2024 NRL Hunter schedule

id_jon

WKR
For those who have shot one of these before, what does it take to be competitive/not
look like a fool. I’ve got a new hunting rifle on the way that I’d love to bring to one of these matches near me, but I’ve never done a competition like this and I’m not sure if there’s enough time between now and then to acquire the necessary skills.

Practice deploying your gear til you can do it blindfolded and you'll be way ahead. But also the best way to know how to get better is to just go to a match, don't worry about if you're ready or not.

OP
kharb22

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
For those who have shot one of these before, what does it take to be competitive/not
look like a fool. I’ve got a new hunting rifle on the way that I’d love to bring to one of these matches near me, but I’ve never done a competition like this and I’m not sure if there’s enough time between now and then to acquire the necessary skills.

I would suggest shooting some Hunter one matches if you can find them around your area. If you have any PRS experience, it does help with positional shooting and tripod use. Another option is to shoot the skills division. This allows you to shoot the match with as much or as little help as you would like. Based off the forum name, are you thinking about shooting the Missouri match?

Whitey375

FNG
Don't wait. Just go. Obviously, you want a solid zero and data on the rifle and combo, but that's all you need. There's a lady that was going to the PRS matches at COSSA with a Proof Elevation in 6.5 to try and get ready for a sheep hunt. Lots of the dudes initially scoffed at her when they heard her setup, but they ALL ended up helping her. Just go into it with the attitude of trying to learn, and you'll be fine. When you miss, and it'll be a bunch, the trick is to figure it why. Same with hits. Go, learn, be safe, and enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest shooting some Hunter one matches if you can find them around your area. If you have any PRS experience, it does help with positional shooting and tripod use. Another option is to shoot the skills division. This allows you to shoot the match with as much or as little help as you would like. Based off the forum name, are you thinking about shooting the Missouri match?
Yep, I live around 30 minutes from where the match will be so I think I’ll likely try that one. Unfortunately, I’ve never shot any sort of match before so can’t lean on prior experience.
Don't wait. Just go. Obviously, you want a solid zero and data on the rifle and combo, but that's all you need. There's a lady that was going to the PRS matches at COSSA with a Proof Elevation in 6.5 to try and get ready for a sheep hunt. Lots of the dudes initially scoffed at her when they heard her setup, but they ALL ended up helping her. Just go into it with the attitude of trying to learn, and you'll be fine. When you miss, and it'll be a bunch, the trick is to figure it why. Same with hits. Go, learn, be safe, and enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
That was my thought, but there’s a certain level of competency with most things that below which you’re just wasting time and money. I’m still in school so I’m on a really limited budget. I want to make sure that I’m not wasting said budget.

Lawnboi

WKR
Yep, I live around 30 minutes from where the match will be so I think I’ll likely try that one. Unfortunately, I’ve never shot any sort of match before so can’t lean on prior experience.

That was my thought, but there’s a certain level of competency with most things that below which you’re just wasting time and money. I’m still in school so I’m on a really limited budget. I want to make sure that I’m not wasting said budget.

If you’re on a budget and have never shot any kind of match before you can go shoot skills division and get help on the clock, along with save a few bucks.

Unless you’re up to speed on quickly building a solid position not in prone I’d reccomend shooting skills. I think you will learn more.

Don’t be shy, we all got our butts kicked at our first match.

grfox92

WKR
So the Gunwerks Sheep Mountain shootout I might be interested in attending.

The NRL website is essentially useless, as I can't even find a brief explanation of they matches entail.

Can someone give me some cliff notes on what my proficiency should be to even be able to shoot this match? Range? Target size? Shooting steel? Kestrel?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

id_jon

WKR
So the Gunwerks Sheep Mountain shootout I might be interested in attending.

The NRL website is essentially useless, as I can't even find a brief explanation of they matches entail.

Can someone give me some cliff notes on what my proficiency should be to even be able to shoot this match? Range? Target size? Shooting steel? Kestrel?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
They still have the match page for last years up, it has some more info. https://nrlhunter.org/matches-2023/23-16/

If you can shoot 2-3moa positional, you'll be fine. Ranges are mostly 4-700 usually, maybe a stage or two in the 850-1000 range. Target size is usually 2-4moa I think, steel plates. Bring a kestrel if you have it, but don't expect to have time to use it on the clock.

OP
kharb22

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the schedule for the Idaho match. No chrono or weight on Friday. it'll all be done on Saturday morning. Shooting starts at 1100. Shooting a little longer into Saturday evening, but it could save me a day off work Friday.

Lawnboi

WKR
Check out the schedule for the Idaho match. No chrono or weight on Friday. it'll all be done on Saturday morning. Shooting starts at 1100. Shooting a little longer into Saturday evening, but it could save me a day off work Friday.

I like it. Wish they would adopt a late start option to show up a little early. While still keeping it a 3 day even for people who have the time.

Hopefully that spreads.

Gonna shoot a couple one days this spring. Won’t make it to the range much more this spring but can do some DFAT sessions in the basement pretty easily. Anything the experienced guys would recommend a newby focus on in regards to practice building positions at home?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Gonna shoot a couple one days this spring. Won’t make it to the range much more this spring but can do some DFAT sessions in the basement pretty easily. Anything the experienced guys would recommend a newby focus on in regards to practice building positions at home?

High kneeling and kneeling. And, practice using a tripod as rear support.

The hardest is spotting the plates, ranging, and then the transition to shooting. Just like my practice for hunting, I am practicing going from tripod strapped on my pack to ranging and then building a position.

Jimbee

WKR
Iowa match in Decorah, Iowa this Saturday. Forecast calls for winds WNW 20-30mph with higher gusts.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Burris in Southern CO this weekend….smells like snow! Winds will be “gentle” at least.

ID_Matt

WKR
What @hereinaz said is good advice. I have shot these 2 day matches at 5 or so different locations now and each one is a bit different. Everyone sees a stage differently. My mindset has always been to look for the position I can get lowest to the ground (prone) and then work up. Tripod practice helps quite a bit because it can bail you out of a bad position pretty easily. You should already have your tripod mostly deployed so tripod rear is beneficial a lot of the time. Other than that, the standard high and low kneeling. Having a good balanced gun helps a ton with that.

Outside of positional shooting, gear management is HUGE for saving time.