack up as the weight sags you down. I’m actually currently DIY’ing a SG style meatshelf into my MR frame.

My other main issue is the lid. If you don’t have the Metcalf fairly full, the lid turns more into an accessory bag on the back and not an actual lid. Last season I spike camped and the Metcalf compressed down to a day pack just fine minus using the lid. Would rather both attachment points be near the top of the bag as opposed to the bottom straps running all the way down as compression straps if that makes sense.

Last edited:

tony

WKR