270 Recommendations

I am going to purchase a rifle for my dad for his first deer hunt and would like to get him a 270. I am looking to spend around 400, what are some good recommendations for a rifle (w/o scope) in that general ballpark? Its been so long since I purchased a new rifle that I am not sure whats hot and whats not. I am assuming that I could pick up a Model 700 without the bells and whistles around that budget.

16Bore

WKR
I think Acadamy Sports and Wally do the ADL's around $379. Ruger Americans about the same.

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on a Ruger American. Bought a Predator in 6.5 for $370ish last year for a loaner sheep/deer/similar rifle.
Shoots 140s well and faster than I would have imagined.
The RAP is a little bit heavier than the regular American, but it's factory threaded so goodies fit on the end without a special trip. :)

daddie63

WKR
I bought my daughter a Thompson Center Venture, in 7-08, and its a nice rifle for close to $400. Has a little more heft and solid feel to it. Plus it comes with a 1 moa guarantee which is great. Her rifle is less than moa. Just another option.

hodgeman

WKR
I've bought a couple of Americans...quite a lot of rifle for the money. Both of mine easily shot MOA with factory ammo. No flies on one for a hunting rifle at all.

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
I vote for that Tikka for sure. You can get t3x lites for about $500 from whittaker guns too. If thats still too much though, I'd go Ruger American.