300 WSM vs 300 win mag

Flyjunky

WKR
I think the popularity thing all comes down the name, "short", and how that word fits into the macho image.
Had it been introduced as "stout" or almost anything else, the Win-Mag would most likely be the one with hard to get ammo right now.
How long has the 300wm been around, and how many new cartridges have come and gone? 300wsm is a good cartridge but it would have never taken the 300wm’s place, and it’s not because of the name.

How long has the 300wm been around, and how many new cartridges have come and gone? 300wsm is a good cartridge but it would have never taken the 300wm’s place, and it’s not because of the name.
I believe the 1960s is when Winchester introduced the 300 Win-mag.
Then, with engineering technology of decades later, Winchester came out with a 'new and improved' version, the 300 Short Magnum.

As nonsensical as it seems, I'm afraid, to say guys get tickled when they boast about shooting a 'magnum', and don't want to seem less manly, by saying they shoot the 'Short' version.

B23

WKR
I dont see enough gain going with a 30 Nosler or 300 PRC vs the win mag.
Agreed, there's very little velocity difference. There's really very little velocity difference in nearly all of them from the 300WSM up, especially when they have 26in or shorter barrels. For me, I would take the 30 Nos or 300 PRC over the 300 Winnie because I personally think they're a better case design but that doesn't mean the Winnie still isn't a fine cartridge.

bmart2622

WKR
I believe the 1960s is when Winchester introduced the 300 Win-mag.
Then, with engineering technology of decades later, Winchester came out with a 'new and improved' version, the 300 Short Magnum.

As nonsensical as it seems, I'm afraid, to say guys get tickled when they boast about shooting a 'magnum', and don't want to seem less manly, by saying they shoot the 'Short' version.
Yeah man, I dont see that at all

t_carlson

WKR
They were both invented by the same company, decades apart. The WSM was introduced to correct inefficiencies of the old design.
The result was, a nearly identical trajectory, but with less gun powder, and with a shorter action. Noteworthy improvements, IMO.

I own both, and prefer the WSM, hands down every time. An elk trip later this year, the Win-mag will make the trip, but only as a back up, again.

The WSM was created to sell more rifles. The WM will beat it in velocity, especially if handloaded.

The only real advantage is action length and weight, but many are finding out that a little bit more rifle weight in something that kicks as much as a 30 cal magnum is not that bad of a thing to have.

As the owner of a few WSMs, I regret having to say this, but they will be viewed as another flash in the pan 20 years from now and the WM will still be selling.

The other short action mags have kinda stolen the WSM's thunder - SAUM and PRC. I think if most guys decide they want a 30 cal, they are aiming for big performance so usually go towards a 300 PRC,WM, RUM, Nos, etc. As far as lighter goes, the difference between a short action and long action weight wise is usually only 2 or 3 oz.

There has been 10x more WSMs sold than SAUMs. Maybe even more than that.

That's what I was thinking.
I haven't seen SAUM anything on a shelf in over 15 years.

B23

WKR
Nothing against the SAUM, like anything else they have their place, but does anyone chamber anything in any of the SAUM cartridges anymore??

Off topic but SAUM related, I really like the idea of a 25 SAUM shooting these new 133/134/135's.

madcalfe

WKR
yea you hardly see anything in saum unless its a custom.
Nothing against the SAUM, like anything else they have their place, but does anyone chamber anything in any of the SAUM cartridges anymore??

i think the only people that chamber anything in saum is custom builders and its just the 6.5saum and 7saum i haven't seen a 300saum in a long time

ID_Matt

WKR
I don't doubt that. However, I help with a custom gun company and I would bet we chamber 10X SAUM's on the custom side. Over the counter at cabela's with a box of Federal's, I have no doubt the WSM sells more. I don't believe there are any factory saum offerings. I'd have to bet in the last year the the 6.5 PRC has outpaced the WSM by quite a bit.

B23

WKR
I'd have to bet in the last year the the 6.5 PRC has outpaced the WSM by quite a bit.
I think you're spot on and definitely a bet I'd take all day long.

I'm not a bench rest shooter but I recall reading something, I believe Alex Wheeler wrote, that in the BR world, with regard to ease of tuning, that even the SAUM case was a little on the big side and with the 6.5PRC having nearly identical case capacity of the 284 case that it wouldn't be any surprise to see more use of the 6.5PRC or some variant of it in the different shooting competitions.

JakeSCH

WKR
IMO it really doesn't matter when it comes to hunting rifle. Both are great and the tradeoffs are so close that it comes down to what floats your boat.

When I went back and forth between the two a a while back, I ended up going with 300 WM because my hunting partner at the time was having all sorts of issues with his 300 WSM.

We had to file down his shell holder to get the brass to chamber and occasionally his brass would not extract even when the bolt opened. Had to get push rods to remove from chamber. We even lost an elk because he couldn't chamber a round after a poor first shot.

Likely is a rare situation, but not one I will forget. As a side note, he is using better brass these does and a lot of the extraction issues have gone.

madcalfe

WKR
IMO it really doesn't matter when it comes to hunting rifle. Both are great and the tradeoffs are so close that it comes down to what floats your boat.

When I went back and forth between the two a a while back, I ended up going with 300 WM because my hunting partner at the time was having all sorts of issues with his 300 WSM.

We had to file down his shell holder to get the brass to chamber and occasionally his brass would not extract even when the bolt opened. Had to get push rods to remove from chamber. We even lost an elk because he couldn't chamber a round after a poor first shot.

Likely is a rare situation, but not one I will forget. As a side note, he is using better brass these does and a lot of the extraction issues have gone.
kinda sounds like gun or handloading issue not caliber issue.
ive owned 4 different 300wsm now in the last 10 years
and never had a single feeding problem with any
I've also used every type of brass from Winchester, federal, nosler, adg nickel plated Winchester

Sled

WKR
I think the popularity thing all comes down the name, "short", and how that word fits into the macho image.
Had it been introduced as "stout" or almost anything else, the Win-Mag would most likely be the one with hard to get ammo right now.

WGM? Winchester Girth Magnum would have sold more. I'd be able to find ammo for a 270WGM.

madcalfe

WKR
Ive heard of feeding issues on many occasions
how recently?
when it first came out there were issues with them feeding yes.
But I've never heard of any having issues in the last decade unless it was related to a custom that just needed tweaking of the mag lips or follower spring.

Also theres all the rumours about a 300wm having feeding issues due to the belted case design :rolleyes:

bmart2622

WKR
how recently?
when it first came out there were issues with them feeding yes.
But I've never heard of any having issues in the last decade unless it was related to a custom that just needed tweaking of the mag lips or follower spring.

Also theres all the rumours about a 300wm having feeding issues due to the belted case design :rolleyes:
Im not sure, definitely within the last 10 years and definitely more prevalent than win mag feeding issues

jimh406

WKR
The WSM was created to have the similar performance as the 300 Win Mag in a shorter more efficient case. It does that. You can find ammo, brass, etc online. Maybe not all of the time, but I think it depends on how much you shoot whether that matters or not. I can find it in stores in my area most of the time. YMMV. If you reload, the cost variable goes out the window.

One example of similar performance ... Barnes factory loadings for 165 gr from the Barnes site. They don't sell WSM in 180 gr. The WSM is $2 more per box.

300 WSM 3130
300 Win Mag. 3120

Another example ... from Norma. WSM is $6 more per box.

300 WSM and 300 Win Mag with 180 gr Bondstrike. Advertised velocity for both is 3084.

The 300 Win Mag will always be more popular. The same can be said for the 308 vs it's competitors, the 7MM Mag vs it's competitors, the 270 vs it's competitors, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
Having just gone through this, the rifle I wanted played a role into cartridge choice with the WM and WSM were front runners. I settled on the Tikka (having considered Browning, Christensen, Bergara, Seekins, etc.). I could not confidently find a factory 300 WM rifle that would allow me to run heavy 30 cals with the bullet not crammed down into the brass past the neck - shoulder junction without a new barrel or considerable modification. The SAMMI chamber was not intended for 200+ gr bullets. I ended up choosing the Tikka T3x (being closer to a mid length action when outfitted with the LA bolt stop) in 300 WSM, bought a Hell’a Canyon magazine, and ended up with 30 cal mag performance with bullet seated where it should be in the case (205 Berger elite hunter for reference).

If one does not intend to hand load, 300 wsm is a non-starter IMO. In the end, neither are wrong… and for all I do with hand loads, I could end up missing an animal because I goofed up on that particular round.