300 Weatherby Custom

O'Really

Lil-Rokslider
I have decided to build a custom rifle in the caliber of 300 WBY. The goal is to be lightweight. I would like to build this rifle on a Remington action.

Those are the stipulations. I am looking for any ideas and advice?

If it were you, how would you go about such a project...

Thanks!!!

I hunted with a Remington AWR in 300 Wthby for several years before retiring it. It was a killing machine! Remington built these with a Teflon coated stainless action and barrel. It came with a McMillan hunter style stock and a tuned trigger. I added a muzzle brake and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 scope. I think it weighed right at 8 pounds loaded. I wouldn't build a 30 caliber magnum that weighs less than that.

I would build a rifle along the same lines. Start with a trued 700 action, a McMillan stock that fits, a #4 taper 24" or 26" tube with a DE muzzle brake, a Jewell trigger set at 2 1/2-3 pounds, and a Leupold or Nightforce scope with a top magnification of 15x.

30-338mag

FNG
There all kinds of things you can do to Rem action

http://www.mgarmsinc.com/MGA-UltraLight-Rifle.html

I've had 300Wby and 270Wby build on Rem actions and scoped weight just little over 9lbs and no problems handling the recoil without a brake. I used one of Mike Rocks fluted barrels on the 270Wby and both rifles have 26" barrels. I try and keep my hunting rifles around 9lbs at 71 good packing weight still pack up around timberline and I'm sure I could shed some more weight go to the ADL stock maybe also lighter stock few other things. I maybe little more concern on how it balanced vs going too light.

Well good luck

LaHunter

WKR
I have shot a light weight Wby 300 mag a few times and personally I don't care to do it again.
It was a Mk V with a skinny barrel and no muzzle brake and it kicked like a mule.
If it were me, I would be sure to put a good muzzle brake on it if you are going light weight.

Good Luck

handwerk

WKR
Although my 300 is an H&H and built on a pre 64 M70 action, I went with a #2 lilja @24" and put it into and echols legend stock with edge fill, with scope and mounts it comes in at 7 3/4 lbs, a very comfy weight. With the wby burning more powder I'd not go too much less than 8 lbs. all up. I'd put it in a mcmillian stock that fits you and enjoy the project.

Hi Oreally,
I too am a big fan of the .300 Weatherby and have a 700 Classic so chambered. You might want to look around for a Remington 700 KS in .300 Weatherby. It is similiar to the AWR mentioned above,and came with a Mcmilan kevlar stock.It was made in the Remington Custom Shop. Remington dropped the chambering in the KS several years ago but the pop up on the gun auctions from time to time. I have one in .375 and it's a solid rifle, light, weatherproof and accrurate. Good luck with whatever you choose.

sfischer

FNG
Have you looked at the Weatherby ultra light? I shoot a 300 Weatherby mark V ultra light with a 26" barrel and with a vortex viper hs lr 4-16x50 scope which is a little on the heavier side and it weighs 8#-6oz. Only upgrades I've done is some trigger work. I don't have a muzzle brake because the recoil doesn't bother me. Reloading your own ammo will save you some coins. I think it's a great back packing and mountain gun.