2024 Wyoming Draw thread

Jethro

WKR
Wow, the high tag price for special really didn't buy you a lot in some cases. A lot of the limited entry tags went lower with regular price. And the west general is still only .5% difference.
It bought you pretty much if you were trying to draw a general tag in the random draw.

No draw for any of us, wife with 4 points S gen, myself swung for random in LE unit and missed second draw for full price tag, whole group blanked on reduced cow tags. Kinda disappointed nobody got anything at all.

Region W - Preference - 100% with 5 pts (0% 4 or less)
Region W - Special - 91.56% with 4 pts

Region E - Preference - 100% with 5 pts (0% 4 or less)
Region E - Special - 100% with 3 pts (86.36% less than 3)

Region S - Preference - 92.88% with 5 pts (0% less than 5)
Region S - Special - 100% with 8 pts

I feel good going in with 6 next year. I actually thought you'd need 6 in the preference this year and 4 in the special, creep wasn't as bad as I expected!
It will change next year though, people will use the stats for strategy. I'll have 6 next year myself, wanted to sit out and see where the dust settles. I figured West would be easier to draw than S but that could change next year if people see that and shift apps.

HuntandFly

Lil-Rokslider
Region W - Preference - 100% with 5 pts (0% 4 or less)
Region W - Special - 91.56% with 4 pts

Region E - Preference - 100% with 5 pts (0% 4 or less)
Region E - Special - 100% with 3 pts (86.36% less than 3)

Region S - Preference - 92.88% with 5 pts (0% less than 5)
Region S - Special - 100% with 8 pts

I feel good going in with 6 next year. I actually thought you'd need 6 in the preference this year and 4 in the special, creep wasn't as bad as I expected!
Mostly correct, except Region S special was 100% with 2 points, not 8

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just glad I will never be in the NR WY draw again after this year! :) They can keep my 2 elk points. Now I just have to figure out what to use my 14 deer points on before they disappear.

jahaze

FNG
I drew a cow tag in 116, surprised how many applied for what is largely a private land unit. Planning on going after a bull tag with 6-pts next year (area W)....this years draw odds give me hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harge57

Lil-Rokslider
So if me and my two buddies averaged 4.66 points (two of us had 5 points and one had 4 points), then we could have drawn from this pool that’s less than 5 but more than 4? Am I reading this correctly? Or did we draw random most likely?
You likely drew in preference point draw. Anything above 4.5 was likely 100%.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Heard from two guys that had 4.5 points, put in for a special west general and didn't draw.. How's that work? Shouldn't anyone with 4+ draw, since 90 some percent of 4 pointers did?

HuntandFly

Lil-Rokslider
Heard from two guys that had 4.5 points, put in for a special west general and didn't draw.. How's that work? Shouldn't anyone with 4+ draw, since 90 some percent of 4 pointers did?
There is a common misconception with folks that think they get their current points +1 for this years application. Not saying that’s the issue here, but it is possible.

You do not get a point with your current year application, meaning the points you had at the end of 2023 are the points you have for this draw

jhoff04

FNG
Even got skunked on my cow tags this year. Massive increase in people applying for the cow tags, at least in some units. Disappointing but I guess i still have the antelope draw to ruin another day for me lol
Same for me and I noticed that too for the area we apply for. Twice as many applicants for the special type 1 (surprising for the increase in prices). And 2+ years ago you had a 50/50 chance on getting a 2nd choice cow tag at reg price almost every year. Not a single person got a 2nd choice cow tag this year... all went to first choice type 4.