208 eld match for deer and elk?

Teaman1

WKR
Any on game experiences with this bullet?
I’ve found a few posts on it online, but looking for a little more info to persuade me to try it.
Plan to try it on hunts with longer shot opportunity, I have other rifles for more traditional range hunting so this would be more of a specialty hunting load for me.

B23

WKR
If you don't find the info you're looking for maybe try looking up info on the 208 A-max. I'm pretty sure they're essentially the same bullet just with a new name and heat shield tip. At further distances is where I think they really shine because they still expand well at slower velocities.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Thanks for the response, think I just need to load some up and go hunting. I’m really struggling talking myself into using “target” bullets for hunting haha. I typically shoot the white tip accubond, but have heard some people talk about slow wounding at longer ranges with those bullets

I only have 1 data point. Blacktail deer at just under 200 quartering away hard. 300wm pushing the 208 around 2950. Went in the rear quarter and came out the chest. Exit wound was slightly smaller than a baseball. Would have no qualms over using that bullet again.

They're absolutely excellent, don't worry about it at all.
I hunted with them for several years out of a 300 WSM at 2900 fps. Kills from 200-1170 yards that included elk, mule & whitetail deer, coues deer and bears. Awesome wound channels and consistent penetration on everything.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

huntnful

WKR
They’re badass, and normally shoot extremely well with ease. Don’t hesitate to load them and go kill stuff with them. Especially at those intended yardages.

Lowemac

FNG
Over the last few years I have personally taken deer with both the ELD-M and the ELD-X, and can tell absolutely zero difference in the performance of the two bullets. They both seem to penetrate 2-4 inches and then violently upset leaving devastating wounds.

As long as the bullet is reaching the target with enough velocity to upset, I would have absolutely no issue with using it on game.

B23

WKR
I’m really struggling talking myself into using “target” bullets for hunting haha.
Are you familiar with what Ryan Avery and some of the other RokSlide guys have renamed the Hornady ELD-M bullets to? Since they've been using them a fair amount they don't call them "Match" bullets anymore.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Are you familiar with what Ryan Avery and some of the other RokSlide guys have renamed the Hornady ELD-M bullets to? Since they've been using them a fair amount they don't call them "Match" bullets anymore.
I’ve heard and read a fair amount of stuff from Ryan Avery, I haven’t heard the new name though

SloppyJ

WKR
What about at closer ranges? Sometimes down here in the woods we will have a deer just pop out between 40 and 100yds even if you're sitting on a field edge. Talking velocities in the 3kfps range.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Close shots on deer don’t worry me too much, shot them at very close ranges with softer bullets with almost 3,300 fps muzzle velocities. I’m more likely to accidentally hit a shoulder at longer ranges and too much online reading makes me nervous for elk with match bullets

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
80bd0da81f344636815188c3212fb441.jpg

fec1b27e35add463606718200ace5d24.jpg

be5a81c3b39d6ecd1e6d9522be12cf4b.jpg

My 8’8 Alaska Grizz did not like 140 grain eld-ms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
The 208 ELD-M has been the go to bullet for deer and elk for a couple of guys I know. Its pretty much the only bullet they use now.

I have killed a lot of deer and hogs with the 208 in 30-06 and 300 win mag. I have killed them from 25 yards out to around 300. It will expand violently and wounding will likely shock you if there is your first experience with more frangible bullets.

Before trying these, I was very focused on partitions. I have completely shifted to almost all ELD-M bullets for hunting now.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have always had great luck with them in a 300 WSM. Shot a couple of elk, the furthest being 600 yds and they performed very well.