30-06 vs 300 weatherby mag.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
so i wanna know is the 30-06 as good as people say i am thinking about getting a savage axis 30-06 to shoot for pretty cheap. or should i just stay with my 300 weatherby for long range shooting, i will shoot out to 500 yards. i might hunt with the 30-06 if i like it. but i will probaly stay with my 300 weatherby for hunting. i just want a good long range cartridge to shoot for cheap. i have a 243 win single shot its a 18.5 inch barrel and a 1:10 twist wich i hear is not a good long range barrel twist and i do not want to buy another 243 win so thats off the board but anything else 308 win 270 win something cheap to shoot.

Macintosh

WKR
Cheap to shoot for practice? Get a 223. Second choice a 6.5creedmore. Third choice a 308. All three are plenty potent past 500 yards, all three are significantly cheaper than 3006 (or at least have more inexpensive options that are still high quality ime). I would also not want 3006 recoil for my practice—even if you are not recoil sensitive it’s unnecessary and potentially harmful to your practice. I just bought a flat of 6.5cm match ammo for only a little over $1 a round. Ditto for 308. Not sure you can do that with a 3006.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
Cheap to shoot for practice? Get a 223. Second choice a 6.5creedmore. Third choice a 308. All three are plenty potent past 500 yards, all three are significantly cheaper than 3006 (or at least have more inexpensive options that are still high quality ime). I would also not want 3006 recoil for my practice—even if you are not recoil sensitive it’s unnecessary and potentially harmful to your practice. I just bought a flat of 6.5cm match ammo for only a little over $1 a round. Ditto for 308. Not sure you can do that with a 3006.
i can get horandy match for abou 30 bucks

RONDO264

FNG
I would second the 6.5cm or 308 vote for a plinking, longer range rifle. Even cheaper if you reload, or at least it used to be when you could find powder for a decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
i can get horandy match for abou 30 bucks
Thats 1.50/round, 25% more than Ive paid recently for 6.5 and 308 match grade ammo.
I didnt know it existed, thats not too bad though. Is it common/easy to find most of the time?
Then you just have excessive recoil. If you want it, get it—just would not be my choice even if price were the same. Other than recoil nothing wrong with it per se, it just doesnt do anything the smaller cartridges dont do just as well.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
I would second the 6.5cm or 308 vote for a plinking, longer range rifle. Even cheaper if you reload, or at least it used to be when you could find powder for a decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6.5 crred aint a good hunting gun i have heard i am ewanting this for a secondary hunting rifle and a long range shooter.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
Thats 1.50/round, 25% more than Ive paid recently for 6.5 and 308 match grade ammo.
I didnt know it existed, thats not too bad though. Is it common/easy to find most of the time?
Then you just have excessive recoil. If you want it, get it—just would not be my choice even if price were the same. Other than recoil nothing wrong with it per se, it just doesnt do anything the smaller cartridges dont do just as well.
its anywhere from 53.99 to 119 for 300 weatherby ammo so 30 bucks for a box of ammo aint gonna break the bank.yes its pretty common.

Mowata

FNG
Stick with your 300 Weatherby, I've been shooting one since the late 80's. I have many hunting rifles in different calibers but 300 weatherby is the one I shoot with confidence if you want to shoot at long range.

The guys saying .223, 6.5 cm, and .308 are spot on. If you want to use it for hunting and don’t feel comfortable using a .223 for the task, the other 2 options are more than good enough for deer hunting. Idk who is telling you that 6.5CM isn’t a good hunting round but they are very wrong. Lots of guys are killing stuff with it in the 6.5 kill thread on the firearms sub-forum. It’s basically a younger 6.5x55, and that cartridge has been killing everything from deer to Germans to moose for over 120 years.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
The guys saying .223, 6.5 cm, and .308 are spot on. If you want to use it for hunting and don’t feel comfortable using a .223 for the task, the other 2 options are more than good enough for deer hunting. Idk who is telling you that 6.5CM isn’t a good hunting round but they are very wrong. Lots of guys are killing stuff with it in the 6.5 kill thread on the firearms sub-forum. It’s basically a younger 6.5x55, and that cartridge has been killing everything from deer to Germans to moose for over 120 years.
i know a guy that has a tracking dog most only thing he has to track are deer that where shot with 6.5 creedmoor or 6mm creed because even with horandy eldx 6.5 in 6.5 mm out no expansion unless with a shoulder shot.

i know a guy that has a tracking dog most only thing he has to track are deer that where shot with 6.5 creedmoor or 6mm creed because even with horandy eldx 6.5 in 6.5 mm out no expansion unless with a shoulder shot.
So you’re admitting that poorly shot animals require extra help to retrieve? Who woulda ever thought that you’d need to actually put a bullet into the kill zone? Any of the cm are as good as anything else out there, but you still have to wreck the vitals.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
That doesn’t line up with what I’ve heard from other trackers, or what I’ve seen hunting with the 6.5x55 and .243 for the past 15 years, but maybe that is his experience. If so it’s probably bad shot placement over ELD-X bullets not expanding.

I haven’t used the ELD line but in my firsthand experience ANY softpoint 6mm or 6.5 bullet is going to expand on a deer out to the ranges I’ve shot them, and a bonded or partition 6mm- or nearly any 140 grain 6.5mm- is going to exit as well.

check that 6.5 kill thread out. Otherwise, if you somehow still believe the 6.5 won’t kill a deer, just get a .308. It’s cheaper and more available than 30-06, and also kills deer very well

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
That doesn’t line up with what I’ve heard from other trackers, or what I’ve seen hunting with the 6.5x55 and .243 for the past 15 years, but maybe that is his experience. If so it’s probably bad shot placement over ELD-X bullets not expanding.

I haven’t used the ELD line but in my firsthand experience ANY softpoint 6mm or 6.5 bullet is going to expand on a deer out to the ranges I’ve shot them, and a bonded or partition 6mm- or nearly any 140 grain 6.5mm- is going to exit as well.

check that 6.5 kill thread out. Otherwise, if you somehow still believe the 6.5 won’t kill a deer, just get a .308. It’s cheaper and more available than 30-06, and also kills deer very well
the reason i kinda don't want a 308 is cause everybody has one like literally everyone.

You are all over the place. You're going to get a 223 because different bullet types but not a 6.5 creed because its not good for hunting and you're convinced a 143 ELDx is penciling through whitetails unless it hits a bone?

You seem to be stuck in cartridge headstamp fairytale land. Headstamps don’t matter, bullets and their impact velocity do. Zero reason to get a 30-06 for punching paper/steel.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
You are all over the place. You're going to get a 223 because different bullet types but not a 6.5 creed because its not good for hunting and you're convinced a 143 ELDx is penciling through whitetails unless it hits a bone?

You seem to be stuck in cartridge headstamp fairytale land. Headstamps don’t matter, bullets and their impact velocity do. Zero reason to get a 30-06 for punching paper/steel.
ok 6.5 creedmoor is a low energy cartridge for what it is i would get a 6mm arc before i would get a creedmoor because of the energy. 223 is a low energy cartridge too but it has it's reasons small .223 bullet flying fast then it loses it's terminal energy about 300 yards but can still kill up too 500+. so why get a creedmoor when you can get a 223 for cheaper?

ok 6.5 creedmoor is a low energy cartridge for what it is i would get a 6mm arc before i would get a creedmoor because of the energy. 223 is a low energy cartridge too but it has it's reasons small .223 bullet flying fast then it loses it's terminal energy about 300 yards but can still kill up too 500+. so why get a creedmoor when you can get a 223 for cheaper?

A 223 isn't a bad option and I'd agree heartily that if you're looking for something to shoot more volume with instead of your 300 bee, its probably the best choice.

Your use of the word energy in this post still shows you don't understand these things. A 6.5 creedmoor is not a low energy cartridge "for what it is". What it is, a modest (slightly smaller than 308 family) short action cartridge, produces a pretty good amount of energy for its size. The 6 ARC isn't any better in terms of energy "for what it is" but that doesn't make the 6 ARC bad.

These are a couple good podcasts that might help with understanding some of this stuff.