300wsm primer options

Starting to load for a 300wsm using Berger 168VLD Hunters and I have a few options for primers. What would you pick to start with? Don't have any match primers in large rifle, so I can use CCI 200 or 250's (will probably go magnum), CCI 34's or Rem 9 1/2 magnum. I'm also trying to find some 185 VLD or hybrid hunters if I can, but they are scarce right now.

I've tried several different variations of Magnum primers. All were within a couple feet per second and accuracy was consistent. Pick one and run with it.

I loaded up 24rds to start with the CCI 34's and running a seating depth test first for the VLD's. Going to start with RL-15 and see how it does with the 168's.

I run some ball powders in my larger calibers and use mag primers with them just because my OLD reloading bibles "tell me so". But for stick powders I'd go with whichever shoots better-- range time will tell ;)

Heck, I used to drop a few grains of Blue Dot or Unique (first drop, next to the primer) in my COMPRESSED 243 and 270 loads using SLOW milsurp powder back in the day. It worked and I have all my fingers and eyes today ;) But really, the consistency factor is what you are after and I agree: RL-15 (and any stick powder) can run a standard primer with consistent results in about any caliber except maybe 50 cal.?

In almost all of my wsm’s I tend to prefer 215M’s for primers, strangely enough my saum’s have always seemed to prefer 210M’s despite the charges only being a few grains less.

That said, I’ve yet to have any problems using standard primers in my wsm’s of that is all I could get unless using a bulky ball powder then I definitely prefer a magnum primer

Last edited:
I've loaded up a lot of WSMs, and never saw much difference between a standard or magnum primer and not really any preference between brands.

I mainly use Federal 215s just because I tend to keep them on hand.

Back