$2500 Budget for Spotting Scope

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Have you looked through either kowa in the field? Just curios, as they are all great scopes.

Im not Bwana, but I have used them. The 77 is a better scope, optically, and the Kowa Prominar WA eyepiece is better than either of the ATS/STS zooms.

To the OP, if it were me, I would jump on that Kowa deal, if it is in great shape. Already having the WA eyepiece, you could get the 88 body later if you want max performance, too. Leaves a lot of room in your budget for a great tripod and head.

The ATS 65 is really light, and a great performer too. Not many people regret getting one.

The Meopta Meostar HD is a top performer with a big 82mm objective, but it is heavier than the Kowa and ATS, and may not meet your weight needs.

WRO

WKR
My sensibilities? It's just my opinion is all, nothing offended.
The 77 is only 9oz heavier then the ATS 65 as well.

Have you looked through either kowa in the field? Just curios, as they are all great scopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of my hunting partners has a 884, it's nice. I still like my stx95 better.

OP
JigStick

JigStick

WKR
Thanks for the info guys. Can we rewind for a minute here. When it comes to rifle scopes I'm very experienced. Shooting mil / mil NF, Leupolds, and S & B's. Im very very new to spotting scopes though. Straight vs Angled eye piece. Zoom eye pieces vs fixed. Wide angle eye pieces. Glassing while sitting with a tripod. They types of tripods and heads that are needed. All of this is new to me.

What is a "wide angle eye piece" and is that what I want?

I have a two Slick Tripods that I use as shooting rests when varmint hunting. It has interchangeable heads I think. Are these tripods any good for glassing? They hold my McMillan A4 rifles well enough to shoot off of.

Is it better to have a straight scope or an angled one? I would think an angled one would be more comfortable to use while sitting and glassing for hours.

I keep seeing these tripod heads with a big handle on them to adjust them. Is that what I want?

Im researching the Kowa, Swaro, Meopta, and Vortex spotters right now.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
What is a "wide angle eye piece" and is that what I want?

A wide angle eyepiece shows more of the hillside than a standard eyepiece at the same magnification. They typically have a narrower range like 25-60 or 25-50 while the standard zooms are around 20-60 or even 20-75 (for 80mm class objective bodies).

I have a two Slick Tripods that I use as shooting rests when varmint hunting. It has interchangeable heads I think. Are these tripods any good for glassing? They hold my McMillan A4 rifles well enough to shoot off of.

Probably, but there may be other options that are lighter available.

Is it better to have a straight scope or an angled one? I would think an angled one would be more comfortable to use while sitting and glassing for hours.

I prefer angled because I can use a shorter tripod and it supports a camera better for digiscoping. This is personal preference though, and many prefer straight because they are easier to get on target.

I keep seeing these tripod heads with a big handle on them to adjust them. Is that what I want?

pan heads have handles. Some prefer them, others prefer ball heads. Again, personal preference.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I get confused on optics I call Doug at CameralandNY. He is always a wealth of knowledge and usually has demo models for sale at decent savings. Especially after show season and new product models come out. Worth a phone call, IMHO.

brewer427

WKR
I'll throw in my 2cents. Had a vortex razor (old version), upgraded to a Swaro ATS 80 for about 6-7 months, then got a chance to compare a Meopta S2 with a 30-60 WA lense against the swaro on several occasions and felt IMO that is was superior in every way but weight. The Meopta was only 7oz heavier. I've had it for a little over a year now and wont be getting rid of it anytime soon. Can't speak on the Kowa side. You can usually find Meoptas cheaper then Swaro as well. Keep an eye on Ebay. One pops up every now and then for a good price.

AGPank

WKR
A couple of reasons I now have an angled spotter. If you ever look up steep hills or at stars, the angled is much better. An angled spotter will help you get away with a shorter tripod and easier to view if you are taller.

Most angled also rotate to allow the eyepiece to adjust to different positions that may help different circumstances in the field.

I'll throw in my 2cents. Had a vortex razor (old version), upgraded to a Swaro ATS 80 for about 6-7 months, then got a chance to compare a Meopta S2 with a 30-60 WA lense against the swaro on several occasions and felt IMO that is was superior in every way but weight. The Meopta was only 7oz heavier. I've had it for a little over a year now and wont be getting rid of it anytime soon. Can't speak on the Kowa side. You can usually find Meoptas cheaper then Swaro as well. Keep an eye on Ebay. One pops up every now and then for a good price.

Definitely good advice to keep your eye on eBay. I picked up a Swaro STM HD 80mm with the standard 20-60 eyepiece, Swaro soft case, both lens covers, Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod and pan head, all in like new condition, off of eBay for $1725 shipped. I ended up selling the tripod/head (because I didn't need that bomber or heavy of a tripod), for $300, and the gentleman got a smoking deal as far as I was concerned. So basically $1425 for the scope and case.

WRO

WKR
I've never looked through the 95, but it should be better, bigger objective and it's also 2k over the OP's 2500 budget.

For 2500 I'd by the 88mm scope, optically it's darned good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I like my ats 80 hd but plan to add a Kowa 553. Really at the price of the Kowa you will not be disappointed unless you want to but my Swaro for $2500 then I'll buy the Kowa.

For 2500 I'd by the 88mm scope, optically it's darned good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'd love to look through a 95 just to say I have but they are pretty tuff to come bye, and looking through it at an optics counter wouldn't do it justice.

elkguide

WKR
I painted the house of a "birder" and he let me look through his 95's.

WOW!!!!!

If I only had money and wasn't going to carry them far........ amazing.

Broomd

WKR
Right now I have two Leica 62mm apo's... both angled. Either might be available.
Wife has been using the zoom-equipped one, I personally like the fixed eyepiece-equipped scope --either the 26x or 32x-both wide angle.

It's funny, it seems the more that one gets to know optics and optical quality, the more the fixed eyepieces become really valued. They're virtually all that the hardcore birders and wildlife buffs use. When I first started glassing it was all about the 'zoom', now? Give me a fixed.
That said, that Kowa wide angle, swaro's 25-50 and Leica's 25-50 are excellent, but heavy. If I need to articulate annuli at 1000 yards, that would be the time for any of these.

Bwana

WKR
The reality is everyone's vision and perception of light is different, we all don't see the same image or color tone the same when viewing through glass...be it spotters, bins, or rifle scopes. If we all saw the same image in the same brands, then very few optic companies would have survived till today. There is no "best" for everyone, we pick what looks best to our eyes and budget allowable.

The OP has $2500 to spend on a spotter and tripod set-up, as we all know a good spotter deserves a good tripod foundation and head...and those don't come cheap either. A member earlier stated he got a Swaro ATS, cover, and tripod set up for under $2500...not many people can say that's not a great set up and reasonable budget....and a great tool to add for his for hunting and scouting.

Broomd: I too enjoy a 30x SW eye piece, great view and excellent for digiscoping

gamehuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Vortex 65 angled for sale. 1st Gen. perfect shape with original box. Never used in the field.

lee peet

FNG
So last summer I owned a swaro 65mm and a kowa 88 but had an itch to upgrade to a swaro atx85 so I was fortunate enough to get a atx85, leica 82 with extender and zeiss diascope 85 for a couple weeks to compare to my existing scopes. Going into it I thought I would want the atx handsdown. When all the dust settled I bought the zeiss, the 75x zoom rocks and for my eyes was the clearest spotter. Gotta admit it was a hard test because they were all top notch.

Id suggest looking at the zeiss diascope

efnm

WKR
Go try out these and buy the one you like most and "fit" best: Swarovski 65mm, kowas 77 or 88 (I'd buy the kowas in the classified right now if I just hadn't bought a...), Meopta S2 (or Cabela's version of meoptas, the euro HD).

I was surprised how I didn't like the feel of the swaro eyepiece and hated the razor HD eyepiece. It was like putting my face against a PVC pipe end. Try them out, maybe your face is different.

If it was my money, I'd get the used 773 asap. I just happened to get a really good deal on the Cabela's meopta two weeks ago.