2025 Montana elk

rexy18

FNG
A group of us are looking at a couple outfitters for Montana elk/deer combo in 2025. One outfitter is mainly hunting the bitterroot area and the other is more central Montana in the snowy units. Any advice? I've seen in the past that the wolves did a number on the elk in the bitterroot area. Is that still the case today? Thanks for any input

Probably not a problem with outfitters but better access in Bitterroots. Hardly any access in Little Snowies, some in Big Snowies.

The entire point of going with an Outfitter with a general tag in MT is to get access to landlocked USFS ground via private… Snowies, Crazy’s, Big and Little Belts.

If you go to the Bitterroot, you’ll park at the exact same trailhead or gated road as every other guy from Missoula and Ravalli Co does. Only difference is that you’ll be an hour and a half later than the other guys because the rhinestone cowboy guide cooked you bacon and eggs at their lodge and told you that you need to glass your way in after daylight.

Definitely the Snowies. If you hunt in the Bitterroot you will likely be hunting for raghorns. Great access but a lot of hunting pressure. Yes, some nice bulls come out of the bitterroot’s but others areas of the state have much better opportunities to fill the freezer and have a chance at a mature bull.

Not sure if you’re planning on archery or rifle hunting and if you’re wanting to hunt bulls, but rifle permit in the Snowy’s will be a tough draw without a decent amount of bonus points as a NR. If you’re after a cow though and have the access to private land then it should be a good spot.

Not sure if you’re planning on archery or rifle hunting and if you’re wanting to hunt bulls, but rifle permit in the Snowy’s will be a tough draw without a decent amount of bonus points as a NR. If you’re after a cow though and have the access to private land then it should be a good spot.
It would be late season rifle. The outfitter seems confident we would draw with 3 points

It would be late season rifle. The outfitter seems confident we would draw with 3 points
You will draw the big game combo with 3 preference points and be able to shoot a cow or spike. If you’re planning on hunting bulls, 3 bonus points was only 6% for the rifle permit this year…not sure how confident I’d be in drawing that.

You will draw the big game combo with 3 preference points and be able to shoot a cow or spike. If you’re planning on hunting bulls, 3 bonus points was only 6% for the rifle permit this year…not sure how confident I’d be in drawing that.
Is that specific for the snowy unit or state wide. I've been trying to navigate the fwp site, and it's a little confusing regarding the big game combo plus permits, etc. I could find any restrictions on the permits except for the B permit

Is that specific for the snowy unit or state wide. I've been trying to navigate the fwp site, and it's a little confusing regarding the big game combo plus permits, etc. I could find any restrictions on the permits except for the B permit
To hunt bulls in rifle season in the Snowies you need to draw an either sex rifle permit. In order to do that, you also need to draw the Big Game Combo. Preference points are for the combo tags. Bonus points are for permits. The max preference points someone can have is 3 so you’d be guaranteed to draw the Big game combo. Each unit then has its own rules for elk and deer hunting, you either need a permit or you can just use your general BGC. If you look at 411 in the regs, with your general tag (BGC) you can shoot a cow or spike. Then you’ll see a line for the 411-20 permit that would allow you to shoot a bull there. To draw the 411-20 permit as a non res assuming you also have 3 bonus points, was 6% successful this year. I’m not sure what units the Bitterroot’s are, 260-270, but look at the regs and see what you can hunt with a general elk tag and if a permit is needed for a bull. If I recall I think if you need a permit it’s 100% odds to draw there.

To hunt bulls in rifle season in the Snowies you need to draw an either sex rifle permit. In order to do that, you also need to draw the Big Game Combo. Preference points are for the combo tags. Bonus points are for permits. The max preference points someone can have is 3 so you’d be guaranteed to draw the Big game combo. Each unit then has its own rules for elk and deer hunting, you either need a permit or you can just use your general BGC. If you look at 411 in the regs, with your general tag (BGC) you can shoot a cow or spike. Then you’ll see a line for the 411-20 permit that would allow you to shoot a bull there. To draw the 411-20 permit as a non res assuming you also have 3 bonus points, was 6% successful this year. I’m not sure what units the Bitterroot’s are, 260-270, but look at the regs and see what you can hunt with a general elk tag and if a permit is needed for a bull. If I recall I think if you need a permit it’s 100% odds to draw there.
Thank you, I appreciate the information

Back