300 WSM Norma Bondstrike Wyoming Elk

jstraus34

FNG
Just wrapped up an elk hunt in Southern Wyoming where I brought my 300 WSM and several boxes of Norma Bondstrike. Day 3 had a good shot opportunity at small 6 at 185 yards. When he finally got out of his bed, I hit him at slight quartering away shot. He he just hunched up at the shot and stood there and quickly put one more in where he immediately collapsed. the first shot hit him middle part the rib cage and bullet lodged in the hide on opposite front shoulder. Second shot was not recovered but hit spine, not sure it was necessary but shoot until they are down is the what I've always done regardless the animal. Pics speak for themselves as to bullet terminal performance. This round has been extremely accurate in my Browning Hells Canyon, its a keeper for sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 9.15.28 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 9.15.28 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 9.15.48 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 9.15.48 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 102

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to see it performed well for you. I plan on using the same setup on elk in a few weeks. Did you hit rib bones?

OP
J

jstraus34

FNG
Glad to see it performed well for you. I plan on using the same setup on elk in a few weeks. Did you hit rib bones?
The bull was quartering away so bullet entered back middle of the rib cage and rested just behind the opposite shoulder against the hide. It did break first rib on entry and passed through additional body cavity given the angle. Had it been completely broadside, I don't think it would have been recovered as I believe it would have passed through

OP
J

jstraus34

FNG
Do you have any pictures of the terminal performance?
No unfortunately I didn't take any pics after skinning and the forum is telling me the pic of the dead elk it too big. Not sure why as its the same size file as the pics of bullet.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I know - 300 wsm is A LOT for antelope and white-tailed deer, but I wanted to see how the bondstrikes performed before elk season. My antelope shot was 295 yards. The antelope was quartering away. My shot was a far back - basically mid body. Encountered no bone. Exited just in front of the hind quarter. It broke the back eventhough the bullet path was a few inches below the backbone. Massive damage. I could fit both fists inside the exit hole.

Attachments

• 20231009_093850.jpg
    20231009_093850.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 60

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I shot 2 deer. Again, the setup was devastating. I recovered the bullet from the deer that I shot frontal. The bullet encountered bone upon entry. It traveled though the deer and I recovered it in the rear quarter.

Attachments

• 20231020_150553.jpg
    20231020_150553.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20231020_150517.jpg
    20231020_150517.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
J

jstraus34

FNG
I shot 2 deer. Again, the setup was devastating. I recovered the bullet from the deer that I shot frontal. The bullet encountered bone upon entry. It traveled though the deer and I recovered it in the rear quarter.
Its a good bullet, I've had similar results with Nosler Accubond with elk, deer and bear. Even Federal Fusion is a solid performer and shoots well out of my guns at closer ranges. Haven't had a chance to try Federal Terminal Ascent but would expect it to be another great performer. I know ELD-X has its fans but every time I see a review, more than half the time it shows cup and core separation, not sure how much that matters on terminal performance just may not get an exit wound.

That said one of the guys in camp shot a 6x6 at last light with 7mm Mag with Barnes TSX broadside and didn't find it until the next day as it didn't exit.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Its a good bullet, I've had similar results with Nosler Accubond with elk, deer and bear. Even Federal Fusion is a solid performer and shoots well out of my guns at closer ranges. Haven't had a chance to try Federal Terminal Ascent but would expect it to be another great performer. I know ELD-X has its fans but every time I see a review, more than half the time it shows cup and core separation, not sure how much that matters on terminal performance just may not get an exit wound.

That said one of the guys in camp shot a 6x6 at last light with 7mm Mag with Barnes TSX broadside and didn't find it until the next day as it didn't exit.
I used terminal ascents last year in my 300 wsm and had great results. They were tougher than the bondstrikes. I think I would prefer the terminal ascents if punching through a paunch or a front shoulder for heavily quartering shots. But it seems like the bondstrike would be hard to beat for a broadside shot.

OP
J

jstraus34

FNG
I used terminal ascents last year in my 300 wsm and had great results. They were tougher than the bondstrikes. I think I would prefer the terminal ascents if punching through a paunch or a front shoulder for heavily quartering shots. But it seems like the bondstrike would be hard to beat for a broadside shot.
It becomes the old argument of do you want the energy delivered inside the animal or to create an exit wound. I'm not sure there is a clear answer on this as with everything there are tradeoffs... no free lunches. If the animal dies right there, its irrelevant but if it gets up and runs, a punch-through leaves a way better blood trail. One of the guys in camp was using a Barnes TSX in 7MM mag, which is a bullet notorious for punch through and good mushrooming. The bullet did not exit and he didn't find it until almost 18 hours after he connected as there was zero blood trail on snow covered ground. Terminal Ascent is solid round and probably is more likely to exit in the 300 WSM but again many variables can effect the end result.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Yup, my boy just used the bondstrike on a bull, Tikka 300 wsm. They shoot lights out in that rig. I hope Norma reads this and never stops making that round.

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, my boy just used the bondstrike on a bull, Tikka 300 wsm. They shoot lights out in that rig. I hope Norma reads this and never stops making that round.
Based on waiting for an in stock notification it seems like Norma stopped making them about 18 months ago....