2nd rifle season bugle?

Shupe88

WKR
I will be hunting Colorado this October. 2nd rifle season. Never been elk hunting just read and listen to tons of stuff about it. Will there be any reason to bring a cow call or bugle tube that late in the season? It will be end of October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on the weather, they can still bugle, calls might help you locate them, but calling them in, not likely

Maybe cow call, but in all honesty if you have to ask that question you shouldn’t be bugling anyways. I know it sounds cool and the tv shows make it look so awesome and easy but if you’re inexperienced the last thing you should be doing is walking through the woods blowing bugles constantly or even at all. Elk in many OTC units are getting call shy

OP
Shupe88

Shupe88

WKR
Maybe cow call, but in all honesty if you have to ask that question you shouldn’t be bugling anyways. I know it sounds cool and the tv shows make it look so awesome and easy but if you’re inexperienced the last thing you should be doing is walking through the woods blowing bugles constantly or even at all. Elk in many OTC units are getting call shy

I appreciate the honesty!

Marble

WKR
Cows that haven't been bred will come back into heat mid October. I've been in the middle of a rut fest several times. Most years it doesn't happen, but when it does, it's like archery season with rifle. I generally don't carry my bugle tube during second rifle. But I always have cow calls.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

big44a4

WKR
I’ve only been 2nd rifle the last two years and have heard 0 bugles. I would leave the calls at the truck. That said I keep my diaphragms in my bino harness year round anyways so could cow call if needed but have not seen the need to. As said above most public land elk in Colorado are very call shy in my experience as well.

OP
Shupe88

Shupe88

WKR
I have several basic questions that I would like to ask one of you experienced elk hunters if you wouldn't mind? Nothing to do with units or anything just kinda what to expect as far as weather conditions etc.

Gerbdog

WKR
I'll get you the weather conditions:

Could be anything.

Come prepared to wear t-shirts some days or be under a foot of snow the next day. Everything in between is just as likely. Rain - wind - cold - heat.

2nd Rifle weather in CO varies so much year to year and will change day to day.

Marble

WKR
I'll get you the weather conditions:

Could be anything.

Come prepared to wear t-shirts some days or be under a foot of snow the next day. Everything in between is just as likely. Rain - wind - cold - heat.

2nd Rifle weather in CO varies so much year to year and will change day to day.
This...

I can say that during the second season, it's cool enough not to worry about meat. It's normally 15-25 at night. Keep it in the shade and you'll have days to move meat.

OP
Shupe88

Shupe88

WKR
This...

I can say that during the second season, it's cool enough not to worry about meat. It's normally 15-25 at night. Keep it in the shade and you'll have days to move meat.

That's good to know. My whole goal anyways is to bring home meat. Now that I think about it I'm not sure why I even asked the ? I'm gonna try to kill the first legal elk I find. And I know realistically that will be hard enough.

Marble

WKR
That's good to know. My whole goal anyways is to bring home meat. Now that I think about it I'm not sure why I even asked the ? I'm gonna try to kill the first legal elk I find. And I know realistically that will be hard enough.

The few times I passed on elk, I regretted it. I want to kill a big mature bull, but I am delighted with a medium to large cow or any raghorn.

Unless you have a full freezer, know the area you're in and are very experienced, I would advise anyone to not pass on an animal.

I keep my calls in the pack all year, but typically am just using cow calls 2nd season. Like Whitetails, Elk communicate all year.