3 North Idaho calf killers took a dirt nap!

BTH

FNG
I know I know this is an elk thread and you are saying these aren't elk, but now days these wolves are in some way, shape, or form affecting all of us as elk hunters. This last week I was deer hunting the high country and ran into two packs of the rats totaling over 10+ wolves. Long story short I killed these cross a canyon just minutes after giving a couple coyote howls. They came running into the cut and separated as if to go in kill mode. At this point I was set up had them ranged with the vortex scope dialed ready to sling lead. The first encounter I killed one and the pack dispersed immediately. Not having a pack frame, I found the wolf that night and drug her to the creek to pack the next am. Early the next morn found myself glassing the same cut with the pack howling on the ridge above. So i set up and after a few more coyote howls they made the same mistake twice this time my shooting was much faster. After the first audible "WHACK" the live wolves took off again, this time i gave a loud bark sound with my voice and stopped one just as she was about to leave, giving my 7mm STW time to break the silence again. So when all said and done 3 female wolves drew short straws and in turn saving possibly hundreds of elk. The sad part of this story is the first day seeing 46 cow elk and only 4 were calves. Less than 10% cow calf ratio pre winter is a recipe for not having a future of elk in N Idaho.

Attachments

• 099.jpg
    099.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 613
  • 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 528
  • 093.jpg
    093.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 507
Glad to see you're doing your part. Hopefully I'll have a similar story to tell this winter. Congrats and good shooting.

Sweet! I have family who own a sheep ranch near wolf creek Mt. They always have issues with wolves and I have been meaning to plan a trip up there to help them out.

Freaking awesome!!!! If there was an easy way to gender I.D. I'd shoot every female on the mountain. I only pray that wolves don't establish in northern Utah. We are already having elk problems. we don't need wolves to compound it. They are here, just not established.

My brother lives in Missoula and he spends more time chasing wolves than anything else. dang hard to kill one, let alone 3!

Way to go Ryan..........super work you have done....keep at it and if you need another hunter later with tag in hand let me know!

Absolutely fantastic, congratulations.

The fact that they are all females makes it that much better. I've been carrying multiple wolf tags every year but have yet to have the chance to kill one.

Well done! It's great to rid the hills of a few more of those dirty buggers. Thanks for sharing!

jonny5

Is this a seasonal thing or can ya hunt em anytime? I would LOVE to hunt wolves...my wall needs more fur. <g> I'm in So. Calif. (don't hate me) but would travel up there if i had someone invite me (nudge nudge) who knows where to go. Have a FoxPro FX5 and everything too.

Back