300 prc vs 300 wby

v8rider

FNG
If you're going to build your next 300 would it be a PRC or Wby? I love my weatherby and heard good things about the PRC, wondering why you would choose one over the over?

Prc... there's no quality components, brass is expensive. Factory ammo is limited and very expensive for the Weatherby.

Had a couple Weatherbys. Sold them years ago.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
v8rider

v8rider

FNG
Prc... there's no quality components, brass is expensive. Factory ammo is limited and very expensive for the Weatherby.

Had a couple Weatherbys. Sold them years ago.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Thanks. I understand the price difference. What do you mean by "no quality components"?

jimh406

WKR
My 300 Wby shoots lights out as they say. I think it depends on the bullet weight. Neither caliber is cheap to shoot. If my 300 Wby didn’t shoot so well, I’d consider a 300 PRC. However, I think a 300 WSM might be a better choice.

Wapiti1

WKR
Weatherby requires a longer long action to work well with VLD's and the factory rifles aren't twisted properly.

You can argue the belt verse no belt concept.

IMO the PRC is the better of the two for a long range rig simply because of the shorter case length. That really makes it easier to fit into an action with any bullet.

If you are looking more for a general shooter, then either is fine. I didn't like Weatherby brass when I had a .300. Soft. I did fine with Remington brass in it.

Jeremy

B23

WKR
I had the very first Weatherby Accumark in 300Wby my local dealer got way back in the early 90's when Weatherby first came out with them. I used it for everything and it was easily the most accurate Weatherby I ever owned. It did everything I ever asked it to do but as much as I loved that gun and cartridge, I've gotten over my love affair with Weatherby and thinking their cartridges did anything special. It would be an easy decision for me, 300PRC over the 300Wby all day everyday.

nobody

WKR
PRC, no brainer. Designed to run the modern, high BC projectiles. You can do it in your Weatherby, but not without tradeoffs. PRC spanks it ballistically at longer ranges.

OP
v8rider

v8rider

FNG
My 300 Wby shoots lights out as they say. I think it depends on the bullet weight. Neither caliber is cheap to shoot. If my 300 Wby didn’t shoot so well, I’d consider a 300 PRC. However, I think a 300 WSM might be a better choice.

I had the very first Weatherby Accumark in 300Wby my local dealer got way back in the early 90's when Weatherby first came out with them. I used it for everything and it was easily the most accurate Weatherby I ever owned. It did everything I ever asked it to do but as much as I loved that gun and cartridge, I've gotten over my love affair with Weatherby and thinking their cartridges did anything special. It would be an easy decision for me, 300PRC over the 300Wby all day everyday.
LOL, that's my problem, I have a love affair with the Weatherby and my V2 shoots .75 all day. +20 African animals, Baboon @ 525 and Ibex at 647yrds! Ok, thanks everyone. I'm convinced, I'm selling 300Wby or a PRC build.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
The only value of a .30 magnum is running long heavy bullets. A .300 wby with a 215 Berger seated at the case neck - boat tail junction is an extremely long cartridge that needs 4.0 mag box. A 300 PRC or better yet 30 Nosler will fit in a 3.850 AICS mag with a proper bullet. Enough said.

I ran a .300 wby AI back in the day and a 30 nosler now. They run 215 bergers at the exact same speed but the 30 nosler does it in a magazine with cheaper and better brass.