280 AI - Light & Fast Loads

Unckebob

WKR
I do not expect to take any LR shots (greater than 400yds) at game anytime soon. Consequently, I do not feel the need for a high BC heavy for caliber bullets.

Has anyone used a non copper lightweight (<140g) to take medium (deer sized game) with success? I don't want to use a varmint bullet.

I've used the 140 Accubond and 150 Ballistic tips a good bit, both worked great at those ranges. The 150 BT may be the most overlooked 7mm bullet out there, they are great bullets for deer. The BC isn't great but for 400 and in no problem, as you noted.

If you can find them, the 120 BT is a tough little bullet as well.

I know you said non-copper, but I was getting 3550 with a 119gr Absolute Hammer from a 22” barrel. Shot great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the 120 Nosler Ballistic tip is a mean little bullet. I haven't tried it in my 280ai yet (love it for 7mm-08, I should try it in my ackly.
I have gotten 120 TTSX to 3540 using Barnes load data with Ramshot hunter

I haven't shot my new 280AI yet. But my 280 rem. I have killed a bunch with 120 gr bullets. In hornady 120 gr v max. And nosler 120 gr bt.

The 120gr Ballistic Tip in my 280 AI goes rápido. 3400fps is a mild load with it. Does work on coyotes. Only 18” of drop at 400 is a great benefit. Wind isn’t bad, just be cognizant. The 120gr BT is also one of the toughest BTs in the lineup, since it shares the jacket of the 150gr, but shortened.

Although you said non copper, the 120gr Hammer and TTSX are lightning in a bottle as well.

I’ve also used the 132gr HHT on deer this past year and they worked great.

Whether it's a 280 AI, or any other 7mm, at some point downrange the bullet is going the same speed as any other 7mm is. 400 yd limit is going to open your options to anything in the <140 gr weight.

I realize you specified non copper. However... Any copper bullet at the range and weight you are seeking will allow a medium sized deer to elk load with no compromise on basically any shot angle you will encounter.

The parameters you set forth scream "shoot copper" from a 280 AI and minimal meat loss on any shot. I am partial to the light for caliber TTSX's. 110 TTSX in .270 Win has done pronghorn, muley's and elk. 130 TTSX in the '06 has done the same species. 200 TTSX in the 35 Whelen AI hits like a hammer from any angle on anything with speed and trajectory to make it a comfortable 400 yard combo.

Yes, reconsider on the copper, IME.

No experience with non-copper, but I have found the Barnes 145 LRX to be in a real sweet spot for the 280AI. I'm getting 3100 with H4831SC and IMR 4350 (24" barrel), both give excellent accuracy and retain sufficient velocity to expand to 800 yards.

I vote copper! With your range limit, copper is the ticket. 120-140 grain range.

thayerp81 - do you know what your twist rate is? I have heard that the 145 LRX might not stabilize in my 9.5" twist barrel.

thanks....Jeff

Go Copper! Light and fast is what copper is all about. Breaks shoulders and keeps going. Also, wife is way happier with reduced blood shot and picking lead and copper jacket out of the burger.

B
thayerp81 - do you know what your twist rate is? I have heard that the 145 LRX might not stabilize in my 9.5" twist barrel.

thanks....Jeff
Barnes says 9.5” or faster for the 145. My 280 with a 1:9” 24” barrel shoots the 145 LRX very well at 3013 fps. If you are shooting an AI version I bet you are fine, and probably OK from a 280 unless it has a very short or slow barrel. To know for sure, fire a few.

Back