.300 Winmag round for Tikka T3

Kilo184

FNG
Just got my new Tikka T3x setup and was wondering what round everybody likes to shoot from them for Elk. Doing a Montana Elk hunt in October and want something that will put down an Elk at 800 yards if needed.

Looking at loading:
Barnes Tipped Triple Shock 180
Nosler Accubond 180
Nosler LR Accubond 190

What is the best out of this gun?
Would you try some other round?
What weight is the best to shoot out of the 1-11" twist that Tikka has?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

180 accubond with h4831 works good.... I couldn't get the lr accubonds to fly like the 180 and 200 grain accubonds.... Don't be afraid to shoot sum 200 grain bergers... I shoot them in the clip... And 210 fly good to... But out of the clip.....

I use 180gr Accubonds over H1000 in my 300WM at 2956fps. Mine has a shorter 23.5" barrel plus a brake. It's not a Tikka but I like how the Accubond performs.

I've got the same gun and broke it in with factory hornady eld-x 200 grain. They are really accurate. I havent had a chance to try them on animals yet so I cant say how they perform there but I hope to put a hog down in the next couple of months. I will probably try some accubonds in 180 just for my own curiosity.

I just ordered some hornady eld-x for my .300 after worrying about it and studying it for days. I think they offer exactly what i need.

I dumped a moose at 360yds with a 180AB, no complaints. I've done a lot of hunting with the AB over the last 10 years or so...they're pretty uniform and I've got no reason to experiment at this point.

In reality, any of those bullets would work just fine if you do your part.

I've killed several elk with 180 TTSX and they dropped to the shot pretty much, I've killed even more elk with 180 Accubonds from my 30.06AI (a bit slower) with absolutely no complaints, last season my sons each shot a large bull at 280-320 yards with 200 Accubonds sent from Tikka 300 win mags and they did outstanding jobs but then, my '06AI did as well with 180 AB - For me the Eld x "jury" is still out .....

180 grain Nosler Partition is doing very well in mine. This is three rounds at 100yds from a sandbag rest. It's an older bullet design, but it has a well earned reputation against elk. I know there are more modern bullet designs on the market, but accuracy and penetration are the final word and the Nosler Partition provides both.

300 Win Mag

Last edited:
I shoot 168 barnes out of my Tikka t3x 300. They group great. I'm just starting to handload, so I'll probably refill with 180 barnes, as my BC is a little low with the 168s. I know barnes perform really well on animals, used my .223 on a whitetail at 202 yards with a 55 grain barnes, bang flop and found the bullet stuck in the hide on the far side. I'm a believer.

for anyone who hasn't read the Nosler description for Accubonds .... "they are designed to perform like the Partition and fly like the Ballistic Tip" - it never ceases to amaze me that you will read reports (or opinions) saying an Accubond "blew up" so they went back to Partitions

Accubonds don't "blow up" any more than a Partition "blows up or comes apart" - they will both penetrate well and leave approx. 60% in a clump (which you will find when field dressing the animal harvested)

"Long Range Accubonds" I don't know about but they're at least " a little" different or they'd still be called "Accubonds" Read the Literature

Just got my new Tikka T3x setup and was wondering what round everybody likes to shoot from them for Elk. Doing a Montana Elk hunt in October and want something that will put down an Elk at 800 yards if needed.

Looking at loading:
Barnes Tipped Triple Shock 180
Nosler Accubond 180
Nosler LR Accubond 190

What is the best out of this gun?
Would you try some other round?
What weight is the best to shoot out of the 1-11" twist that Tikka has?

Tikka 1:11 twist is proven to like 200 grain Accubonds just find so I'd think you're good to go with the first two choices no problem

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'm going to test the Barnes 180 and Accubond 200 and see what shoots better for me.

300 winmag round for tikka t3

U will find the tikka will handle the 200 just fine... I get 2850 fps with 200 accubonds and bergers. And it shoots 210 pretty well to... These are group pics of berger 210... It shoots 180 200 and 210.. All the same though... 180s get 4831.. I couldnt get the 180 to group well at max load.. Had to back it of just a bit... The 200 and 210 get H1000

How often do you shoot 800 yards?

Not very often but I plan to with this gun. A sniper friend has a bunch of us trying for mile long shots with our .308's and .300 Winmag. My .308 is setup as a sniper rifle though with a heavy barrel. 680 yard shots are nothing with my .308, so the 800 yard with a .300 Winmag shouldn't be much.

Back