338 lap imp for backpacking

Hi guys Im getting a new rifle finished off in the next few weeks and I'm wanting to know if it will be too heavy and long to backpack with. Iv only hiked in once with my old rifle. It has a proof reasearch Carbon barrel that 30 inches long and sitting in a a5 McMillan . With a nightforce atacR I think it should be around 13-14 pounds.
Cheers from Australia

My pack in rifle is 6 pounds 7 ounces.

I wouldn't want to carry 13-14 pounds in just my rifle, with all of my other gear.
You Aussies must be a lot tougher than I am!

My pack in rifle is 6 pounds 7 ounces.

I wouldn't want to carry 13-14 pounds in just my rifle, with all of my other gear.
You Aussies must be a lot tougher than I am!

Depends on a lot of factors----how tough you are, how far you are packing in, what is your total pack weight, elevation etc.
My longer range backpacking specific rigs weigh anywhere from 7 to 10 pounds and they will get me out to around 1200 yards if I wish to.
I personally would not want to carry more than a 10 pound rifle on a pack trip. However, if I was only going in a mile or so, I would maybe carry a larger rig if I had a site set up as an ambush point.

Randy

Have carried a 13lb (with bipod), 29" barreled 338 Lap Imp for hundreds of miles for several years--some of that in some of the steepest, nastiest terrain possible. Kifaru Gun Bearer. I've beefed up the upper portion of the Gun Bearer just a bit, but other than that, no problem. When you get off-trail bushwacking is when that size gun starts to be a pain, no doubt.

I am having a 28" proof research barrel put on my 338LM, and I am also considering having it improved. Its a Rem 700 MLR with a 6-20x50 Extended Range MK4 (34mm tube). Hoping the whole gun is under 10lbs when done. I plan to pack it into the back country, then glass and shoot from a hilltop. Should save me in the long run compared to hiking the extra miles with a less capable light weight rifle.
I am also justifying the weight penalty by losing a few pounds out of the rest of my gear. Saving 3lbs with new pack, 2lbs with new tent, 1 lb with EE quilt.

Thanks for all the replys. I'm think I will be packing in about 3-4 miles. Iv got an eberlystock gunslinger pack but I'm thinking it will be too small for a 3 day hike in. Cheers boys

Have carried a 13lb (with bipod), 29" barreled 338 Lap Imp for hundreds of miles for several years--some of that in some of the steepest, nastiest terrain possible. Kifaru Gun Bearer. I've beefed up the upper portion of the Gun Bearer just a bit, but other than that, no problem. When you get off-trail bushwacking is when that size gun starts to be a pain, no doubt.

I hope you shaved a few heads in the process out there. Sounds like most of those miles weren't chasing sheep.

I hope you shaved a few heads in the process out there. Sounds like most of those miles weren't chasing sheep.

Not sure I follow you. Was there a question I could answer for you about carrying a rifle that weight and size for hundreds of miles--some of that in the steepest, nastiest terrain possible?

Hey mtnwrunner what are the stats on your 10 pound rifle that's good for 1200. If you don't mind sharing

Well, I have several and they are all based on the 300 winny. A custom ruger 77, a custom weatherby in 300 win mag and a custom 6.5 saum although 1200 is stretching it a bit for a big game animal with the 6.5. It is pretty easy to get an accurate long range 300 win mag to the 10 pound mark. Am currently working on a backpacking specific 308 norma with a hardy carbon barrel that will be under 10 pounds.

Randy

Not sure I follow you. Was there a question I could answer for you about carrying a rifle that weight and size for hundreds of miles--some of that in the steepest, nastiest terrain possible?

I assumed u were military at some point. If so , then I'm sure you follow me. If not , congrats on carrying your weapon in some of the nastiest terrain possible.

Nope. Not military. Just many, many hard and heavy wilderness backcountry backpack hunts for a number of years. Packing that rifle the last six seasons and utilizing it properly in some of God's country has put a fair amount of meat in the freezer.

I don't think the military has any 338 Lap Improved chamberings. Mine pushes a 300g Berger EH at just a smidge under 3K fps over a 100g of Retumbo--fairly typical of an improved 338 Lap with similar barrel length. Typically average 150fps or more over the 338 Lap case, which just looking at it, is begging to be straightened and sharp-shouldered. Mine is Kirby Allen's version--the 338 AX (Allen Xpress).

Nope. Not military. Just many, many hard and heavy wilderness backcountry backpack hunts for a number of years. Packing that rifle the last six seasons and utilizing it properly in some of God's country has put a fair amount of meat in the freezer.

I don't think the military has any 338 Lap Improved chamberings. Mine pushes a 300g Berger EH at just a smidge under 3K fps over a 100g of Retumbo--fairly typical of an improved 338 Lap with similar barrel length. Typically average 150fps or more over the 338 Lap case, which just looking at it, is begging to be straightened and sharp-shouldered. Mine is Kirby Allen's version--the 338 AX (Allen Xpress).

I don't know the difference between 338 LAP Imp and 333 LAP. I do know that some sniper teams use the AI platform in 338 LAP on a regular basis tho. I am not a long range shooter by any means. I only do archery hunts when I go west. Eastern hunts do not allow much opportunity for distance. Sorry for the assumption. Sounded like you were describing Afghanistan to me.

Back