22 Mag or Sawtooth?

Bcaulder

WKR
Original post was probably too long, so...
I want a bag for no more than 5 day, but can still take into a tree, stand and saddle.

I am 5'6" 180-195 depending on if I am working out or not - 33-34" waist and broad shoulders. I carry some weight, but I'm fit.

Bags I have narrowed it down to are:

Kifaru 22 Mag
MR Cabinet
MR Sawtooth
Selway (this is very big in my eyes)
Sitka Took Bucket

Leaning towards the Sawtooth. Is the 22 Mag worth the extra $100?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
5 days would be doable using a dry bag and the meat shelf on the sawtooth and has the zipper configuration is probably the best out of those for treestand hunting. The tool box is good for the treestand but definitely not a pack you want to try and get 5 days out of or haul any kind of significant load.

EmperorMA

WKR
There is no way I could get five days out of the Mystery Ranch Sawtooth without using the Overload Shelf for packing gear rather than meat.

I could probably squeeze five days from the Mystery Ranch Selway without using the shelf.

There isn’t a huge difference between the two in actual size when you get them side by side. The Selway is wider and sticks out a tiny bit farther when full but isn’t much taller.

I really do love the pockets and layout of the Sawtooth and prefer that pack. However, I also need the size of the Selway. I kind of wish Mystery Ranch had a 65L version of the new Beartooth/Sawtooth family, or at least offered a bag-only option on the Sawtooth.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I haven't used an MR since the Crew Cab days. But you can defiantly get five days in a 22 Mag with the right gear. My wife used hers on two five day hunts and those that know her, know she ain't letting me pack any of her shit:). I like the compact pack so much I am running one this year.

I would try to see which pack fits you best before you buy. Like boots, everyone's a little different.

9865891a7e1b6713faf75611b67282a5.jpg

9ada2464874494357942c32156cd5566.jpg

Trial153

WKR
I think you can do it with any you listed except the tool bucket.

I did 6 days with my pintler having to use the shelf...cant see why woudlnt do it with the sawtooth.

The selway seems Like it would be perfect for you...

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
I think you can do it with any you listed except the tool bucket.

I did 6 days with my pintler having to use the shelf...cant see why woudlnt do it with the sawtooth.

The selway seems Like it would be perfect for you...

I agree. I have packed for 5 with a pintler using the meat shelf (just a test run). As long as it's not a cold weather hunt where you need a lot of extra clothing it's definitely doable with the sawtooth

OP
B

Bcaulder

WKR
I haven't used an MR since the Crew Cab days. But you can defiantly get five days in a 22 Mag with the right gear. My wife used hers on two five day hunts and those that know her, know she ain't letting me pack any of her shit:). I like the compact pack so much I am running one this year.

I would try to see which pack fits you best before you buy. Like boots, everyone's a little different.

9865891a7e1b6713faf75611b67282a5.jpg

9ada2464874494357942c32156cd5566.jpg
Amazingly, no retailers in DFW. Nearest in OKC.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bcaulder

WKR
5 days would be doable using a dry bag and the meat shelf on the sawtooth and has the zipper configuration is probably the best out of those for treestand hunting. The tool box is good for the treestand but definitely not a pack you want to try and get 5 days out of or haul any kind of significant load.
I was thinking the same thing about the zipper config.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Weird zippers on the Sawtooth scared me off of that and pretty much any of MR's tri-zips. The panel opening on the 22 Mag and the side pockets did it for me, I just got one on Friday. Used it this weekend snowmobiling and rock hauling. (on a NICE frame, I'd traded my 26" duplex off, may consider a 22" hunting frame in the future) It held snowshoes, shovel, saw hatchet, then switched to hauling river rocks for a project.

The thing about the 22 mag and other panel loaders, that tail works just fine to wrap around stuff that's too big to fit inside, whether it's meat (pretty irrelevant now that packs themselves compress meat against the frame) or stuff like a chainsaw or other weird shaped stuff.

I've got so fricking many Kifaru packs, I think if I'd have gotten a 22 Mag sooner, I'd have a few less...

OP
B

Bcaulder

WKR
Thanks, checking it out too
What make the 22 Mag so intriguing to me is a how modular in can be, which is also where the Woodsman looses it for me. I need to get a one and done pack and I am not sure the Woodsman could cover all my variables. And, I think it would be pretty useless in a tree.

Nice bag though.

OP
B

Bcaulder

WKR
Weird zippers on the Sawtooth scared me off of that and pretty much any of MR's tri-zips. The panel opening on the 22 Mag and the side pockets did it for me, I just got one on Friday. Used it this weekend snowmobiling and rock hauling. (on a NICE frame, I'd traded my 26" duplex off, may consider a 22" hunting frame in the future) It held snowshoes, shovel, saw hatchet, then switched to hauling river rocks for a project.

The thing about the 22 mag and other panel loaders, that tail works just fine to wrap around stuff that's too big to fit inside, whether it's meat (pretty irrelevant now that packs themselves compress meat against the frame) or stuff like a chainsaw or other weird shaped stuff.

I've got so fricking many Kifaru packs, I think if I'd have gotten a 22 Mag sooner, I'd have a few less...
Thanks for the first hand feedback. Did you feel like the bag could handle up to 5 days of backpacking/hunting?

JD619er

WKR

Please explain more of the weird zippers? The trip zip has been used for a long time in military and civilian use. I love my trizip packs and have never had a single issue. In my opinion mystery ranch uses probably the best zippers available

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the first hand feedback. Did you feel like the bag could handle up to 5 days of backpacking/hunting?

Heck yes, but, then again, I've done 5 days in a Kifaru X-Ray.... If I were to do a 5 day hunting trip, I'd probably take the 22 Mag. That's saying a lot. I've got a LOT of packs to choose from. The reason for my choice there is that it would limit my packed load volume. This wouldn't be for hauling the 8 man tipi and medium box stove kind of trip. (but it probably could) for the 1,600 cubic inch rated main bag, I think it's rated low; it feels MUCH bigger than my 2,400 ci Molle Express even before filling the side pockets, but mostly due to height...

I'm probably gushing, because, NEW PACK, but, I've been wanting something like this since before the Xing came out, and have been sticking with the MollEx because that size pack worked well for 90% of my trips that don't require hauling meat... The additional height means I can put things like my snowshoes or my air rifle inside, and I have the added benefit of packing between the bag and the frame..

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Please explain more of the weird zippers? The trip zip has been used for a long time in military and civilian use. I love my trizip packs and have never had a single issue. In my opinion mystery ranch uses probably the best zippers available

I am a curmudgeon and have lots of old 1000D Kifaru. I also have a Crew Cab, a pop up 18, and a 3 DAP. I wouldn't stuff either of those packs like I would my Kifaru packs. I also am not crazy about Kifaru's center zips, or, really, about 500D. (things like loading packs on vehicles or strapping to sleds are probably considered off-label use, but, I still do those things...)

I haven't had issues with MR, ever, I'm just superstitious. If there's a pack I "might" try, it'd be the Pintler. For me, "might" could mean 5 years from now, or, never.

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
I had a pintler and loved it. It was great for wy early season mule deer. The tri zip was good but it was annoying that you had to undo buckles to fully open the pack and it didn't translate well to tree stand hunting.